FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2013 12:56 PM  #1

Donor Seats for a 1965 Fastback

I just want to confirm that 1995 Mustang seats will work just fine in a 1965. I have a junk yard nearby that has several mid 90s mustangs.

Before spending the $50 I want to confirm that someone has actually done this. Seats will need new foam and covers. they were all exposed to rain and sun.

Thanks.

8/08/2013 1:04 PM  #2

Re: Donor Seats for a 1965 Fastback

If they have more than One set let me know.  I am in need of a little project

8/08/2013 1:14 PM  #3

they had 4-5 seats of modern mustang seats. Some with electronics most without. Old man wants about 50 bucks per set and his workers pull them. This is East of Dallas location out in the country. I have pictures I would have to transfer from my phone.

8/08/2013 1:31 PM  #4

Mochaman wrote:

I just want to confirm that 1995 Mustang seats will work just fine in a 1965. I have a junk yard nearby that has several mid 90s mustangs.

Before spending the $50 I want to confirm that someone has actually done this. Seats will need new foam and covers. they were all exposed to rain and sun.

Thanks.

If you have to do a rebun and rcover on the junk yard seats  you would be better served redoing your present seats with the TMI upgrade buns and covers.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/08/2013 6:24 PM  #5

I agree with Rudi. With new buns, the '95 seats would be too tall.
Others have used Fox seats, which I presume are not as tall.

Last edited by whlnut (8/08/2013 6:26 PM)

8/08/2013 7:06 PM  #6

mochaman, I used 89 fox body seats in my 65

8/09/2013 6:21 AM  #7

I used early 90's fox seats. TMI can make new seat covers to match early mustang interior. I you need to recover them watch what year you buy. I bought a set of mustang seat that were some where from mid to late 90's. (not sure of exact year) I could not find descant seat covers for them just do a little homework! 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/09/2013 9:07 AM  #8

I appreciate all of the excellent advice. One advantage I have is my direct neighbor owns a Hot Rod upholstery shop and has wanted to match my interior with my paint scheme, so him and his wife are making the seat covers from scratch. RT 66 Hot Rod upholstry in Rowlett Texas.

His main concern was the foam was in good shape and to avoid the electronics. So I will go look for the best foam.

As far as height concerns. Both my wife and I are short. So having a taller seat would actually help my wife drive.

I will look for a slightly older fox body car, but I didn't see any yesterday.

8/12/2013 10:26 AM  #9

I installed 90-93 GT Fox seats. (24" backs). If you can get convertable seats those are the best since they have shoulder belts loops. This style is the one TMI makes matching colors to the vintage years.I will have mine recoverd in pony red style this winter. I think using the newer seats is better then redoing the old seats because you get the advantage of locking seat back, good head rest and adjustable lumbar support. Since this picture I have also added 3-point seat belts and shoulder belt loops.I also changed the stearing wheel for easier access.

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

8/12/2013 11:21 AM  #10

Fox seats through '92 work well and, for my bucket, are quite comfy.  We have 89 Vert seats in our 66 with the TMI Pony covers and new foam.  About the 'vert seats though.  Yes, the  vert seats have the  seat belt loops which are very handy.  Butt (TS&T), they DO NOT recline much...only a click or two...due to the intrusion of the vert works into the rear seating area.  On our 66 coupe I found a cheap 92 pass. seat and used that adjuster on the our 89 pass seat.  Now Mom has a reclining seat to nap in on long trips, and she has used it a couple of times which tells me that the seats are pretty comfy.  Otherwise I might be hearing that anoying whining noise, which MS has referred to, from the pass side of the car.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/12/2013 11:33 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/14/2013 10:34 PM  #11

So this is the test fit of the passenger seat. Seats came from a 1995 car so the fabric is molded/melted to the seat foam. My upholstrey guy didn't think it too much of a problem. Great thing is I took seat rails off my original seats and the width was exact. Used the two front bolt holes and had to drill two in the back part of seat frame. No issues at all.

8/14/2013 10:59 PM  #12

I had a set out of a 2002.  The lower buns are too tall for me to fit under the stock steering wheel.  

For reference, I lowered the seat pans 1 3/4" ICIRC.

8/15/2013 8:18 AM  #13

Mochamans seats look like the ones I started with. Mine are from a 93 Mustang and were custom wrapped with leather to make them look like the o/e seats.

Last edited by Rudi (8/15/2013 8:20 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/15/2013 10:33 AM  #14

ok Ed, I live 15 miles east of downtown Royse City.  We have got to get together.
JW

8/15/2013 6:09 PM  #15

I would love to come see your car James. Your website is what led me to this forum. I am betting a couple hours staring at your car could fix some of my stumbling blocks. I try not to be "that guy" asking a million questions.

I am south of Royse CIty on 548 about 5-6 miles.

8/15/2013 7:06 PM  #16

Mochaman wrote:

I appreciate all of the excellent advice. One advantage I have is my direct neighbor owns a Hot Rod upholstery shop and has wanted to match my interior with my paint scheme, so him and his wife are making the seat covers from scratch. RT 66 Hot Rod upholstry in Rowlett Texas.

His main concern was the foam was in good shape and to avoid the electronics. So I will go look for the best foam.

As far as height concerns. Both my wife and I are short. So having a taller seat would actually help my wife drive.

I will look for a slightly older fox body car, but I didn't see any yesterday.

here's a used pair for 100.   this is a great price.  I see them on ebay for about 400 to 500 in crappy shape.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3991762100.html

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

11/14/2017 5:48 AM  #17

I know it’s been awhile since all of these posts went around but sure hope folks involved can help resurrect the subject. Have already emailed Mochaman (Ed) recently which has really helped. Currently have original pony seats that my back did not agree with on the recent Florida Bash drive. Am planning on recovering Fox GT (front only) seats with new buns using TMI vintage to match color I have now.

