FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2014 9:31 AM  #1

How do I convert from generator to alternator?

How do I convert from my generator system (64 1/2) to an alternator system?  What alternator type should I use?  I don't know much about the subject but some alternators are one wire, some two, etc.

What else has to change on the car beides the charging system?  Do any of the switches need to change?  I wouldn't think so but I see in the various parts catalogs where parts are separated between 64 1/2 generator system versus 65 alternator system.

Along with this question should I go another step and rewire the whole car to a modern system having a full complement on fuses, etc?  The car definitely needs to be rewired.  If modernizing which vendor is best?  I think Painless has a good harness but it's one big harness rather than modularized - is that a good thing?  Harder to install?

Thanks for your help.

8/21/2014 10:54 AM  #2

Re: How do I convert from generator to alternator?

Welcome to the best place in the universe for learning all you want to know, and more about the Ford community.

If you click at the top of this page, above the "index" box on the link to "Mustang Steve's website" link, you will go to MS's website.  On the right side of the page under "tech info" you will find a wiring schematic on rewiring generator to alternator.  I'm a visual learner....

Sorry, but can't comment on the total rewire.  If you take the time to use the search function, there are a few threads within the last year addressing the various kits, and their pro's & con's.  Happy reading!

8/21/2014 11:53 AM  #3

I don't know anything about the switches, etc in a 64 1/2, but I know I changed a '61 F100 from generator to alternator and all I had to do was fab a bracked for the alternator on the 292 (you won't have to do that b/c you can buy one), wire up the alternator (see the link Tim posted), and then buy a different length belt b/c of the different pulley sizes between the generator and alternator.
I didn't change any other switches or wiring and it all worked just fine.

8/21/2014 4:10 PM  #4

Hope I didn't mess this up to much. If your going to upgrade go big.

I used american aout wire to upgrade my wiring harness because it was shot and I was trying to save time. It's a good harness but if I was to do it again and had time I'd make my own.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/21/2014 4:39 PM  #5

wsinsle wrote:

Hope I didn't mess this up to much. If your going to upgrade go big.

I used american aout wire to upgrade my wiring harness because it was shot and I was trying to save time. It's a good harness but if I was to do it again and had time I'd make my own.

The only change I would suggest is to get this from a 2000 v6 mustang and get the factory harness intact. The heavy power cord with fuseable links is the right length to use without modification. This will save you ~$40 for the mega fuse and such.

I did this on my 66 and it has worked flawlessly. You will loose functionality of your ammeter, but a voltmeter will give you better information of your overall electrical system. Make sure that the yellow sense wire is as close to the battery as possible (as in the diagram) this will give you the best regulation performace and stability.

In case you did not understand from the diagram above, the external regulator is no longer needed and can be removed from the harness.
BobN

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.