FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2013 9:44 AM  #1

DAZE subframe connectors install

Just started the DAZE subframe connector install on our '68 and have some questions.
The instructions arent clear on this...

Does the front part of the SFC that gets inserted into the front frame rail needs to be held to the bottom of the frame rail so there is a gap between the top of the SFC and the floor boards?

Also, does the SFC needs to be held up tight against the rear frame rail? The SFC interfers slightly with the rear floor pan drain. When pushed up tight the SFC hits the floor drain and pushes the floor board up.

Those of you that have installed the DAZE SFC, how did you deal with these questions?
I believe the answers are obvious but thought Id ask to make sure.

Thanks
Henry

Last edited by ponch0v (4/25/2013 9:45 AM)

4/25/2013 10:38 AM  #2

Re: DAZE subframe connectors install

Daze may be around still today to answer but I installed them on mine.  For the front, I installed them against the bottom of the frame extension.  I think the installation shows them welded through the sides but the bottom of the connector goes against the bottom of the extension.

In back, I ran into what you are experiencing and nearly all connectors will have the same issue.  Since my floors were out for rust repair, I removed the lowered portion of the floor that interfered with the connector and covered the area with a flat piece of sheet metal.  I think if you "motivate" the connectors into position on your car you won't find that the floor is terribly distorted.  On the 66 there is a screw-in plug/plate and I think one of those screws may have sat on top of the connector and if that is the case on your car, I would suggest you remove the screw and perhaps rtv the plug.  The area of the plug is punched and the radius sticks well below the floor.  If you remove the plug you can probably fold the radiused area up to lessen the impact on the floor.  You want the connector to fit firmly against the frame rail in back so some gentle persuation of the floor will be required.  If you attempt to space it away from the frame you will lose the strength in the joint you are trying to gain.   I don't have time for pictures right now but my car is still on the rotisserie if you need any additional pictures.  I have the floors in now so the area is pretty clear to see.

5/01/2013 9:01 AM  #3

Re: DAZE subframe connectors install

+1 to everything GPatrick said.  Were you able to get them installed or are you still trying to make them work??

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.