FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2013 3:52 PM  #1

Garrage points, very sorry MS, not the way

Referencing the   1965 GT upper Steering Column Bearing Retainer   thread;
"....that should be good for TWO GARAGE POINTS for MustangSteve.  1 for the screws and one for the part."
                                                                                                                                                             MS

Garage points are a creation of MustangSteve, a humorous way of keeping track of those "give aways" we do while clearing out junk from our storage(garage) or helping a Buddy out with rare otherwise unobtainble stuff or junk from our garage
MustangSteve deems it worth a garage point for each part freely GIVEN away (giver paying shipping not required)
There is no actual score board anywhere other than in each of our own heads. It's just for grins.
With that being said;...MS yer scoring is backwards.
Now I haven't reached this conclusion haphazardly or with out contemplation and consultation.
Location. Hotel room during the Ovila Bash....Daze, 6sally6 and I(others were there too??) had an afternoon's discussion on garage points and how to score them. Later according to MS we were crossed up on the scoring.
Location Cruis-N-Bash, A further discussion with Mr.Tim, t(Terry), j-kb and I. We came to the same consensus. We all agree Even Mr.Tim. MS has it backwards.
Now hold on thar MS, don't get all puffed up....first contemplate this.
What we really are doing is finding a way of rationalizing the giving away of precious items (junk) we've saving/collecting/hoarding/to lazy to throw out, that are cluttering up our garages. Results of the Old Packrat Syndrome...Dang, I got's OPS..... And while I think MS concept of "Garage Points" is truely ingenious, His method of rewarding the GIVER wth 1 Point, a High Point system like Football, Basketball, Baseball, & Fighter Ace, Misses the mark. Cos we ain't patting our selves on the back for being a Giver or Good Samaritan, No! Nope! Neyet! Nunca!
The real way is a LOW Point system, like Golf. With our OPS and Garages being our Handicap.
We already have too much JUNK. IE a high Point total. Each item does have a value of 1 point, too much stuff=too many points. Give an item and it's 1 Point goes with it. The object is having a CLEAN Garage, with the Unobtainable Perfect Score of ZERO!! VIOLA!!
 And while sellng stuff does reduce the volume of what we've gathered, it rewards us with cash, no extra credit there. And it don't have that satisfaction of having a Good Score.
SO SORRY MS, You may be the Origionator, BUTT We the practitioners, and Denizens Of the FYI Forum, Are the Perfectors.
"Garage Points" is a LOW Point Total Game.
V Respy

Tubo

Last edited by Tubo (4/13/2013 3:52 PM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/13/2013 5:33 PM  #2

Re: Garrage points, very sorry MS, not the way

I don't have a dog in this fight, so let me issue an objective observation. The reinterpretation of Garage Points by The Marine Mustangers makes no sense at all. Making a low point total the goal will result in shops that look like Indiana Jones' warehouse.  The way MS envisioned GPs, useful Mustang parts will travel from a dusty shelf to one of our beloved old cars where the "new" part solves a difficult supply problem. Why shouldn't the giver receive a feeling of wellbeing for his generousity, as well as an unrecorded anywhere Garage Point? If the MMer want to use their new scoring system, call the points something else, like say, ego points? 

4/13/2013 6:03 PM  #3

Tubo, Yer FIRED !!!

You and the drinkin' buddies are way off base.  I made the game, I defined the system, therefore you are automatically WRONG if you think I am wrong.

The basis is this:  If I can get rid of one piece of junk out of my own garage by giving it to some one else so it can be put to use, I am entitled to one garage point.  In the even that I can convince someone to take a piece of junk I have been storing, that they do not really need or want, and store that POJ in their own garage, then that is a Gold Point for me. 

The whole purpose of the game is the one giving away the parts gets a cleaner garage out of the deal.  The more points I have, the cleaner my garage will be.   Yes, there are inequities if you only have 30 pieces of junk in yours and I have 1,000 pieces of junk in mine, but so what?  It is just a game with no reward or favor, and certainly no hope of a totally clean garage for any one of us on this forum.  The one with 1,000 pieces will likely have another 1,000 pieces even if they give away 1,000 pieces.

