FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2013 4:24 PM  #1

Ground problems???????

Just finished wiring in the msd box and finished all the engine wiring.  Like alternator, battery, etc..... I wired everything the same as before I pulled the engine for rebuild, except for the new msd box.  About a month ago I installed the battery and was able to turn on the head lights.  They worked great.  Now I cant even get the head lights to work, which leads me to believe I have a bad ground somewhere.  Is there a step by step way to check using a Digital Multimeter? I am very electric handicapped!!!

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

4/16/2013 4:33 PM  #2

Re: Ground problems???????

I would first check the battery to see if it discharged from sitting while you were rewiring your car.  Use your meter across the pos and neg posts of battery.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

4/16/2013 4:37 PM  #3

Have you checked battery volts?If you pull your ground cable off the battery and read between the chassis and the neg term you should read battery volts 13 to 14 v ,If you read that voltage ground should be ok. If voltage is fine you will need to look elseware.

If its worth doing do it right !

4/16/2013 4:37 PM  #4

I got a new battery.  The old one did discharge from sitting so long.  I got this one last month. It reads 2000 ohms from post to post.

4/16/2013 4:42 PM  #5

KM, just did that and it read 0.9 Volts

4/16/2013 4:54 PM  #6

Ok.  I removed the battery and check from post to post with my DVM.  I had it set on DC voltage at the 20 range.  It only read 1.7.  So im thinking my battery might be dead.......imagine that....brand new.  I will take it to Oriellys later and have it tested and possible charged.  This is the battery I used to run the engine on an engine stand for break in period.  And now that I remember, we didnt have the alternator hooked up.....ill repost later...Any suggestions???

4/16/2013 5:19 PM  #7

I'm an electrickle-cripple too! I did learn you can't have too many grounds on these cars. You know about clean metal and good connections,i'm sure. I ran a ground wire from EACH of my rear tail light housings to a good ground and solved alot of my tail light issues! Solder and shrink tube connections whenever possible. I ran a ground wire for each headlight too.(Did the Halogen up grade with relays) My instrument cluster has a couple of grond wires tooI think. Ground wire from engine to firewall AND ground wire to chassis too.(My battery is in the trunk. Get the point?.....When in doubt ground.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/16/2013 7:49 PM  #8

Tmac wrote:

Ok.  I removed the battery and check from post to post with my DVM.  I had it set on DC voltage at the 20 range.  It only read 1.7.  So im thinking my battery might be dead.......imagine that....brand new.  I will take it to Oriellys later and have it tested and possible charged.  This is the battery I used to run the engine on an engine stand for break in period.  And now that I remember, we didnt have the alternator hooked up.....ill repost later...Any suggestions???

I suggest you put the battery on a trickle charger and charge it up till you get 12-14 volts.

Looks like you learned your first three lessons with electricity

- source voltage is from your battery (12-14 volts) and that needs to be fully charged before troubleshooting other electrical issues.

- Batteries drain as you use them... to run an engine on a stand

- Batteries need to be charged back up as they drain.   Hopefully it gets charged back up by the charging sytem inside the car and not an external trickle charger at autozone.

These principles also work for laptop batteries and cell phone batteries.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.