FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2014 12:39 PM  #1

Driver Side Port Master Cylinder for Cobra Brakes (Steve/Ultrastang?)

Hello all,

I want to get a master cylinder for my 4 wheel Cobra disc brakes.  I have MS's full pedal/cable clutch/power brake system installed and am getting ready to install the whole Cobra disk brake system on a 65 all drum Coupe.  I did some research in the archives but am confused as to which exactly fits the bill that I want.  I know I want one with a 1" bore, and I want the modern type such as the 2000 V6 Mustang.  The catch is I want it with the ports on the driver's side, which is where I got lost on exactly which one would work.  Can you guys make reccommendations?  Also I know it is better to get a brand new unit vs reman, does it matter what brand (as long as it is new)?  I was looking on Rockauto.com and there are tons of different manufacturers.  Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help.  Oh and one more thing, Steve I still need to order the rear brackets, what is the best way to tell what size 9" rear end I have with the wheels installed on the car?

3/04/2014 5:44 PM  #2

Re: Driver Side Port Master Cylinder for Cobra Brakes (Steve/Ultrastang?)

Here ya go link http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/thread/1357592634.html 1996 Ford Windstar MC 1.00" bore, left hand ports.

3/04/2014 6:42 PM  #3

The 1996 Ford Windstar 4-wheel disc MC has a 1.00" bore, large reservoir and (3) 10mm x 1.00 bubble flare ports. (2) of the ports exit on the left side and one port exits downward at the front end of the MC's body. You can plug the bottom port with a 10mm x 1.0 bubble flare plug or, if you don't have a brake switch mounted on the brake pedal you could possibly install a pressure-activated switch in the 3rd port.

The Windstar MC is around 8-1/8" long. It will fit in a '65/'66 Mustang with a 2.3L Fox vacuum booster but, it's too long to mount on a 5.0L Fox booster (drivers shock tower will be in the way). The Windstar MC will clear an Export brace, if you have one installed.

A 1995 Explorer 4-wheel disc MC is a very close cousin of the ('94-'98) SN95 V6 Mustang 4-wheel disc MC. It's roughly the same 7-1/2" in length, has the same 'level' plastic reservoir (as compared to the sloping reservoir of the Cobra MC) , and it has the same 1-1/16" bore as the '94-'98 V6 Mustang. --the '99-2004 V6 Mustang MC swithced to a slightly smaller 1.00" bore. Unlike the SN95 MC though, the Explorer MC has ports that exit on the left.

This is a comparison of an Explorer MC (very similar to the Mustang V6 MC) next to a Windstar MC.

3/04/2014 7:49 PM  #4

What about using a 1970 mustang power brake mc? Would that be to long with using the fox 2.3l booster?? But those ports are on the driver side plus looks period correct if it matters

3/04/2014 9:50 PM  #5

I don't know of any Ford MC (with a horizontal flange pattern) that won't fit within the engine bay confines of an early Mustang, when using a thinner Fox 2.3L brake booster. With a thicker 5.0L Fox booster, the length of the MC does matter because of the shock tower.

The '67-'70 Midland/Ross or Bendix brake boosters, dimensionally, are very close to the same size as the Fox 5.0L boosters. This means MC lengths do matter.

If you have 4-wheel disc brakes, running a '70 MC may work but, it isn't going to function like it should. 'Working' and 'working correctly' aren't necessarily the same thing. The early Mustang (disc brake) MCs are designed for discs/drums, --not discs/discs. 

A disc/drum MC is not going to displace the same amount of brake fluid to all four wheels, per pedal application, in the same proportions as a disc/disc MC will. 

Each of the primary and secondary pistons of the MC have (at least) two seals per piston. The distance (and volume) between each of the two seals dispenses a given amount of fluid as you are pushing down on the pedal to apply the brakes. You can think of it as two syringes simultaneously having the plunger pushed in at the same rate but the two syringes displaces a different amount of cc's. 

The photo below shows (3) different MCs: Mk VII/SVO 4-wheel disc MC on the left, '87-'93 disc/drum MC at top right, and an SN95 Mustang V6 4-wheel disc MC at bottom right. Notice the differences in distance between the seals of the primary and seconday pistons for each.

