FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2017 1:38 PM  #1

I would like to obtain that optimal stance upfront. Suggestions pls

So I have my 65 coupe 289. I have installed ebiach 1" drop coils 1" drop coil bushings and their shocks up front.
I'm running 235/35r/17s up front and a 245/45r/17 out back. The back is right where I want it. The front sits way to high for my taste. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do up front to lower it.  I've heard both good and bad about cutting coil springs. Any input? I'm also thinking another option would be the Shelby drop up front. Any ideas on how to get that front end down? I do realize that the front isn't broken in and it should settle. I've only put maybe 30 miles on it at the most since I've completely rebuilt the front end. Do you guys think I should wait till my front end starts to settle then go from there? Comparing to MS's fast back I'm probably  still sitting 3" higher up front.

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/26/2017 9:08 PM)

2/24/2017 3:32 PM  #2

Re: I would like to obtain that optimal stance upfront. Suggestions pls

Put a big block in it or show us some pictures haha.

2/24/2017 4:11 PM  #3

First off, dropping the front end 2" what had been done for camber correction?

Second, the Shelby drop is a much better mod than just lowering the front end.  By lowering the UCA mounting point 1" and moving it rearward the camber curve is improved and positive caster is improved.

2/24/2017 4:45 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

First off, dropping the front end 2" what had been done for camber correction?

Second, the Shelby drop is a much better mod than just lowering the front end.  By lowering the UCA mounting point 1" and moving it rearward the camber curve is improved and positive caster is improved.

I didn't realize that the Shelby drop made that much of an improvment. I've only rebuilt the front end, dropped the front and allighned the car. I did have custom adjustable upper and lower control arms with coil overs. I parted with them since I was offered a dang good pennie for them. I am thinking I'm going to build another set for my car  since my ride was a lot better. I'm also thinking about making some adjustable strut arms.

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/26/2017 9:10 PM)

2/24/2017 5:46 PM  #5

Likely the ride was better because you were able to correct for the inherent weaknesses of the stock geometry, namely absurd camber gain and a lack of positive caster.  The Shelby drop does correct for a lot of this. 

2/26/2017 9:11 PM  #6

Out of curiosity when am I supposed to add a negative wedge kit after lowering the front end?

2/26/2017 9:35 PM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

when am I supposed to add a negative wedge kit after lowering the front end?

The sooner the better.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/26/2017 11:41 PM  #8

First:  Send us a photo. 
There are many ideas of what constitutes an optimal stance.  For me that is a 12-13" distance from the front wheel hub straight up to the lower edge of the front fender.  Tire and rim size should not matter much as our tires have much the same radius regardless of the other dimensions.

It sounds like you have returned to stock front a-arms and lower control arm.  When you put everything together did you leave the lower arm mounting nuts loose when you put it down on the ground?  If you tightened them down first, the front end will sit quite a bit higher due to the bushing bind that occurs.  Jack the front end back up.  Loosen the mounting nuts down to finger tightness.  Then lower the car back to the ground and only then tighten the nuts.

Forget the negative wedge kit until you get the ride height where you want it.  Its purpose is to reduce bump steer.  No bump steer - no negative wedge needed.  Get the suspension right then check for bump steer.  A negative wedge kit may or may not change things.  I had one and it made absoultly no difference.  Different folks have different  results.  The only sure way to get rid of bump steer is to convert to rack and pinion steering.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (2/26/2017 11:53 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/27/2017 5:48 AM  #9

Bump steer is caused by suspension geometry.  It occurs when the lower control arm and the tie rod move in different arcs, which causes operating length differences in the two.  This allows the suspension to pull or push on the tie rod, which makes the front end steer without the driver turning the wheel.  It happens during cornering, and is unnerving because the car suddenly turns in more than you want it to.

One of the largest contributors to bump steer on early Mustangs is the spindles being run.  A lot of people have converted to different spindles, which have different geometry and can make the car bump steer when it didn't before, or make the bump steer worse.

Rack and pinion is not the only way to eliminate bump steer, and in fact cars with R&P often have bump steer when lowered.  There are kits to correct it on lowered Fox body cars for example.  A R&P system doesn't really change the way the front end works; just the way turning the wheel translates into turning the wheels.  R&Ps still have tie rods, and if the operating angles are off relative to the LCA's you will have bump steer. 

If you encounter bump steer the solution is to either experiment until you tune it out of the suspension, or you can buy an actual bump steer gauge that can directly show you if you are moving in the right direction to correct the issue.  Corrections are typically made by adjusting the height at which the outer tie rod connects to the spindle. 

2/27/2017 10:07 AM  #10

I've been researching stance for my upcoming mod quest on my '66 coupe.  Almost everybody I researched have cut the springs about 1/4 coil even after the 1" lowering springs and shelby/arning drop.

I don't see any issue with cutting the springs by that much, especially if you're just going to be cruising with a little spirited driving thrown in.  Just take off a little at a time, though, because cut springs will settle.

