FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2014 5:20 PM  #1

Mustang Tilter (rollover)

I've gotten a few requests for more details in how I made my tilter that I used to do the underside of my car, so here are a few pictures along with some key measurements.  Most of it is made of 2" X 6" pine lumber and the quarter circles are made of 3/4" pine plywood.  The bolts are 3/8", there are two pieces of 1-1/2" X 6" X 12" steel that are bent 90 degrees to attach the front part of the tilter to the bumper, and I used some perforated angle steel as bracing in the rear. 

Here is another picture that indicates where a 2" X 6" brace attached to the front subframe that I subsequently removed to install MS's brake kit.  It used the holes for the idler arm:

A few more detail shots:

Here it is in use.  I can tilt it up myself fairly easily by standing on the side and pushing up where the side window meets the roof.  You do need to go slowly when you get to the balance point.  Two people would be ideal:

I've also been asked how I prepped the bottom of my car and what paint I used.  The picture above is just after I tilted it up after I installed torque boxes and Daze's subframe connectors while the car was on the ground.  I then used various wire wheels and wire cups on an electric angle grinder, and a small 90 degree air grinder with wire wheels to get into the corners. This cleaned off all of the grime and the small amount of surface rust you can see in the above picture.  I then followed up by wiping it down with lacquer thinner and then used Master Series silver, which is a single stage urethane.  I followed it the next day with Master Series AG111 satin black, which is a two part urethane.  More information on these excellent coatings can be found here:  http://shop.masterseriesct.com/main.sc
One of their chassis kits was enough to do the entire underside of the car and I'm very happy w/ the results.

Last edited by jkordzi (6/21/2014 7:29 PM)

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

8/08/2014 2:11 PM  #2

Re: Mustang Tilter (rollover)

I went back and forth with jkordzki about who, what, where and how on his tilter as I wanted to be able to use his tilter model to clean/prep/and paint the underside of my 65 convertible. I pretty much followed his design exactly, with a few exceptions. I resinforced the 90 degree portion of the tilter (plywood) because I am doing it outside of my garage on gravel so I can degrease and pressure wash the underside. 
  I found it was not as easy to tilt the car up, I imagine for a number of reasons. I left the rear leafs on, and the front suspension (making more weight lower on the car),  becasue right after I do the underside, the chasis is following the rest of the unbolted body parts to the painter. I am turning it on gravel so not as easy of a transition as a garage floor, and being a convertible I ASSume the lack of roof changes the center of gravity. This made it heavier, so I had to jack it up to about 30 degrees and it was closer to the tipping point, and I am waiting for my brother in law to come over so we can tip it the rest of the way.

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

12/15/2014 3:59 PM  #3

tilter
        hi i am 351cj iwas wondering if this will work on my 73 mach1 i know it weighs more than aearly model so do i need to aliitle bigger lumber it will be stripped down inside and out i figure that it will weigh around 2600 to 2700lbs
                                                         any help will be appreceated
                                                                                                       351cj (richard)

12/15/2014 5:20 PM  #4

351cj wrote:

tilter
        hi i am 351cj iwas wondering if this will work on my 73 mach1 i know it weighs more than aearly model so do i need to aliitle bigger lumber it will be stripped down inside and out i figure that it will weigh around 2600 to 2700lbs
                                                         any help will be appreceated
                                                                                                       351cj (richard)

I think that if you strip the car's drivetrain and suspension like I did, you won't have any problem.  Note the bracing I used in the front and back - it made the car very stable when it was turned on its side. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.