FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2014 6:28 PM  #1

Fuel Line Routing 1967 with TCP subframe connectors and coilover rear

I am in the process of trying to figure out how I should run my fuel lines.

Car is a 1967 Fastback with TCP subframe connects with bolt in x brace & tcp Gbar rear coilovers.

Factory line won't work since the subframe connectors are in the way as well as the rear Gbar suspension that mounts above the rear end.

I have a roll of 3/8" stainless fuel line, tubing straightener  and mastercool flaring tool.

Don't really want to run them in the tunnel so trying to determine where to route them. I also have a small problem if I run the behind the rocker, There is about an 18" section in the middle of the car where the floor sits a little lower so it would not be completely hidden or protected by the  rocker.  Maye 1/16" to 1/8" of the fuel line would stick down below the rocker lip and be exposed in the area although it would still probably be pretty well protected,

Thought about running them on the inside of the subframe connector but if I do that I must cross over from outside of the car where the line comes though the rocker then run down the subframe only to have to cross over the frame rail somewhere in the back to avoid the gbar set up.

Any suggestions?  anybody have any pics of there fuel lines?

Then to make the lines in no more than 2 pieces should really be interesting.  I attached a pic just to give you a visual.

sorry for the long post

12/30/2014 6:47 PM  #2

Re: Fuel Line Routing 1967 with TCP subframe connectors and coilover rear

You weld?!
How about using a hole saw to cut through  any obstructions. Then weld in a piece of pipe inside the hole...creating a lightening hole for tubing and wiring to pass through? The pipe welded in the hole will restore all the strength that cutting may have taken away. Should be EZ with a rottiserie! Would look trick too! Take a look at Hakans posts on the Phoenix restoration. Super clean work!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/30/2014 8:45 PM  #3

yeah i can weld so that is an option

unfortunately I have already stripped primed and painted the bottom the car. live ane learn,

I'm thinking I will line right up with the first piece as it comes out of the torq box.just like the factory did then a small bend over to the front frame rail where I can fasten it with a clamp and then run on the outside of the subframe connector up close to it and to the floor so it should be protected good then follow the SFC back to the rear torq box and then bend over to the outside of the rocker.  It will then follow the edge of the trunk floor up and over the wheel area until it gets at the rear tank opening then come up and over the frame rail and run over to where the fuel line hooks to sending unit,

I think this should look ok and the line will be well protected.

12/31/2014 12:43 PM  #4

I agree w/sal, go through the frame rail at some point, you can touch up that area with prime and paint.  If you do this consider using electrical 1/2" EMT tubing (also called "thinwall" tubing).  This tubing is about 5/8" ID, so the fuel line will fit nicely.
BTW - very nice work on the undercarriage.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/31/2014 2:18 PM  #5

I have a 69 Mach 1 w/Competition Engineering sfc and Air Ride rear cradle. Our floors should be the same, but your pic is too dark for me to see how your sfc and rear cradle mount and interfere with the fuel line. I had to tweak my stock fuel a bit, but was able to make it fit.
Good luck 1fststang, hopefully you can get the line run without too much work.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.