Last edited by ultrastang (3/04/2014 9:53 PM)

3/04/2014 10:07 PM  #6

Makes seance I just don't care for the look of the plastic master cylinder

3/04/2014 10:18 PM  #7

I also looked into that Windstar master cylinder, but it has a 1.0625" bore.  When I had that size on my 66, the line pressure, even with the Fox booster, was not enough to actuate my 4 wheel COBRA discs.

I changed to using all 1" bore master cylinders and the brakes feel much better.

That Windstar unit would be great to use if you were using the 5.0 Fox booster or 67-70 Midland or Bendix booster because those boosters have dual diaphragms and apply more force to the MC.  I had one on a 66 using the 5.0 Fox booster.  It would clear the shock tower OK, but a Shelby export brace was a requirement, as was removal of the original welded braces on the shock towers where the original braces bolted on.  The Shelby brace mounts higher on the shock towers so it clears better.

Ultra... Have you measured that Windstar MC at 1.0" bore?  Everything in the published data says it is 1.0625", no matter which engine you have or whether it has anti-lock brakes or not.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/05/2014 3:37 PM  #8

I also searched for a Windstar master cylinder and noticed on Rockauto that they are listed as 1.0625".  I remember when I was looking through the archives MS mention a Cobra or SVO master cylinder that was the correct 1" bore and had the ports on the driver/fender side but I haven't been able to find it again, Steve do remember which one it is?  I believe it was mentioned that the reservoir was "tilted" but could be replaced with a level one from another model.  I will probably go that route if can get the part number.

3/05/2014 5:10 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

I also looked into that Windstar master cylinder, but it has a 1.0625" bore.  When I had that size on my 66, the line pressure, even with the Fox booster, was not enough to actuate my 4 wheel COBRA discs.

I changed to using all 1" bore master cylinders and the brakes feel much better.

That Windstar unit would be great to use if you were using the 5.0 Fox booster or 67-70 Midland or Bendix booster because those boosters have dual diaphragms and apply more force to the MC.  I had one on a 66 using the 5.0 Fox booster.  It would clear the shock tower OK, but a Shelby export brace was a requirement, as was removal of the original welded braces on the shock towers where the original braces bolted on.  The Shelby brace mounts higher on the shock towers so it clears better.

Ultra... Have you measured that Windstar MC at 1.0" bore?  Everything in the published data says it is 1.0625", no matter which engine you have or whether it has anti-lock brakes or not.

Hmmm.... It's been some years ago that I decided to experiment with the Windstar 4-wheel disc MC to see if it would work in an older Mustang, with a 4-wheel disc brake conversion, and what boosters it would/would not fit on, due to the shock tower limitation. I was searching through a MC catalog (at that time) at a local parts store and came across a listing for a full-up (complete new assembly) Windstar MC with reservoir, 10mm ports, and a 1.00" bore. Off hand, I don't know what the part number was for the unit I bought at the time.

It's also been too long since I looked through all this and I'm not certain but, I think '96 was the first year for this style MC in the Windstars. In doing a brief search just now on O'Reilly's site, I see that the '96s spec'd at a 1-1/16" bore. I jumped ahead to the listing for a '98 and found a reman one with no reservoir that listed it as having a 1.00" bore. I also spotted listings for some that had (2) 12mm ports and one port with a 3/8" port.

The Winstar MC I installed on a friend's '65 Mustang was supposed to be a 1.00" bore and had (2) 10mm ports on the left side of the body. I put a plug in the bottom port of the MC but in looking back, I can't remember if the port was metric or if it was an SAE threaded port. --it's just been too long ago to remember all the exact details of what I used.

At any rate, here is a listing for a ('98) Windstar MC body, which lists it as having a 1.00" diameter bore. So, evidently, I wasn't dreaming there was a listing for a Windstar MC with a 1.00" bore.   

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OBH3/102876/01292.oap?year=1998&make=Ford&model=Windstar&vi=1304648&ck=Search_01292_1304648_787&pt=01292&ppt=C0066

10/02/2015 12:59 AM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

That Windstar unit would be great to use if you were using the 5.0 Fox booster or 67-70 Midland or Bendix booster because those boosters have dual diaphragms and apply more force to the MC.

