FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2016 1:39 PM  #1

Finally bit the bullet on the 66 rear end

I took the rear end out of the 66 and took it to Peyton Performance in Waxahachie for an upgrade.  It became apparent that my Versailles 9" housing had a bend end on the passenger side tube.
They are building me a new rearend using the Versailles housing, but straightened and with new bearing ends on it.  I decided to upgrade to 31 spline axles and widen the rear end slightly so as to perfectly center my 17x8 wheels in the wheelwells.  That will eliminate the need for any wheel spacers. Spacers come under the classification of "adapters" and you guys know how I feel about band-aid solutions.
Also will be having a new Strange aluminum housing built up with new 3.70:1 gears, traction lock and 31 spline setup.  A pair of new, longer 31 spline axles from Strange will go it, plus am adding a 1350 ujoint yoke on it to get rid of the small size yoke on the old rear end.  I am figuring this should remove the final weak link in the drivetrain so I don't have to worry about breaking an axle if my tires should ever be able to hook up with over 500 HP up front.  I used to have 3.70 gears in the car and it seemed to like them better than the 3.50 gears in it for the last few years.

My take-off third member and Versailles axles are on the swap meet page.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/11/2016 2:33 PM  #2

Re: Finally bit the bullet on the 66 rear end

MS wrote:

I took the rear end out of the 66 and took it to Peyton Performance in Waxahachie for an upgrade.  It became apparent that my Versailles 9" housing had a bend end on the passenger side tube.
They are building me a new rearend using the Versailles housing, but straightened and with new bearing ends on it.  I decided to upgrade to 31 spline axles and widen the rear end slightly so as to perfectly center my 17x8 wheels in the wheelwells.  That will eliminate the need for any wheel spacers. Spacers come under the classification of "adapters" and you guys know how I feel about band-aid solutions.
Also will be having a new Strange aluminum housing built up with new 3.70:1 gears, traction lock and 31 spline setup.  A pair of new, longer 31 spline axles from Strange will go it, plus am adding a 1350 ujoint yoke on it to get rid of the small size yoke on the old rear end.  I am figuring this should remove the final weak link in the drivetrain so I don't have to worry about breaking an axle if my tires should ever be able to hook up with over 500 HP up front.  I used to have 3.70 gears in the car and it seemed to like them better than the 3.50 gears in it for the last few years.

My take-off third member and Versailles axles are on the swap meet page.

I thought you said your car was done last year...   I might be interested in the 3rd member.  Send me the details!   Thanks! 

4/11/2016 5:56 PM  #3

Is it going to be ready for the  bash? Thought with all that torque you would want 3.25s.

4/11/2016 6:18 PM  #4

I kinda thought the 3.50 gears would be good with a 427 and a light car like a Mustang. But only you know how you want the car to drive. Just curious Steve, what is the gear ratio in you trans. The Fairlane I bought has newly rebuilt 3.50 rear. With the 390, 2.89 first and .64 fifth, thought this would be a good set up. Any how, sounds like you'll have a solid drive train.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/11/2016 6:22 PM  #5

Curious how much wider you made the rear?  I just took delivery of my new rear (factory width)  and that would have been a good idea had I thought of it! 

4/11/2016 9:16 PM  #6

Steve-G wrote:

Is it going to be ready for the bash? Thought with all that torque you would want 3.25s.

Maybe he's gonna bring that new RAM.  Don't matter, gettin' here is what's important.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/12/2016 5:29 AM  #7

I didn't realize you had 28 spline axles with that monster up front.  So they held up to a few hard launches?  Did you go w/ the Daytona pinion bearing support?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/12/2016 9:59 AM  #8

Don't forget to put in the good stuff,,  use science Not emotion  (instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge)  

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/

Last edited by Don (4/12/2016 10:16 AM)

4/12/2016 4:08 PM  #9

Hopefully will have the rear end back by the end of March.  That should give plenty of time to get it installed.

On the old Versailles housing, one wheel stuck out 3/8" farther than the other.  It was built into the housing and not the car's fault.  I am making both sides equal and am adding 1/2" of length to the side that was shorter.  All that is calculated to run the 17x8 wheels with 5.72" backspacing and a 245x45 tire on the back of my 66.  Overall width is 58.25", which is 1" wider than stock.. (Measured axle flange to axle flange - does not include rotors).

The 3.70 gear was chosen to get my RPM up over 2,000 at 70 MPH.  Engines with bigger cams are happier cruising at a little higher RPM.  When I had my 400HP 351 in the car, with a T5 and 3.70 gear, I got 24 MPG on the trip to Georgia and back.  I changed to 3.50 and mileage dropped off to about 19.  The new 427 gets right at 19.5 MPG on road trips.  The 3.70 should provide a smoother drive on the highway. and maybe result in more MPG, even though that is not the ultimate goal.

4/12/2016 5:10 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Hopefully will have the rear end back by the end of March.  That should give plenty of time to get it installed.

March? Hmm...

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/12/2016 6:43 PM  #11

MS wrote:

On the old Versailles housing, one wheel stuck out 3/8" farther than the other.  It was built into the housing and not the car's fault.  I am making both sides equal and am adding 1/2" of length to the side that was shorter.  All that is calculated to run the 17x8 wheels with 5.72" backspacing and a 245x45 tire on the back of my 66.  Overall width is 58.25", which is 1" wider than stock.. (Measured axle flange to axle flange - does not include rotors).

