FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2013 11:58 PM  #1

I think I'm about ready to try a 5.0 and EFI

The more info I get, the better an EFI 5.0 & automatic look for the 73 Vert.
I wonder if anyone is interested in a low milage 308/4R70W combo?? I even have all the hardware for an ECCIV setup for it.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/01/2013 12:19 AM  #2

Re: I think I'm about ready to try a 5.0 and EFI

Hey Corky,
I have a complete 5.0 and T5z from a '95 Cobra. I decided EFI was too complicated for me. Maybe we can work a trade.

6/01/2013 5:05 AM  #3

Tubo, you gots a fever???  Can you put an EFI on that 308?  If you pull the 4R70W what will you replace it with??  I'm cornfused?? not the first time either

6/01/2013 5:45 AM  #4

HA HA! One drive in a coyote mustang and my buddy is hooked! Amazing engines aren't they?

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

6/01/2013 7:01 AM  #5

You talking Coyote 5.0 Tubo?

6/01/2013 8:03 AM  #6

WHAT EVER YOUDO.......check out the Jon Kasse P-38 heads! Looks like they "eat AFR heads for lunch"....big time!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/01/2013 9:08 AM  #7

Yep, if you are going to have the latest technology, you have to change everything every year to keep up.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/01/2013 11:11 AM  #8

Well then I understand!!  

6/01/2013 12:22 PM  #9

Oh Yas, o'course I mean Coyote 5.0 and 6R80 tranny swap.
Yup Don is exactly right. I really do luv the sound of the Coyote engine, BTW same firing order as a Ford Flattie. The 73 Vert is more of a Clydesdale than a Mustang, and doing all the associated stuff for the conversion should make the car more interesting. It would also be a perfect Bash Mobile or Cross Country Cruiser.
I undestand the Coyote from a donor F-150 can be had for $3k. Both Mustang and F-150 use the 6R80/6R110 automatic trans.
Sooo fellow FYI'ers, if you run across a $3k ish Coyote I'm in the market.
If this comes to pass Miss May may become a $$$ donor to the project.

Corky

6/01/2013 2:08 PM  #10

i have a friend who just picked up a rolling 73 vert & we were discussing the same thing over dinner weds night.  maybe you two can get together & see if you can find any 2 for 1 deals out there. i sent him a link to join the site a couple days ago.

6/01/2013 2:51 PM  #11

There in the $3k range here in WI.   How much HP are they compared to the Mustang?   Will the ford racing Harness work on them?

6/01/2013 4:12 PM  #12

Tubo wrote:

Yup Don is exactly right. I really do luv the sound of the Coyote engine, BTW same firing order as a Ford Flattie. The 73 Vert is more of a Clydesdale than a Mustang, and doing all the associated stuff for the conversion should make the car more interesting. It would also be a perfect Bash Mobile or Cross Country Cruiser.
I undestand the Coyote from a donor F-150 can be had for $3k. Both Mustang and F-150 use the 6R80/6R110 automatic trans.
Sooo fellow FYI'ers, if you run across a $3k ish Coyote I'm in the market.
If this comes to pass Miss May may become a $$$ donor to the project.

Corky

Do whatcha want to the vert butt(TS&T) if you sell Miss May to make it happen I'm bettin' you'll be sorry.....very sorry.  

Ask the man who has been there.

JMO

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/01/2013 5:02 PM  #13

Steve69 wrote:

There in the $3k range here in WI.   How much HP are they compared to the Mustang?   Will the ford racing Harness work on them?

The F-150's make 360HP, or at least that's what my 2012 says. That truck will scoot!

6/01/2013 5:21 PM  #14

Grasshopper......................sometimes what one already has is far better than what one wants.....

6/01/2013 6:11 PM  #15

I believe all the 5.0(coyote) engines are set up for electric steering so they are not set up to install a regular power steering pump.  So that would be something you have to work around.  The shock towers of course would have to go or at least shave them.

That engine is pretty sweet though.  You can get a new one for $6k.  That's not a bad deal.

