FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2013 11:57 AM  #1

+1 for dual reservoir master cylinders, -1 for the PO

I was coming home from work last week and while slowing down for a traffic light, the brake pedal went to the floor.  After my initial moment of panic I was able to pump the brakes and stop safely.  As this car is still new to me and doesn't have a functional e-brake, this mod was a life saver.

Upon inspecting the rear brakes, it appears as if the PO installed a rear brake kit that he should have known would be problematic for multiple reasons. 

(1) The passenger's side hose exits the caliper vertically.  Because this car is significantly lowered the sharp lip of the inner wheel well contacts the brake hose every time the suspension compresses more than 1/2". 

(2) The e-brake lever on the caliper contacted the R&C sway bar, making it impossible to install a functional e-brake.

(3) The e-brake levers were stuck in an actuated position, causing the brakes to drag.  I wasn't sure if this was the rear or the brakes dragging (both were brand new), but now I'm sure it was the brakes.

It's pretty aggravating but a week and a chunk of change later, I'm getting ready to install R&C's brake kit which should have no issues with my setup.  There are a hundred other gremlins I could mention that have me irked at the PO, but I suppose it could be much worse.

4/17/2013 11:58 AM  #2

Re: +1 for dual reservoir master cylinders, -1 for the PO

Picture of the blown hose after the fact:

4/17/2013 12:17 PM  #3

Re: +1 for dual reservoir master cylinders, -1 for the PO

Glad to hear you're OK!

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.