FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2016 11:44 PM  #1

4 Air Conditioning options, any changes since the 2014 discussion?

Hello Mustangers,

I am looking at the different options for a 65 Fastback 289 air conditioning addition.

Vintage Air Gen IV sure fit system (available at Summit for $1346) looks great.

Classic Auto Air's Perfect Fit ELITE system for $1500 also looks good.

Classic Auto Air's Daily driver system for $975 (from Jegs) looks like it leaves the stock heater core / box in place and then has a separate air conditioning box like the original mustang air conditioning unit under the middle dash area. I would guess that this is a little cheaper, but I wouldn't be able to defrost using the air conditioner. I don't know if it would matter much in mostly dry California?

A similar design is the Old Air Products "Custom Underdash Cool Only A/C System" at $935 that also appears to leave the heater box alone.

Has anyone had any super positive or negative experiences with any of the kits?

Any reason not to get the smaller kits that keeps it in the under dash unit vs tearing out the whole heater box since I probably wouldn't need the defrost function? Also it seems like that might be a more simple option.

Any pitfalls? Considerations? Any specific places that are better to order than Summit, Jegs, or the producers websites themselves?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions on putting air conditioning in a 65 mustang!
Kevin

10/26/2016 5:24 AM  #2

Re: 4 Air Conditioning options, any changes since the 2014 discussion?

fastbacktoback wrote:

Hello Mustangers,

I am looking at the different options for a 65 Fastback 289 air conditioning addition.

Vintage Air Gen IV sure fit system (available at Summit for $1346) looks great.

Classic Auto Air's Perfect Fit ELITE system for $1500 also looks good.

Classic Auto Air's Daily driver system for $975 (from Jegs) looks like it leaves the stock heater core / box in place and then has a separate air conditioning box like the original mustang air conditioning unit under the middle dash area. I would guess that this is a little cheaper, but I wouldn't be able to defrost using the air conditioner. I don't know if it would matter much in mostly dry California?

A similar design is the Old Air Products "Custom Underdash Cool Only A/C System" at $935 that also appears to leave the heater box alone.

Has anyone had any super positive or negative experiences with any of the kits?

Any reason not to get the smaller kits that keeps it in the under dash unit vs tearing out the whole heater box since I probably wouldn't need the defrost function? Also it seems like that might be a more simple option.

Any pitfalls? Considerations? Any specific places that are better to order than Summit, Jegs, or the producers websites themselves?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions on putting air conditioning in a 65 mustang!
Kevin

Hi Kevin , i am in the same situation like you to choose one.
IMO perfect fit more or less disappear underdash and this for me is A+
About defrost is on you ... Maybe one day you will Need it and you aint got after all the job needed .
For my Need is a must . I remember one day of summer rain my car was undrivable due to mist on glass , especially on rear .
Your car has power steering ? Pay attention on which side ( alternator or steering pump ) must be place the AC copressor and bracket .
I have seen pics with compressor on battery side .
Do you think there will be a special price if we buy 2 instead of one ?
But as always shipping to Italy is huge cost !
CJ pony part ask 860 USD only for shipping
Summit ask 180 USD for shipping
Many more dont ship to Italy 
Hope this help

10/26/2016 8:05 AM  #3

I have the Classic Auto Air perfect fit elite system in my 65 coupe. Works good for me. I didn't like the glovebox insert that they provide. It was a plastic tray, open at the top so you could see the under-dash area. I ended up modifying one of the standard cardboard ones - making it shallower so the new heater box would fit.

10/26/2016 3:05 PM  #4

You definitely want one that replaces the old heater box completely. That way, you get dehumidified defrost for the windshield.  I have Vintage Air and it has worked flawlessly.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/26/2016 5:23 PM  #5

Yeah, the old systems are pretty lackluster, even when they work properly.  If you've an option to replace everything with an entirely new system go that route.  I'm wishing I'd done that in my '67.  I'm still fiddling with a factory air system trying to get it all to work right.  I converted the car to factory air over 20 years ago, and have only recently discovered that I was sent an incorrect box for my car (it was for a '69), there were parts missing, and I just recently figured out and confirmed that there needs to be a check valve between the engine and the vacuum reservoir or the system doesn't work right at anything other than idle.  Thank God for the internet...

10/27/2016 6:16 AM  #6

MS wrote:

You definitely want one that replaces the old heater box completely. That way, you get dehumidified defrost for the windshield.  I have Vintage Air and it has worked flawlessly.

X2 on Vintage Air. Works Great and their Customer Service is Awesome.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

10/27/2016 7:45 AM  #7

My system is from CAA and it works great, both cold air and defrost have been used extensively since I put it in.
  Mine is a cable operated but the newer versions are all electric which makes the install  a bit more flexible.
 It was a very complete kit with my only complaint was the crudely fabricated compressor mount which I tossed and replaced with a billet mount that I made.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/27/2016 7:34 PM  #8

I was in the exact same boat about 6 months ago and went with the Old Air Products daily driver for my '65 fastback. What nudged me towards the Old Air over the CAA underdash was that the Old Air more closely resembles the bright AC unit in the '65 instead of the camera case finish. I also prefer the hose routing between the condenser and the firewall.

I can't argue with the benefits that others list about the integral system, but since my car only sees sunny days, the defroster was not of concern. I also like that the under dash unit maintains the passenger side fresh air vent, which I use every chance I can get. The fact that the under dash setup is easier to install and less expensive is a bonus, though did not factor into my decision.

I can't speak to CAA, but Old Air's customer service was top notch. I ordered mine direct. Oh yeah, it blows very cold. Good luck.

[edit] I don't know whereabouts in CA you are, but growing up in the South Bay in Los Angeles, I don't recall needing my defroster on a different '65 which was my daily driver for 8 about 10 years.

Last edited by Jeff in GA (10/27/2016 7:37 PM)

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.