So, basically, one part out of my hand = one point IN my hand.  A simple one for one swap.  May the cleanest garage win...

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/13/2013 6:09 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2013 7:11 PM  #4

Yeah Right Hornman, go ahead be a suckup, Hehheh
IDK which is funnier "Marine Mustangers",(which is good!) or that MS gave exactly the answer I figgured he would.
Forum has been way too quiet, and needed a bit of controversy, Jus doing my bit, Hehheh

Corky

4/13/2013 7:55 PM  #5

Tubo, I thought your thing was keeping the peace, not destroying it.

4/13/2013 8:12 PM  #6

Hornman wrote:

Ummmm! As I sit here in my shop, I think there should be points for potential! And beleve me I have potential. I think the last thing I gave away was a rear axle. But based on the things in sight right now, and not to mention what is up stairs, I got a lot of potential points. Just gotta find a good recipient for some of it. But that will have to come after the race car is ready!

4/13/2013 8:47 PM  #7

Hornman wrote:

No Wait
Yes Nuse Rachet, I'll take my meds
low point

4/14/2013 3:39 AM  #8

good idea,someone moght have some parts they are never gonna use,while someone out there desperatly needs them

4/14/2013 7:58 AM  #9

Corky, I know your references by now...

Nurse Rachet   

jerry

4/14/2013 8:37 AM  #10

...im losing. Probably in last place. I have the most junk of anyone. I have 15 brake pedals and ten fastback interior quarter trim sets...I dont even own a fastback...and spindles from a 67 I think...six of them..and i dont own a 67.... I think I need a therapist. Or a booth at a swap meet!

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

4/14/2013 10:34 AM  #11

So that's what that thing is on that yellow shield: a cuckoo.

Last edited by Hornman (4/14/2013 10:35 AM)

4/14/2013 1:27 PM  #12

Deb wrote:

...im losing. Probably in last place. I have the most junk of anyone. I have 15 brake pedals and ten fastback interior quarter trim sets...I dont even own a fastback...and spindles from a 67 I think...six of them..and i dont own a 67.... I think I need a therapist. Or a booth at a swap meet!

In all fairness, Deb, shouldn't Larry be accorded some credit for all of those potential garage point items too? Perhaps group therapy could help?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/14/2013 10:22 PM  #13

jerryF wrote:

Corky, I know your references by now...

Nurse Rachet

OH MAN!! I HATED that -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have-!!!!!!!!!!! Medication time!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/15/2013 10:14 PM  #14

Ron68 wrote:

Deb wrote:

In all fairness, Deb, shouldn't Larry be accorded some credit for all of those potential garage point items too? Perhaps group therapy could help?

Nope...he has his OWN pile of junk...err garage points. I think I have a complete set of six banger front drums too..and a six bell housing..and a 289 block from a good running engine ....rhat SOMEBODY Didnt number the pistons or rods or anything when they tore it down..and some 289 heads with rotten mayonnaise in the spark plug holes ...;)

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

4/16/2013 7:05 AM  #15

If anyone is looking for garage points recipient for 17" wheels and tires, or anything else for that matter, then I'm your Guy.

4/16/2013 7:07 AM  #16

Then again, maybe you could get chief to put a pillow over my face.....

4/16/2013 10:36 AM  #17

SORRY, YA'LL DO KEEP TRACK - DIDN"T REALIZE TILL TODAY

Just wondering, what good is it to anyone but the giver if no-one keeps up with the points. Seems a little pointless. I have given away several parts to both members and non-members, an what I get out of it is helping somebody that needs the parts, or is working on tight budget. It makes you feel good that your "Junk" is someone elses "treasure". Thats all i need!

Last edited by fgsjeff (4/17/2013 10:44 AM)

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

4/17/2013 8:43 AM  #18

A friend of our family once said "Never refuse andything someone wants to give you. You never know who might need it and you can help them out at that time". Unfortunately, I believed him and now have to make some tough decisions about what stuff will accompany me on my move ....

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.