FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2013 2:23 PM  #1

Mustang IRS

I realize we have several experts on this topic hence I wanted to propose a question:

For those of us with 65-66 mustangs, why cant we use factory fives pin drive IRS which has a width of 54.25". Thunderbird IRS parts are readily availble and the kit seems pretty straightforward. Any points of consideration would be very much appreciated as the current market $8000 price tag has made IRS a bit prohibitive for most of us.

link to IRS kit

www.factoryfiveparts.com/pin-drive-irs/

All feedback appreciated

4/28/2013 9:25 PM  #2

Re: Mustang IRS

Every project has a special set of problems attached to it.  All those rear suspension kits, be they 3 link, 4 link, IRS, whatever, seem to have those bulky cages they're built in.  This particular kit probably wont fit the Mustang without major mods, has a bunch of other parts to scrounge around for, might have no way for a rear exit exhaust, and might be a tire and wheel fit nightmare.  But then again it may be just the thing to inspire you to build your car your way and make it happen for you. Look what others have done here with their mods. It helps us all out in the end.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

4/29/2013 6:55 AM  #3

I have a custom Jaguar IRS in my 65 Fastback. It is the best mod I ever made to the car! The very low unsprung weight back there made the car so much more comfortable to drive and ride. It was a lot of work. It was worth it! I made a crosmember that goes across the back of the unit and some brackets to attach to the frame rails. I also made a cross member that mounts in front of the unit with some more brakcets to mount to the center section. Between the two cross members the tremendous torque is handled. I have adjustable links between the unit and the cross memebers so I can adjust pinion angle and wheelbase to square up the car. I did this to eliminate the ugly cage that most use. The Jag unit I used has the inbord brakes which I like because of the unsprung weight. I am able to run very low rate springs and low shock settings and hardly need a limited slip. For the next one I will use the Ford 8.8 center unit. You need to check out Daze's IRS forum.

4/29/2013 3:17 PM  #4

thanks for the feedback !!

5/01/2013 8:44 AM  #5

Have you seen my web pages on the subject???  I put a Jaguar IRS in my 64.5 and made it a bolt in

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.