FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2013 9:25 AM  #1

4 lug 13" wheels and disc brakes anyone interested

I've figured out what it will take to get a 13" to have disc brakes. The question is who here would be interested in such a thing? The reason being is anyone thinking of this swap will have to change out their hub to a new machined hub that I have cad designed to be a bolt on replacment with a smaller OD. To be able to fit a 13" rim you will have to use a 9.10" rotor to make this happen. So if anyone here is interested please pm me.

9/10/2013 9:44 AM  #2

Re: 4 lug 13" wheels and disc brakes anyone interested

It's great that you figured this out. However I'm wondering how a new hub could be any better than an old one turned down in diameter.  If you turn down a stock one too much of course it would be too weak around the studs to be safe so how is a smaller hub with the same bolt circle going to be any better?  I'm not knocking your efforts, just trying to understand it.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/10/2013 9:53 AM  #3

If this was to be done with the original hub the of would have to be turned down extensively. From about 6" clear down to roughly 5 and 3/8 for a slip fit it would be only about an 1/8 away from the stud. With a new hub that's smaller in od and has a  thicker flange it will be sturdier in the long run also it will be much less prone to cracking unlike a turn down oem hub. 

9/10/2013 9:59 AM  #4

This shows the oem once pressed out with a caliper gage showing where the hub would have to be machined down to make this happen, this is very sparse as compared to what I'd like to see it machined down to seance these are made from cast. But with a thicker hub machined to this od for this specific application and with having a thicker flange I would feel much more at ease.

9/10/2013 10:04 AM  #5

Most newer cars use hubs that have a thicker flange which helps to counteract the smaller od that the hub has to be in order to work. Plus newer cars hubs are mainly made from alluminum and some steel instead of cast which are stronger.

9/10/2013 10:10 AM  #6

I've had a brand new hub break on me simply pressing in a bearing race. The force was not excessive, either. Maybe I got a crappy hub.  A thicker flange might work on your project. Is there any room for increasing the inside diameter of the disc to leave a little more meat on the hub?

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/10/2013 10:23 AM  #7

The key is being that specific size hub with out that it will not fit in the rotor nour will you have a combo that will fit in a 13" rim

9/10/2013 10:39 AM  #8

9/10/2013 11:04 AM  #9

9/10/2013 11:18 AM  #10

True74yamaha wrote:

The key is being that specific size hub with out that it will not fit in the rotor nour will you have a combo that will fit in a 13" rim

Understood...but can the inside diameter of the rotor, where the hub goes, be enlarged at all through machining to give the hub any more room?  Just askin'.  Seems you might be able to take an 1/8 inch out of there to keep a little more material on the hub.

9/10/2013 11:29 AM  #11

I wouldn't suggest. The max the hub could gain would be just a few thousands under 5.50 that's the rotors Id where the hub slips in. New hubs aren't a bad thing at all stronger give you the convenience of being able to go to disc brakes allows you to in future if want to keep four lug to go up to a bigger rotor version that I have designed to fit in the 14" rims. Plus this is a bigger convenience over other kits that require you to upgrade to 14" rims with a certain offset which are hard to find. Plus many name brand kits use new hubs in their kits so that it will fit in the rotor they sell you. So really new hub isn't a big deal for added convenience over 50+ yr old drums

9/10/2013 4:58 PM  #12

This all who is really interested in this swap

9/11/2013 10:25 AM  #13

Anyone here interested In the 10.51" rotor upgrade for 6cyl mustangs and similar fords? This will fit a stock 14" rim

9/24/2014 1:20 PM  #14

I know this is a old post but, did Waid ever make a braket for this?

Has anyone actually done one yet?

9/24/2014 6:21 PM  #15

I was gonna fab brackets but then scrapped the idea. The other problem with doing 13" wheels is the limited rotor choices to give proper offset. I mad a prototype set up that fit stock 13" wheels that use geo metro parts calipers and rotors

9/24/2014 8:50 PM  #16

Hey True74yamaha,

Are you interested in getting rid of your parts so I can continue where you guys left off? This would save me from having to modify my hub.

9/24/2014 9:35 PM  #17

I can see what I still have.  You need geo rotors And calipers. If I can't find the hubs then geo hub could be an option with a machined bearing spacer to make it all mesh

9/24/2014 10:32 PM  #18

I have my stock hubs but I'd rather not machine them if you still have yours. Also I think you guys where mentioning they were thinner then the newer after market ones.

Oh ok so I could use geo metro hubs? I thought that the whole trick behind this mod was using the original ford hubs.

9/25/2014 6:18 PM  #19

No you shouldn't use them. the first pics show how much you'd need to modify your stock hubs.  Or have a bearing spacer machined so the geo hub would fit. I checked in my garage I do not have the new hubs for this modification I do apologize.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.