6/01/2013 7:36 PM  #16

Tubo wrote:

Yup Don is exactly right. I really do luv the sound of the Coyote engine

Corky

And Corky, it wont sound the same in your 73 unless you wanna pop for the side exhaust with the restrictor plates.  I read somewhere their sole purpose is to produce that sweet sweet sound!!

6/01/2013 8:32 PM  #17

Here is a short clip of the sound of which Tubo speaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBrF3O_9T8

Restrictor plates have been removed as well as the cats. A little loud around town but you should hear it going through the Mobile tunnel at full song.

There is no "I" in team but there are 5 in individual brilliance.

6/01/2013 9:49 PM  #18

The engines are the same except; tune, intake, cams and the truck drops a half point of compression to 10.5  Adding headers, intake, and tune will get HP to 425ish, on a truck engine.
The Ford harness and controler will work on a C 5.0 from any donor. Controler is the main part that contains each engine version variables.
RRS makes an electric PS, that fits the 71-73's. There are several builders of strut front suspension using 05 spindles. Dynacorn makes replacement shock towers that are already shaved. So many of the parts are available.
There is even a shifter that includes the manual select feature. Though it does come from a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V-8 that uses the ZF 6HP26, the Ford 6R80 is based on.

Corky

6/01/2013 10:01 PM  #19

Before you spend all your money on that, don't forget this:

http://militaryreunionplanners.com/SR/index.php?folder=A-3

We gonna see you there - 8-11 August?

Last edited by Ron68 (6/01/2013 10:03 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

6/02/2013 4:05 AM  #20

I don't get it at all. Googled "Coyote 5.0" and from what I understand you don't have to make any mods at all to the car to put this in it:
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LUHR-JENSEN-COYOTE-SALMON-TROLLING-SPOON-5841-050-0773-PURPLE-GREEN-TIGER-CHART-/00/s/OTc2WDI3OA==/$T2eC16N,!)!E9s2f!qCMBQckTbjBS!~~60_35.JPG[/img]

6/02/2013 8:30 AM  #21

Well, Well:   I was impressed when the magician pulled a 180  spin out of his errr "hat"  so now I'm thinking with this set up,  a full 360 should be doable.   

6/02/2013 11:31 AM  #22

He would have gotten the full 360 if that mailbox had not altered his trajectory, and the wheels had not dug into the side of the bar ditch.

Article in CAR CRAFT that came the other day has a 1,200 HP twin turbo 5.0 Coyote Mustang.  (Kit coming soon to a retailer near your keyboard)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/02/2013 4:05 PM  #23

Hakan wrote:

I don't get it at all. Googled "Coyote 5.0" and from what I understand you don't have to make any mods at all to the car to put this in it:
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LUHR-JENSEN-COYOTE-SALMON-TROLLING-SPOON-5841-050-0773-PURPLE-GREEN-TIGER-CHART-/00/s/OTc2WDI3OA==/$T2eC16N,!)!E9s2f!qCMBQckTbjBS!~~60_35.JPG[/img]

Hey - I have several of those in my tackle box! The green and white works very well on silvers (coho) while the blue and whites are great on kings (chinook). Not the Coyote 5.0 you were looking for, I assume....

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

6/03/2013 8:19 AM  #24

MustangSteve wrote:

Yep, if you are going to have the latest technology, you have to change everything every year to keep up.

After is took me 5 years to install it and getting working I dont think I would ever mess with it again except for changing the oil and spark plugs.  Just enjoy and Drive.

Steve69

6/03/2013 9:51 AM  #25

Tubo wrote:

The engines are the same except; tune, intake, cams and the truck drops a half point of compression to 10.5  Adding headers, intake, and tune will get HP to 425ish, on a truck engine.
The Ford harness and controler will work on a C 5.0 from any donor. Controler is the main part that contains each engine version variables.
RRS makes an electric PS, that fits the 71-73's. There are several builders of strut front suspension using 05 spindles. Dynacorn makes replacement shock towers that are already shaved. So many of the parts are available.
There is even a shifter that includes the manual select feature. Though it does come from a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V-8 that uses the ZF 6HP26, the Ford 6R80 is based on.

Corky

Hey Corky,  Is there a controller available to shift the transmission?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.