The Midland 67-70 booster is a single diaphragm unit. They were not offered in dual diaphragm.  I know...I'm considering switching from my single diaphram 1967 Midland to a dual diaphragm unit.

The 1996 Winstar MC is in fact 1 1/16" bore (1.0625).  I've been running one for years and measured it myself when I inspected it prior to use.

I'm considering a 1 1/8" bore MC for my 4 wheel disc setup. Need one with ports opposite engine side and no residual valves.  And I prefer a reasonably priced Ford unit, but I might consider the C3 Vette MC if I have to. Any recommendations?

Last edited by 67StangMan (10/02/2015 1:02 AM)

10/02/2015 7:13 AM  #11

I put a MK VII ms in my 68 and it would not stop the car with any authority, it has a 1.125 bore and the line pressures were well below operating standards.
 I happily ended up using a stock 68 disk/drum O/E ms with my disk disk set up using MK VII rear disks.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/02/2015 2:49 PM  #12

If you increase the master cylinder bore size, the brake line pressure will drop, giving you less pressure.  If your intent is to get higher line pressure, you need a smaller bore master cylinder.

10/02/2015 7:42 PM  #13

The bottom port on the 96 Windstar master cylinder is 3/8-24  inverted flare.  The side ports are both metric bubble flare.  I toyed with the idea of putting one of these master cylinders on the Galaxie.  The only way I could do it was with an adaptor to 1/8 pipe thread.   If someone now makes a 3/8-24 inverted flare pressure switch, that would be a clean installation.  

Last edited by Greg B (10/02/2015 7:45 PM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

10/02/2015 7:47 PM  #14

The 1-1/16" bore Windstar MC is long and may not fit if mounted to a thick brake booster in an early Mustang (possible MC-to-shock tower interference issues).

The 1-1/16" bore '95-'01 Explorer (disc/disc) MC is a very close cousin to the 1-1/16" bore '94-'98 V6 Mustang MC ('94-'04 V6 Mustang MC has a 1.00" bore). It has the same length as the '94-'04 V6 Mustang MCs but, the ports on the Explorer MC exit on the drivers side.

The Explorer MC will fit on a stock booster in a '67-'70 Mustang or, on a 2.3L or 5.0L booster in a '65/'66 Mustang. The additional 1/16th inch bore diameter will present a 6% drop in output pressure for the same amount of force put on the brake pedal with a 1.00" bore MC.

I run a '95 Explorer MC in my '69 F100 with a '75 F350 dual diaphragm brake booster. For whatever reason, Ford didn't alter the pedal ratios for power brakes in the trucks until 1978. My booster input rod runs straight from the pedal to the booster (no downward curve of the eyelet on the input rod). This means the pedal ratio with the very powerful F350 dual diaphragm booster is the same as it was with my manual brakes with a 1.00" bore MC.

If you cannot alter the pedal ratio to reduce the mechanical advantage with boosted brakes, another alternative is to change the bore diameter of the MC (go up in size) to reduce the sensitivity of the brakes.

A 1-1/16" bore MC should not be any problem, with a dual diaphragm booster, in stopping the vehicle.

My '69 F100's front brakes (from a 1977 F100) are just essentially the truck version of the Granada front discs.

If you cannot find a MC to meet your requirements with a smaller bore diameter or, a booster strong enough to generate enough force on a larger bore diameter MC that does meet your other requitements, you may have to alter your pedal ratio to something back closer what a manual pedal ratio would be, to get the mechanical advantage that's needed to operate a larger bore MC, that otherwise meets your design requirments of it.

Last edited by ultrastang (10/02/2015 8:02 PM)

10/02/2015 9:51 PM  #15

67StangMan wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

That Windstar unit would be great to use if you were using the 5.0 Fox booster or 67-70 Midland or Bendix booster because those boosters have dual diaphragms and apply more force to the MC.

The Midland 67-70 booster is a single diaphragm unit. They were not offered in dual diaphragm.  I know...I'm considering switching from my single diaphram 1967 Midland to a dual diaphragm unit.

