FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2014 4:02 PM  #1

Mounting Sanden a/c comp. low and on the pass. side

This is the alt./air pump bracket. This one is off a 88 5.0 T-bird. I think the mustang is the same. You can see on the right side I trimmed the bracket where the tensioning pulley mounted

Here’s a couple of shots of the comp. and alt. mounted to the bracket. The ears on the comp. came with it. You have to play around with spacers to get the two pulleys to align.

Mounted on the engine to set alignment with the crank pulley. I had to space the bracket out 3/8 inch from the head to get proper alignment.

This shows the battery tray trimmed back about 3/8 inch to clear the comp. pulley.

This shows the idler pulley that’s not really needed and the tensioning bracket adapted from a chevy. I’m sure you’ll be using an adjustable rod with ends instead. You can’t really see the lower comp. arm but the length is determined by the clearance needed to mount the hoses to the comp. The only problem I ran into was the tube for the dipstick. Took some bending to work it between the bracket and the wp. If you have any questions or need more pictures, just let me know. allen

Last edited by at (3/14/2014 8:48 PM)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

3/06/2014 6:40 PM  #2

Re: Mounting Sanden a/c comp. low and on the pass. side

Thanks for the post AT. I was about to post this question on the forum. I'm going to one day put a/c in my 66 and just hate the original compressor location.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/14/2014 10:44 AM  #3

That idler between the alternator and compressor is the missing link to my similar design.  Since I was using a V belt, I could not add that pulley in there and thus did not have enough "wrap" on the a/c pulley to turn the compressor.  So, I abandoned the idea.  That idler is a good idea and completes the system giving plenty of wrap on the a/c pulley.  Anything less than 90 degrees and it will slip.  Excellent!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/08/2014 6:01 AM  #4

You can’t really see the lower comp. arm but the length is determined by the clearance needed to mount the hoses to the comp. The only problem I ran into was the tube for the dipstick. Took some bending to work it between the bracket and the wp. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.