I’m checking junk/salvage yards but would appreciate if anyone could let me know of any hopefully as close to Houston as possible.

Am not in a hurry since we have plenty of time before the next bash drive to do this.

Thanks big time!

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

11/14/2017 8:02 AM  #18

John, we have 87 "Low Back" (24" I think) Fox seats with the small head-rest.  They came from a convertible which provides the seatbelt loop...really handy.  They DO NOT recline very far as they were in a Vert with top mech. in the quarters.  This was easily remedied by swapping the adjusters with one from a coupe.  TMI makes the new foam and upholstery in the pattern of the 66 Pony.  When I bought ours they did not provide the "Pony Panel" for these seats as it was too wide.  They did include the medallion and made the rear covers for me without the Pony Panel so it all matched.  I now understand that they have a modified Pony Panel that will work on the Fox seats so you could probably have fronts that match your existing back seat.

I did the recover myself and it wasn't overly intense.  I had done just enough upholstery work in the past to be dangerous so that helped.  The stock seat rails can be used on the Fox seats very easily.  I made as set of 1/2 X 1 1/2 strap steel adapters so I could use the Fox rails and get a bit more rear seat position.  This 1/2" raise, though, was just enough to cause thigh/steering wheel interference so when we did the "major" on the car in 2013 I put "troughs" in the drivers seat pan for the adapters...now all is good.  Another thing I did was add two extra springs to the lowers.  You'll see what I mean when you get them apart.  This stiffened the lower cushion just enough for our bottoms/backs...you may not want that but we have over 25K on these seats and neither my back (disc trouble) or my very sensitive comfort monitor in the passenger seat have any complaints.

I think you can find these seats up through 93 in various Mustangs, MK 7s, or T-Birds.  If you find a set with the tall headrests you can change them for the small ones.  Also, there are no electrics in the Mustang seats to be dealt with other than the power lumbar which you will want to keep.  That is a real life-saver for me on the long trips.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/14/2017 8:30 AM  #19

Thanks for the info Bob!

Steve/Glenn mentioned your adventures in doing this so I really do appreciate your input.

Strained back is almost back to normal however this task not being overly intense is very encouraging. I have an adjustable steering column so hopefully it may remedy the additional 1/2” issue, we’ll see.

😀

11/14/2017 10:05 AM  #20

Has anyone tried just adapting the fox headrest to their 66 seats.? I have standard seats in my 66 and I'm happy with them but would like headrest. The TMI headrest look good but the $300+ price doesn't fit my budget. I'm 6'3 so I don't want to go to a taller seat. That would be a problem with my steering wheel.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

11/14/2017 2:27 PM  #21

I put the TMI headrests on my stock 65 seats. It was an easy install and they look nice and function well. I don’t remember what I paid for them, but it certainly was not $300. Someone is always having a sale.

11/15/2017 5:22 AM  #22

Bullet Bob wrote:

John, we have 87 "Low Back" (24" I think) Fox seats with the small head-rest.  They came from a convertible which provides the seatbelt loop...really handy.  They DO NOT recline very far as they were in a Vert with top mech. in the quarters.  This was easily remedied by swapping the adjusters with one from a coupe.  TMI makes the new foam and upholstery in the pattern of the 66 Pony.  When I bought ours they did not provide the "Pony Panel" for these seats as it was too wide.  They did include the medallion and made the rear covers for me without the Pony Panel so it all matched.  I now understand that they have a modified Pony Panel that will work on the Fox seats so you could probably have fronts that match your existing back seat.

I did the recover myself and it wasn't overly intense.  I had done just enough upholstery work in the past to be dangerous so that helped.  The stock seat rails can be used on the Fox seats very easily.  I made as set of 1/2 X 1 1/2 strap steel adapters so I could use the Fox rails and get a bit more rear seat position.  This 1/2" raise, though, was just enough to cause thigh/steering wheel interference so when we did the "major" on the car in 2013 I put "troughs" in the drivers seat pan for the adapters...now all is good.  Another thing I did was add two extra springs to the lowers.  You'll see what I mean when you get them apart.  This stiffened the lower cushion just enough for our bottoms/backs...you may not want that but we have over 25K on these seats and neither my back (disc trouble) or my very sensitive comfort monitor in the passenger seat have any complaints.

I think you can find these seats up through 93 in various Mustangs, MK 7s, or T-Birds.  If you find a set with the tall headrests you can change them for the small ones.  Also, there are no electrics in the Mustang seats to be dealt with other than the power lumbar which you will want to keep.  That is a real life-saver for me on the long trips.

BB

Bob, (and others thinking of this conversion) I put the same convertible seats in my 65 fastback, to make them recline, you only needed to drill out a rivet in the hinge/recline assembly.. Here is a link for doing the conversion on '99 seats, you will see the latch is very similar to the older Fox bodied seats.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/recline.htm

11/15/2017 6:23 AM  #23

Not sure if this link/path will work but seat shown in this Mustang 360 older post from August 2000 is the seat frame, etc I’m hoping to locate and reupholster. Believe these are similar to or same as those Bob posted.

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9450645+w650+h650+cr1+st0/p95218_image_large.jpg

Thanks B.B. & RickD.

11/15/2017 6:41 AM  #24

Those seats shown in that link are the exact ones I have in my 65. I think they came out of an 89 Vert!

11/15/2017 6:52 AM  #25

RickD wrote:

Bob, (and others thinking of this conversion) I put the same convertible seats in my 65 fastback, to make them recline, you only needed to drill out a rivet in the hinge/recline assembly.. Here is a link for doing the conversion on '99 seats, you will see the latch is very similar to the older Fox bodied seats.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/recline.htm

Thanks for that very good info, Rick.

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.