FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2016 7:55 PM  #1

Driver side mirror

I have a 1967 convertible and went to change out my driver side mirror. 1 of the screw holes did not have a catch for the screw. The other side I was able to screw in the screw but the other was a larger hole that was stripped. Not sure how to fix? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

4/25/2016 11:50 AM  #2

Re: Driver side mirror

They sell Mirror Install Kits on sites like Dallas Mustangs. You get 2 Well Nuts - expandable Rubber Nutcerts. They work Great...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

4/28/2016 5:55 PM  #3

Harbor freight and I'm sure other places sell a tool like a pop rivit gun that you install threaded inserts like a pop rivit with thread's.

5/10/2016 9:11 AM  #4

Free fix, and yes, it involves RTV.

Take a 6" long piece of steel 1" wide x 1/8" thick.  Drill two holes in it that mate up to the mirror bolt pattern.  Tap the holes so they have a machine screw thread for a screw that will fit in the hole of the mirror.  Coat the flat side of the piece of steel with a thick layer of RTV and insert it UNDER the door skin.  Hold in place while you get the mirror screws started through the mirror, sandwiching the door skin between the mirror and then the new piece.  Tighten the screws.  Once the RTV sets up, it will be there forever, even if you have to remove the mirror for some reason.  And, if you treat them right, the new threads will never strip out again.  You can substitute JBWeld for the RTV if you want, or you can use no adhesive at all so you can enjoy that CLUNK the next time you remove the mirror and the piece of steel falls into the door cavity.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2016 3:06 PM  #5

Great tip!

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

10/12/2017 10:55 PM  #6

Nice tip, MS. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.