FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2013 9:01 AM  #1

Alignment with adjustable strut rods on a 1965 Mustang.

After I got my rack and pinion steering half a year ago, my rack was now lifted on the cradle so that the angle between the lower control arm and the tie rods was equal ( http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2049). That would affect the  bumpsteering to a minimum. Also my fixed strut rods were replaced with adjustable strut rods for more fine tuning. Time for a new alignment.

The new adjustable strut rods

The old fixed ones.

The new adjustable strut rods

So I went to the align mechanic, again. A few months ago he aligned the car because of the new rack and pinion. My 1965 Mustang was the first old Mustang he had ever done with an alignment.  The alignment equipment he uses is from Hunter, USA made, and uses a 3D technic.
After one hour examening he wasn’t for sure how to align the car in this new situation where the caster could be set by adjustable strut rods and by adding, removing shims. And when one was set it changed the other settings. How to start. I had also bought shims this time and arrange it in a box so that would simplify the job a little bit. These shims had also engraved sizes, 1/8”, 1/16” , 1/32”and 1/64”. The last time I had a box from my mechanic complete with shims of Ford, GM etc with no marks, little difference in thickness and was quite a job to find the right one.

So I contacted Steve Wilkes again, who also adviced me with the spindles and the rack and pinion steering. After some email exchange there was a plan born for the alignment.
The goal was: Caster +3, Camber 0, Toe in 1/8”

1-set the adjustable strut rods the same length as the old one, in a non stress position on the bushing.
(When you first start the alignment, you want the lower control arm to be 90 degrees to the axis of the lower control arm bushing, not forced into a forward or rearward condition that would put stress on the bushing. SW )

2-set the caster to maximum what possible is about +2.5º or more if possible
( I do not like to have a large difference in shim thickness on the same control arm because when you tighten the bolts, it tries to bend the shaft to conform to the flat areas determined by the shims.  3.5 degrees caster, you can probably get that with shims, depending on how long your UCA mounting bolts are. SW)

3-set camber to 0º  (zero degrees)

4-now shorten the strut rod so that the caster will increas to +3.5º  , meaning   +3º (degrees) and 5' (minutes) 

5-again setting the camber back to 0º (zero degrees), because of the wheel movement forward

6-now, at the end, the toe in will be set to 1/8" which is the same as 0.28 degrees totally, per wheel 1/16" or 0.14 degrees

It was quite a job. He started at 8.30 and finished it at 16:00 hour. This was also included with two short  test drives.

12/23/2013 2:00 AM  #2

Re: Alignment with adjustable strut rods on a 1965 Mustang.

looking good Ron,a lot off shims on one side

should have dropped me a message,about the struts

Last edited by Tonie (12/23/2013 2:09 AM)

12/23/2013 7:42 AM  #3

The pictures of the shims is one of the pictures in between adding/removing shims. The final result gave a less difference between the shims.

Is that you Tonie, from the DMFF? I know from the DMFF forum you make a lot of nice devices and tools for Mustangs. Struts I didn't knew yet.

The next project will be changing my Single Diaphragm brake booster with a Dual Diaphragm brake booster. I do have the booster, but it depends also on when my mechanic has time to build it in the car. As with most mustang parts I experienced , this one will probably fit also not well at once.  I had last year a complete new SSBC discbrake set, but when braking I need to push the brakpedal quite firmly. As I understand from Adelbert, from The Mustang Garage in Belgium, I'm not the only one with this SSBC brake booster issue. So I hope the Dual Diaphragm brake booster will ease this.

Ron

Last edited by RonNL (12/23/2013 7:53 AM)

12/23/2013 8:50 AM  #4

Dat klopt Ron

thats correct Ron, its me

keep updating.

Tonie

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.