2/27/2017 11:39 AM  #11

The concern over cutting the springs is that you are reducing suspension travel and there is a greater chance you will hit the bumpstops if you hit something in the road (pothole, etc.).

2/27/2017 1:39 PM  #12

Awesome thank you so much for all the replies. I will post up some pics of my car to show how it sits now. On another note since I couldn't  sleep for anything last night. I decided to  look up some materials to make some tubular control arms again for my car.  if I wanted I could convert to Qa1 coil overs. This would eliminate the spring perch since the coil over spring mounts in that position. Pretty cool set up and its very easy to fabricate. Cool thing is I can build the tubular control arms and when I decided to get new shocks and coils I can just swap in some coil overs. I found the perfect set of coil overs. They mach the compressed  and extended length to the factory sized shock very closely. Stock shocks have a 4.95 stroke the new coils produce a 5.00" stroke pretty cool. The only thing about the coil overs is they will need a reinforced upper mounting plate. They use a single mount position instead of two on the top. 
Its kinda funny what the mind comes up with when its tired lol. I'll post links to parts and pictures of the parts for that swap for those that are interested.

3/02/2017 10:38 PM  #13

Sorry my car looks so bad. I haven't had a chance to fix the doors. And finish all the body work. Pretty sad since I went to school for collision repair and refinishing. Oh well as you can see theres snow still here, sadly I hope ends soon. that way  ill be able to actually get my car  finished. So Anyways I'm hoping for  suggestions on some ways to lower the front end of my car. I was thinking about making some custom control arms for my car, this would help to improve a lot of things on the front end.

So here are some options for my front end that I've come up with.

I could first try removing the coil and cut the coil to obtain the stance that I want. Plus I'd probably go the extra mile and do the shleby drop.

I could install coilovers and just use the stock upper control arm. ( it would eliminate the spring perch)

I could go tubular I would probably use, monoball joints, 1 1/4" tubing, stock style ball joints, coilovers. Then for my lower control arms I'd use, monoball or jhonny joint, 1 1/4" tubing and stock style ball joint.

Or tubular control arms and long coil over shock that mounts to the lower control arm.

I could go air bag and make a bag mount on either stock control arms or tubular uppers.

Depending on which I go with to fix the front end I will also do the same in the rear suspension but keep the same stance. 

Last edited by True74yamaha (3/02/2017 11:08 PM)

3/02/2017 10:45 PM  #14

3/02/2017 11:11 PM  #15

3/03/2017 11:05 AM  #16

Car doesn't look so bad. It just shows that you have an "in process" car like most folks on the forum.

3/03/2017 3:23 PM  #17

3/04/2017 2:00 PM  #18

The LOOK is free. You don't have to buy a bunch of expensive crap that does nothing in order to achieve it.  The negative wedge kit will raise the car a bit and just is not needed.

Your car is old.  It probably needs new springs anyway.  Just buy the ones that will get it where you want it and then add the Shelby drop.  No other parts are needed in order to get this stance.

The key is to do your research BEFORE spending money on parts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/04/2017 3:46 PM  #19

MS wrote:

Truer words were never spoken.

3/04/2017 5:13 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

Truer words were never spoken.

I agree I always do reasearch first before buying parts. I mainly was looking for suggestions on lowering the front end. My entire front steering suspension are new. The coils I know are going to loosen up and be lower then where its out now.  I guess I'm just going to do the Shelby drop, upgrade to roller perch and cut my coils

3/04/2017 6:17 PM  #21

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

3/06/2017 1:02 AM  #22

Are you sure you have an engine in that thing? Sorry, couldn't resist. Trial and error time.  Personally I'd do the upper arm drop first. Some, like me, experienced a nearly 2 inch drop in ride height where only a 1/2 inch is reportedly possible/likely. Go figure. Then I would let it settle a while and then start cutting fractions of coils until you get it there.  Eibach springs may not be as forgiving as stockers when cut. I don't know, you may turn them into I-beams they might stiffen up so much, or the change in spring rate may be unnoticeable.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (3/06/2017 1:15 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/06/2017 8:11 AM  #23

Are the Eibach springs progressive rate?

3/07/2017 11:16 PM  #24

The coil springs are a progressive rate coil. I just looked them up they are a 500lb rated coilspring, and they are a 1" drop coil. They are the most expensive ones they offfer for a 65 mustang.

Last edited by True74yamaha (3/07/2017 11:21 PM)

3/08/2017 12:52 AM  #25

If its "just a cruiser"......like mine! the stock springs work fine with 1/2 coil cut off.
For a nice ride why not go with the 6-cylinder front coils and use a decent shock? Softer....gives a "natural drop" because the V-8 is a little heavier. With the Shelby drop it may be just enough! IF it drops too much you can always get the thicker spring pads that go in the top of the spring. I think I used the 1/2" thick one when my stock springs with a FULL coil cut off and the Shelby drop made for a speed bump nightmare!
Lotsa EZ options
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.