FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2015 5:13 PM  #1

heater blower control

My early 65 fastback was born with a 3 wire blower and a 3 position blower switch on-off-on,  I;m assuming one on is low and the other is high.  Somewhere along the life of this car someone put a 2 wire blower motor in it.  In order to get it to work I just wired 2 of the 3 wires to the blower and it works on one speed.  Can I wire in one of the resistors some how to get it to work on the other speed?
I do not want to pull the car apart to change the blower to the correct one

2/13/2015 5:30 PM  #2

Re: heater blower control

I do not know for sure on the 65, but on a 66, the blower has two wires, and one goes directly to power, all the time,  The second one is a ground wire and, depending on which resistor is connected by the switch, you either get HIGH (no resistance in the ground circuit) MEDIUM (some resistance) or LOW (highest resistance).  You have to have those two resistors to make all three speeds work.  If you just want HIGH and LESS THAN HIGH you can run it through just one of the resistors on the side of the heater case.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/13/2015 5:44 PM  #3

i'm not sure exactly what you want to do, but you can use a jumper wire from the hot wire on the resistor assy to the other posts to see which one spins the motor the fastest and wire your switch to it accordingly.

2/13/2015 5:50 PM  #4

I want to be able to use the blower on more than 1 speed without having to change the blower motor

MS I guess I would need to order a 66 resistor then???

2/13/2015 10:38 PM  #5

Doesn't the 65 heater box have those two resistors mounted on a panel like the 66?  I may have an extra resistor panel.  All it does is reduce the flow of current to the ground wire, so should not be hard to wire for it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/14/2015 7:50 AM  #6

Early 1965
Smooth heater box no resistor
Three wire blower motor
Switch has off in the middle with high and low only
Special under dash harness

Late 1965 and 1966
Resistor in the heater box
Two wire blower motor
Switch has off to the left
Wiring harness has a branch wire for plug at resistor

2/14/2015 7:55 AM  #7

Just adding MWM post ...
Early 65 - two-speed blower
Late 65 and 66 - three-speed blower

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/14/2015 8:17 AM  #8

What I have is a late model 65 blower in a early 65 model!!  anyone have an Idea how to make this work? I really don't want to rip the heater box out to replace the fan motor!!  It has worked on one speed for 6 years but would like it to aork on both!!

2/14/2015 10:04 AM  #9

t, 
PM sent

2/14/2015 10:17 AM  #10

Terry, don't know if this will help. Not sure how the 2 speed switch was connected. Never seen a wiring diagram with a 3 wire motor. But maybe you can try something like this. You could get a resister pack and use one of the resisters, Doesn't matter which one, which ever speed works for you. Keep in mind if you don't mount theresister pack in the heater box, it gets quite warm.

Last edited by wsinsle (2/14/2015 10:17 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/14/2015 12:21 PM  #11

thanks guys!  Walt has the right idea! I really dont want to dismantel the heater box to change the blower so I will try the wiring setup when my resistor gets here!

Greg and Josh, thanks for the offers on the blower motors, but if I cant get this to work I'll leave it on single speed until I HAVE to!!

2/14/2015 12:36 PM  #12

walt.  This is a 64 mustang schematic ( didn't know they made one LOL)  but this is how my car is wired!! I have a 2 wire motor in there and I have the ground wire on the motor to ground on the firewall and I think I have the orange wire from the switch wired to the hot on the blower!

http://averagejoerestoration.com/resources/mustang-wiring-and-vacuum-diagrams/1964-mustang-wiring-diagrams/1964m.jpg

2/14/2015 1:18 PM  #13

Looks like positive to the switch. Maybe something like this would work. This would place the resisters out side under the hood.

Keep in mind, I think the reason Ford placed those resisters inside the the box was to help cool the resisters when the fan is blowing. I know its hot air, but I don't know how hot the rsisters get.

Thanks for the diagram I'll save that one.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/14/2015 2:20 PM  #14

walt, those diagrams are available at www.averagejoerestoration.com

I ordered a few items and threw a resistor in so as soon as they get here I'll try that out thanks

2/14/2015 2:37 PM  #15

Just a reminder, the blower motor may be safely removed at the firewall without messing with the heater box. Just a thought before you rewire

2/14/2015 6:21 PM  #16

MWM wrote:

Just a reminder, the blower motor may be safely removed at the firewall without messing with the heater box. Just a thought before you rewire

I guess you know a secret that I don't.  If it can please tell me how, I had this out right after I got this car and before I knew it was the wrong motor for the car.  It came out thru the dash after removing the heater box.  The way its put together I can not see how it can come out without the box removal..

Last edited by terry (2/14/2015 6:32 PM)

2/14/2015 6:31 PM  #17

Terry,
Me bad, I got my vehicles mixed up! I apologize!

2/14/2015 6:51 PM  #18

that would have been a great secret!  thanks though!!

2/14/2015 6:56 PM  #19

just curious.

exactly how is it connected now?

did it have a factory resistor?

the 66 uses a 2 wire motor like the one you have with an off, low, med. and high speed switch and resistor

the 65 had 3 wires . . one was ground another was low speed and another was high speed . . there was no resister.

does it seem to blow fast enough now for a high speed position? . . if so this is good and possibly less of a wiring nightmare and you could just buy a $1.50 wire wound resistor and wire it in fotr the slower speed.

i also know [if i remember correctly] how the 66 resistors are wired but you don't need one.

Last edited by barnett468 (2/14/2015 9:11 PM)

2/14/2015 9:08 PM  #20

The motor has 2 wires . . one is ground which goes to the switch/resistor . . the other goes to 12 v that is only on when the key is on . . I think the brown one goes to power and the yellow is ground which goes to the common wire on your switch.

unplug your switch

Use your ohm meter to find which wire on the switch is common . . one wiring diagram says it is brown but I would check.

This wire will go to the ground wire on the switch.

One of the other wires will be used for high speed and the other for low speed.

Connect 1 of the switch wires to ground and check the fan speed . . it should be very fast . . the 66 did not use full power to the motor, it ised a resistor even on high speed . . if it is not too fast than it does not need a resistor and can be used for high speed . . if it is slow, your motor is old and you need a new one.

The other wire needs a resistor and will go from the resistor to ground . . the resistor will reduce the fan speed and it will get pretty warm.

set your volt meter on 20 amps and connect one end of it to ground and the other end to the ground wire on the motor and turn it on . . this will tell you how many amps it draws.

take this number and 13.5 volts and calculate what resistor you need to reduce it by 1/2 . . this will cut the fan speed to around 1/2 which can be word into the wire you use for low speed.

Last edited by barnett468 (2/14/2015 11:42 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.