FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2017 10:41 AM  #1

Looking for a first car

My high-school age nephew lives in Northwest Arkansas and loves first gen Mustangs.  He and his dad called asking if I would consider selling ours but I'm too far invested in it to let it go.  

So, here's the deal:

He is looking for his first car and wants it to be a Mustang.  This will be a learning experience but it needs to be a driver.  He and my brother will be learning together.  At this time it doesn't matter if it is a 6 or 8, std or auto, with or without air or PS, it needs to run and be street legal.  I would prefer he not learn bodywork just yet so it should be relatively sound (wouldn't we all love to have one of these?)  This project will never be the depth as the Ramsey Turbo 2JZ coupe but it will teach him some lasting skills.

He is on a budget like all high school teenagers.  He may earn some Eagle Scout badges along the way.  

Lastly, he could use a mentor in the Northwest Arkansas/ Bentonville area.  Please PM me if anyone has something which might fit his needs.

2/20/2017 2:44 PM  #2

Re: Looking for a first car

Call me a wet blanket, but I seriously would not recommend an early Mustang for a first car.  They do not handle or stop like a modern car, have lap seat belts, and (if 65 to 67) have a spear for a steering shaft.  There are 2 early stangs in our corral, and there are way more dollars thrown at those 2 cars than all the other cars in the household, so they are NOT budget friendly in high school terms.  They are hobbies.  There are plenty of upgrades available to make them better cars, but they cost money.

If it were my son or nephew, I would steer them toward an 89 to 93 Mustang.  Plentiful, affordable, fun, and reliable, and you can still take them to a mechanic for repairs.  In all probability, an Eagle Scout will head to college in a couple of years, and I believe a good fox Mustang will serve as a much better daily driver through college years.  Once he's done with school, has landed the big job, moved back home (LOL) and has lots of spendolas burning a hole in his pocket, go for the early Mustang.

2/21/2017 12:48 PM  #3

You will be so glad that he starts with a first gen Mustang. Easy to decipher the glitches and hiccups, and easy to modernize.

2/25/2017 10:02 PM  #4

Mixed feelings on that. Great easy cars to learn on.  But, if they do not bave a huge burning desire to constantly be working on and retrieving the car from cold, wet parking lots, look to something newer like a 2005+.  It will be safer and less problematic.

So many of these father/son projects get started and the kid winds up driving a stupid Honda after they lose interest.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/25/2017 10:07 PM  #5

I tend to agree.  I can pretty much work on anything but my nephew is still in high school and needs a good platform from which to build a project car.  I'm a big fan of OBD-II, pity it wasnt around in the late 60's!

4/09/2017 1:39 PM  #6

I understand wanting a modern, safe car for your new driver. But, my first car was a 66 stang. That was in 1985.  My grandmother raised me, so I did not have the luxury of a father to show me the ropes when it came to automobiles (or anything else).  With that car, I taught myself how to do brake jobs, disc brake swaps,  bypass a solenoid, r and r a motor, rebuild a motor, vehicle wiring, replace clutch, rebuild alternators, swap starters, rebuild a three speed non-sinc tranny ( took a few times to get it right), rebuild a rear end, rebuild carb, diagnose fuel/electrical problems, etc.  Most of this was not because the car was a lemon, I was an idiot and swapped everything over to v8.  We moved around a lot so high school friends were limited to a few.  But with the knowledge I gained, I was the kid everyone called to help when their car stranded them.  It gave me a sense of purpose.   I learned patience and humility (spent many hours on the road side making "repairs").  Plus it was MY car. Late in my senior year I had to pay rent, so I sold the car.  I actually had tears running down my face when it left my driveway, never to be seen again. That old, outdated, unsafe car was one of the best experiences in my life.  Because of that car, I became an engineer and was able to retire at 47 last year.  So, get your nephew the classic, someone needs to keep the spirit alive!!!

BTW, my second daughter drives our 67, which we are selling, but it needs bodywork. So now she begs me to drive the 66, mom's 65 convertible or my 54 chevy five window!!!  And they don't have the fancy electronics to distract them (loud stereos, USB IPhone ports, GPS,etc).

Ahhh, to be a kid again....

Parkinson's, it's not just for old folks

4/13/2017 10:24 PM  #7

New-er car is good advice butt.........I had a 54 Ford for a "first" car. My son got a 66 coupe(that I now "feed"!) for a "first" car. Did they leave us stranded??...yep (still does!)
"Most-of-the-time" they were easy fixes because....they are so simple.

My advice...get the classic Mustang AND a triple A membership.....make sure he has a job....pays for gas....pays for his share of the insurance....helps work-on-it!
Lotsa life lessons in there!
6s6
A great "hammer" to hold over his head to behave and get good grades.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.