FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2013 6:20 AM  #1

Easy questions

Ok, now I know there are no dumb questions here but these are, to put it lightly, pretty "beginner." I figured I'd ask all my "beginner" questions all at once so as not to appear too incompetent.

1.) I've had my '66 mustang for about 14 years now and can't remember what the pull rod control is that's to the right of the e brake. Is this for opening the cowl intakes or for manual choked carbs?

2.) I understand that a car with say a 3.00 rear gear ratio means the drivershaft needs to spin 3.00 times for the wheels to turn once but the variables here would be the diameter of the wheels and driveshaft. How are these taken into account when labeling a rearend's gear ratio?

Thanks guys.

All throttle no bottle

4/02/2013 6:56 AM  #2

Re: Easy questions

The pull control opens and closes the driver side cowl vent to allow fresh air to enter. 

Gear ratio is set by the gears inside the differential.  Driveshaft diameter does not enter into the equation at all.  One turn of a 2.5" diameter driveshaft still equates to same 1 turn as a 4" diameter shaft.

Tire size does make a big difference in rear gear selection.  A larger diameter tire makes the car think it has a higher (lower numerically) gear ratio.  A smaller diameter tire makes the car think it has a lower (higher numerically) gear ratio.   Assuming the car speedometer has been calibrated with the correct cable gear for the rear end gears and tire size currently on the vehicle, if you change to a taller tire, your actual car speed will be faster than the speedometer is registering.  If you change to a smaller diameter tire, your speedo will indicate faster than actual speed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/02/2013 2:12 PM  #3

Re: Easy questions

Thanks Mustang Steve!

All throttle no bottle

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.