The 1996 Winstar MC is in fact 1 1/16" bore (1.0625).  I've been running one for years and measured it myself when I inspected it prior to use.

I'm considering a 1 1/8" bore MC for my 4 wheel disc setup. Need one with ports opposite engine side and no residual valves.  And I prefer a reasonably priced Ford unit, but I might consider the C3 Vette MC if I have to. Any recommendations?

The thicker Midland and Bendix boosters are dual diaphragm according to all published specs.  Typically the shape of a dual diaphragm booster is the longer, smaller diameter like those two. The thinner boosters are single.  I have not disassembled one to check, but I have heard "dual diaphragm" on these for many years of dealing with Mustangs.  You said you know they are single.  Educate me, please.

10/12/2015 12:36 PM  #16

Ultrastang - What's the length of the'95-'01 Explorer (disc/disc) MC from booster mounting surface to front of MC?

10/12/2015 12:46 PM  #17

MustangSteve wrote:

67StangMan wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

The thicker Midland and Bendix boosters are dual diaphragm according to all published specs.  Typically the shape of a dual diaphragm booster is the longer, smaller diameter like those two. The thinner boosters are single.  I have not disassembled one to check, but I have heard "dual diaphragm" on these for many years of dealing with Mustangs.  You said you know they are single.  Educate me, please.

I have a diagam of the Midland single diaphragm '67-'70 Mustang booster and will scan and post here shortly.
My Midland booster is single diaphragm and is exactly 7" in diameter.  It is 6" from firewall mounting surface to MC mounting surface (inclusing the spacer/breather thingy). What other diameter sizes were offered for the '67 - '70 Mustang Midland boosters? Perhaps a larger diameter, dual diaphragm booster was available as an option? I haven't seen one but would like to.

10/12/2015 7:08 PM  #18

What about the 92 ranger. It is supposed to have the 1" bore in the newer aluminum design with the ports on the driverside. It also doesnt have the extra port on the bottom to plug,

I have one to go on mine whenever I get to that point.  I thinkg Kristang used the ranger master on his car.

10/13/2015 7:04 AM  #19

I am using the 92 Ranger MC on my 66 with four wheel Cobra discs.  Works great and has 1" bore with ports on driver side.  It is not a true four wheel disc master cylinder, though.  Not sure of the exact internal differences.

10/13/2015 2:18 PM  #20

MustangSteve wrote:

I am using the 92 Ranger MC on my 66 with four wheel Cobra discs.  Works great and has 1" bore with ports on driver side.  It is not a true four wheel disc master cylinder, though.  Not sure of the exact internal differences.

Anyone know if the '92 Ranger MC has residual valve(s)?  That's one key difference between drum and disc MC (besides bore and stroke of course).  Usually the residual valve can be unscrewed out of the MC connection port, thus making a drum port useable for disc, assuming bore and stroke are correct.

10/13/2015 2:25 PM  #21

As Steve posted above, he's using that MC with his 4-disc set up without issues.....take the plunge....

10/13/2015 5:57 PM  #22

67StangMan wrote:

Ultrastang - What's the length of the'95-'01 Explorer (disc/disc) MC from booster mounting surface to front of MC?

The Explorer MC is 7-7/16" from flange to tip.

10/15/2015 11:25 AM  #23

67StangMan wrote:

Well, I was mistaken!  I studied the '67-'69 Midland booster diagram I have and it does show dual diaphragms. Here's the '67-'69 Midland booster diagram. Note: The firewall mounting bracket is not shown.

Last edited by 67StangMan (10/15/2015 11:28 AM)

10/15/2015 5:15 PM  #24

Bendix is also a dual diaphragm.  In my opinion, the Bendix is a better booster.  Fewer small parts to get lost or fail, and takes up a little less room.

11/04/2015 10:45 AM  #25

This is a comparison of an Explorer MC (very similar to the Mustang V6 MC) next to a Windstar MC.

Anyone know what the measurement is of the Windstar MC mounting flange holes, C/L to C/L?  And what's the stock Mustang MC measurement?  Are they different?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.