The 3.70 gear was chosen to get my RPM up over 2,000 at 70 MPH.  Engines with bigger cams are happier cruising at a little higher RPM.  When I had my 400HP 351 in the car, with a T5 and 3.70 gear, I got 24 MPG on the trip to Georgia and back.  I changed to 3.50 and mileage dropped off to about 19.  The new 427 gets right at 19.5 MPG on road trips.  The 3.70 should provide a smoother drive on the highway. and maybe result in more MPG, even though that is not the ultimate goal.

Thanks.  So, if you had a stock width housing, am I correct that an apx. 5.25" backspace on a 17x 8 and a 245 x45 tire should be perfectly centered in the wheel wheel? 

4/12/2016 7:47 PM  #12

Yes, Chaplin, that would be equal.  Just try finding a 17x8 with 5.25 backspacing!  Unless you have it custom made.

4/12/2016 8:02 PM  #13

I was thinking the same thing about 5.72!  Is that a common size?

4/14/2016 3:23 PM  #14

Chaplin wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about 5.72! Is that a common size?

All the Mustang 17x8 wheels from 1994-2004 had 5.72" backspacing.  The 2005+ had 5.92" on the 17x8.

4/14/2016 5:55 PM  #15

So, it seems what you are saying is YES, they ARE pretty common!   

Appreciate the info.  Learn something every day around here!

5/01/2016 6:51 AM  #16

MS wrote:

Hi Steve-
One more question for you.  What size rim, backspacing and tire are you running on the front? 

I'm going with the Street or Track from coil over setup, so I am not sure if that changes anything relative to the wheel sizing with factory suspension.  I don't think it does, but I suppose I should confirm with SoT....

5/01/2016 8:48 PM  #17

I have the same wheel as the back, except cut 1" out of the back half of the rim, narrowing it to 7" with 4.7" backspacing. I am using a 1/4" spacer so the wheel effectively has 4.5" backspacing. This makes the scrub radius off by about 1/2" but I prefer to have the extra clearance.  Tire is 235x47/17

5/02/2016 6:33 PM  #18

How did you cut an inch out of the back half of the rim?

5/02/2016 6:40 PM  #19

Chaplin wrote:

I did the same treatment to my front wheels (same ones as MS has) I sent them to a company in Dallas called Wheels America and they narrowed the wheels. Made two cuts, one to remove the inner rim, one to remove 1" of wheel, then welded the two pieces together.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/02/2016 7:52 PM  #20

Ron68 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I did the same treatment to my front wheels (same ones as MS has) I sent them to a company in Dallas called Wheels America and they narrowed the wheels. Made two cuts, one to remove the inner rim, one to remove 1" of wheel, then welded the two pieces together.

Thanks!

So, that leaves me with one more question.  To get the perfect rear wheel fitment, Steve ordered a custom width rear so he could use 17x8 with 5.72 back space.  If it is possible to cut down a wheel, could I send out a set of 17x8s with 5.72 back space and have them cut down to 5.25"  with my factory width rear?

5/02/2016 9:42 PM  #21

Like Steve and Ron, I had my front wheels narrowed too.
However, I believe the company Ron mentioned is either no longer in business or now longer providing this service.
I had Weldcraft Wheels do the work on mine. They are located in Livonia Mi. Did a great job!
I’m sure they’ll cut the wheel down to whatever wide you like.  You’ll specifically indicate that on the order form.......can also call them and/or email them with questions for your application.
Good luck....

Last edited by josh-kebob (5/02/2016 9:43 PM)

5/03/2016 10:22 AM  #22

Cutting wheels seems extreme by any measure.  I guess that's why we are called addicts.  I have a Versaille rearend and had 7 inch rims. Drivers side rubbed inner wheel well on big bumps.  Fixed problem by going to 6 inch rims.  Fitment is excellent.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/03/2016 12:14 PM  #23

You would need to use a spacer between the wheel and hub to make the wheel think it has less backspacing. 
The reason I had front wheels modified was because there were no aftermarket 17" wheels available for early Mustangs when I put the big brakes on the car.  Now you have the option to find wheels that fit, if you are willing to accept that certain wheels just do not fit!

I have tried so many different things on my car that I have more experience than most, but certainly do not know about every wheel and tire combo.  I know what fits and if you want to take it further, you just have to shop around and measure everything.

I would never have made a custom width rear end for my car just to make some wheels fit, but since I was having the rear end built anyway, I figured I would have it made to do exactly what I wanted it to do.

9/18/2016 6:55 AM  #24

MS wrote:

Yes, Chaplin, that would be equal.  Just try finding a 17x8 with 5.25 backspacing!  Unless you have it custom made.

Just an FYI for those who may be reading this thread.  I just discovered that Foose makes certain wheels in 17x8 with available backspacing of 4.0, 4.25, 4.5, 4.75, 5.0 and 5.25, so a 17x8 with a 5.25" would be perfect for the rear.

But, the same same wheel that I was looking at in 17x7 for the front is only available with backspacing of 3.75 or 4.0.

Has anyone successfully run 17x8 in the front without rolling the fenders?  If so, what backspacing?  I am guessing it would have to be around 4.5 or 4.75.

9/18/2016 3:32 PM  #25

17x7 with 4" BS will work in front with a reasonable sized tire.  on my 68, I am using 17x7 with 4.25 bs and 225x45-1 tire.

In the rear, I used 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing BUT I am using a 65 rear axle that is 2" narrower than the 68 axle.  That effectively gives me a 17x8 with 5.5" backspacing if it had the 68 rear end in it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.