FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2014 6:53 AM  #1

No wobbly speedometer needle anymore

From the moment I own  my 1965 Mustang I always had a wobbly speedometer needle. After examing the cable I also noticed the plug at the C4 was leaking, just at the connection of the plug and the 'plastic' cable. There was always a drop of atf oil. I found out there are two different cables, a 60 inch for the automatic and 3 speed, and a 68 inch for the 4 speed manual. So I ordered a speedometer cable for my 1965 automatic. When installed the speedometer cable (well lubricated), the needle was quite calm at about 35 mph to 90 mph. Faster I didn't try here because of speed control. Below 35 mph there was still a little wobbling. After some miles I noticed a ticking noise from the speedometer self. So again loosen the cable from the speedometer, more lubrication of the cable and the speedometer self. Put everything back and drive. Still the ticking came back. I disconnect the cable, pushed the inner cable more into the outercable. This helped for about 500 miles and the ticking came back. I also noticed the plug at the c4, connected to the cable, was starting to leak atf oil. Some glue and special tape on the connection stopped the leaking.

Left the new 64.6 inch cable, right the old 60 inch

Maybe I had the wrong cable. So I measured the cable and this one was 64.5 inch, a strange length. Also the square end of the old cable looked more massive than the new one.

So I was fed up with this cable issue. I start looking on ebay and found a NOS 1965 speedometer cable. Hoping this would solve my problem, I ordered the cable.

It was at a company called Cobranda, related to the Tony Branda store. They sell NOS parts and when it's not at their Ebay Cobranda store, they can look for the part you need. As Anthony, the son of Tony Branda, informed me.

When the cable arrived I found out that the cable was exact 60 inches, very, very stiff, and it wasn't easy to stretch the cable as it was rolled up for quite some years. The cable felt more solid than the ones I had.

There was also a six point nut, instead of the round one, for connecting the cable to the speedometer.

Ford encoding.

When I was having my first ride with the new cable I couldn't believe my eyes. The whole speedometer range from 0 to 70 mph, I tried for now,  the needle was steady. At 5, 10 or any other speed the needle was steady, no more wobbling. Not a little bit!
Although it was a pricey cable, it was worth every penny. For me at least. 

Ron

Last edited by RonNL (6/30/2014 7:21 AM)

2/26/2015 10:54 PM  #2

Re: No wobbly speedometer needle anymore

After checking the fit and spacing, my radiator fit a little better with two paint sticks and the position of the radiator filler neck and cap would still clear the hood.  I made basic brackets cutting some scrap 1-1/2 square tubing and used a portion of the lower radiator support brackets I purchased - save your money and make your own.  The brackets are about 3-1/2" long and are 1/2" ................................nice and thanks for share

4/03/2015 3:04 AM  #3

Re: No wobbly speedometer needle anymore

As I found out, one cause of the ticking at the speedometer can be is that the innercable is too long compared to the outercable of the speedometer cable. Shorten the inner cable may solve this ticking. Filing in small portions of,  starting with 1/64 or max 1/32 inch, can help. Too short will make it slips.

Last edited by RonNL (4/03/2015 3:08 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.