FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2013 9:20 PM  #1

Any of y'all use the Scarebird Disc Brake kit when doing front brakes?

I bought the brackets several months back from a board member and am now "noodling" the  parts buying and install.
Let me hear from you .....how did it work out fer ya?!
thanx
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/15/2013 10:35 PM  #2

Re: Any of y'all use the Scarebird Disc Brake kit when doing front brakes?

6sally6 wrote:

Let me hear from you .....
6sal6

Mike I realize you prolly have an extra set of S-10 brakes, however don't put'em on yer Mustang.
Leave the Scarebird be.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/16/2013 7:39 AM  #3

Im running scarebird.. had them on for a long time now.  I believe I was one of the first guys to run them on my mustang.  They work great!  They don't affect the offset.  Fit well.  Parts are easy to get and very affordable.  For me at the time, it was the most affordable way to go.  I'm not sure any more but I suspect that they are still a cost effective way to convert to discs but I haven't priced them lately. 

Right now I'm finishing up my MS power brake kit.  Just need to bleed the system.  Then later in the year I'll be adding the rear discs set up (again a MS product).  In the future at some point I might upgrade to a larger front brake system but I'm running 15" rims that I really like so it may never happen.  In short, they work well and were a great upgrade over stock.

Enjoy~

4/16/2013 9:58 AM  #4

Glad you answered......did you use the Toyota discs? Did you need to machine anything?
Still "mulling it over."
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/16/2013 11:50 AM  #5

Like I said before it was a long time ago.. I know they have improved the brackets since then.  The parts I used at the time are as follows (I converted to a dual m/c at the same time):

-Scarebird brackets
-1974 Maverick manual disc/drum m/c
-’83 Ford Ranger Rotors (2WD)
-’83 Chevy S10 Calipers (2WD)
-’83 Chevy S10 Brake Pads (2WD)
-’66 Mustang Inner bearings (pair)
-’66 Mustang Outer bearings (pair)
-’79 Caprice Brake hose (pair)
-’83 Ford Ranger Bearing Seal (pair)
-pair of Banjo Bolts
-pair Cotter Pins *not pictured

Those brakes have been stopping plenty of rangers and s10s all these years.  I bought everything new a little at a time.  None of those parts are expensive.. I think the calipers were $12 each and the rotors were $23.  So no machinine was done.

I have my info here:  http://budgetrestomod.weebly.com/disc-brakes---scarebird.html
if you want to see what I did.

4/16/2013 11:56 AM  #6

couple of extra things I could mention.  the offset did not change in my swap.  The 14" rims I ran at the time fit with out issue. It was easy.  If i were doing it again today, I can't say I would or wouldn't do it again.  I would price out my options and go from there.  I plan to spend very little on the rear discs and so far in the power brake swap I only have $90 in the project. 

4/16/2013 5:08 PM  #7

Tubo wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Let me hear from you .....
6sal6

Mike I realize you prolly have an extra set of S-10 brakes, however don't put'em on yer Mustang.
Leave the Scarebird be.

Tubo

Hey Corkeeeeeeee,long time no hear!!
What-sup about the skeerbird brakes?
What  eye bee  missing?!
6s6

Last edited by 6sally6 (4/16/2013 9:24 PM)

4/16/2013 11:45 PM  #8

First of all thay ain't Ford they're GM. Which is a deal breaker to start. Second they're a bit on the weak side, not horrible ya understand, just a bit weak. For your 15' wheels use the Granada or SSTB 12's.

Tubo

Last edited by Tubo (4/17/2013 8:59 AM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/17/2013 10:13 AM  #9

Won't nobody know they ain't FoMoCo calipers,unless you tell somebody!
Compared to the drum set up that came on the car....these should be a BIG improvement.
Don't plan any auto cross. Ranger/S-10 brakes stop them pretty good and are about the same weight as the 66.
About your plans...sounds "bad-butt", just can add one thing.....18" tires are wayy more pricey than 17's.
Stay in touche'
6s6

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.