FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2017 9:15 PM  #1

overflow tank

Looking at a different overflow tank that doesn't use much space.

Just wondering what are the 2 connections below on the tanks.  I know one comes from the top of the radiator down the to tank.  What is the other connection for?

Thanks Steve

3/06/2017 9:32 PM  #2

Re: overflow tank

One connection will puke the overflow if the tank becomes over full.  the other tube connects to the overflow outlet below the rad cap.  I had...or maybe have...one of those when I was running the 20" copper rad in the 66.  I think the system had other issues since it would overflow enough from the rad to overflow the tank.   If you have every thing good; spring in the lower hose, good fan clutch, proper stat, good fan with proper shroud, you probably will be okay with that one.  Or, just leave the coolant down an inch or so in the rad and let it be it's on recovery tank.  Since I went to the aluminum rad and put the spring in the lower hose....and made a larger recovery tank, it hardly moves any coolant at all.

​OBTW:  The tube that pukes the overflow from the recovery tank is the one that goes clear to the top of the tank.

​BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/07/2017 6:18 AM  #3

Bullet Bob wrote:

One connection will puke the overflow if the tank becomes over full.  the other tube connects to the overflow outlet below the rad cap.  I had...or maybe have...one of those when I was running the 20" copper rad in the 66.  I think the system had other issues since it would overflow enough from the rad to overflow the tank.   If you have every thing good; spring in the lower hose, good fan clutch, proper stat, good fan with proper shroud, you probably will be okay with that one.  Or, just leave the coolant down an inch or so in the rad and let it be it's on recovery tank.  Since I went to the aluminum rad and put the spring in the lower hose....and made a larger recovery tank, it hardly moves any coolant at all.

​OBTW:  The tube that pukes the overflow from the recovery tank is the one that goes clear to the top of the tank.

​BB

Thanks for info BB.  So if I keep the antifreeze a inch below on my radiator do I cap the nipple coming out of the radiator or run a hose down to the ground?   I switched radiators and went with a 5.0 Radiator and hoses.  I didn't put the spring in  this time around.  Thought about it though...LOL   Thanks Steve

3/07/2017 8:34 AM  #4

My tank looks just like that one and it works great for me... keeps my radiator full to the brim.  Of course my radiator is probably smaller than most.  I'm still running the stock 2-core brass radiator.

3/07/2017 9:40 AM  #5

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks for info BB.  So if I keep the antifreeze a inch below on my radiator do I cap the nipple coming out of the radiator or run a hose down to the ground?   I switched radiators and went with a 5.0 Radiator and hoses.  I didn't put the spring in  this time around.  Thought about it though...LOL   Thanks Steve

I was having heating at speed and the spring in the lower hose cured it...hose collapsing.  If you aren't having that problem you probably don't need it.  I always use a recovery tank but MS says, and he is correct, that if you leave expansion room in the rad, you don't need a recovery tank.  You will want to have the hose from the nipple below the cap running down below the rad so that if it gets overly hot it won't puke coolant all over your pretty engine.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/07/2017 9:52 AM  #6

My tank is similar in size and just like Michael H., my radiator is always "topped off".

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, Sniper EFI, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

3/07/2017 10:48 AM  #7

If the coolant level is kept at the proper level an overflow tank is not really a necessity.
 That being said I made one anyway.
 A simple 2" aluminum tube with two pieces of 1/4 inch tubing and a billet cap with an "O" ring seal which serves as a retainer.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/07/2017 2:09 PM  #8

Another thing to consider is use of the car.  Our 66 will see some autocross time, and maybe a little track time.  Tech inspections tend to favor a "closed" coolant system to prevent the puking of coolant on the track.  The overflow items pictured here are not closed.

3/07/2017 2:58 PM  #9

Thanks for the info and great pics!   Steve

3/07/2017 3:37 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

If the coolant level is kept at the proper level an overflow tank is not really a necessity.
 That being said I made one anyway.
 A simple 2" aluminum tube with two pieces of 1/4 inch tubing and a billet cap with an "O" ring seal which serves as a retainer.

Nice fabrication work on those billet brackets.  They should hold that tank to that flimsy piece of sheet metal on the side of the radiator with strength to spare!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/07/2017 4:08 PM  #11

TimC wrote:

Another thing to consider is use of the car.  Our 66 will see some autocross time, and maybe a little track time.  Tech inspections tend to favor a "closed" coolant system to prevent the puking of coolant on the track.  The overflow items pictured here are not closed.

Tim, there are no closed cooling systems. Every coolant recovery tank has a vent. The one in question just runs the vent tube out the bottom of the container for looks. I suspect your tech inspectors are looking for a "catch can" to prevent direct dumping of coolant on the track.

Last edited by Hornman (3/07/2017 7:41 PM)

3/07/2017 5:16 PM  #12

Steve said.
Nice fabrication work on those billet brackets.  They should hold that tank to that flimsy piece of sheet metal on the side of the radiator with strength to spare!

Thats the old set up Steve, before the aluminum rad install. The new set up is a bit more substantial as the billet bracket is sandwiched between the front and rear rad sidepanels.
  With the new rad at the proper level I have never seen any overflow in the tank. Rules are rules so if the sanctioning body requires them you gotta have one but for street use I don't know if the commercially made ones are worth the money.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/15/2018 7:14 PM  #13

my question is...what are the 4 rivets for?...I thought it would just bolt up to the side of radiator...?

Steve69 wrote:

Just wondering what are the 2 connections below on the tanks.  I know one comes from the top of the radiator down the to tank.  What is the other connection for?

Thanks Steve

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/15/2018 7:29 PM  #14

Vicfonz wrote:

my question is...what are the 4 rivets for?...I thought it would just bolt up to the side of radiator...?

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks Steve

I have that same tank, works great. The rivets are in a drawer somewhere in my shop.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

5/15/2018 10:12 PM  #15

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks Steve

That’s the exact tank I use . I do wish it could hold a bit more but I like the looks and it functions

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

5/16/2018 2:17 AM  #16

My 67 came with a 20" version of that in the boot. The brackets were already riveted onto the side strap of the radiator. Worked out that the bonnet wouldn't close with it fitted.
I ended up sectioning it to custom length, to have maximum capacity in my 65.
Never used those rivets either.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/16/2018 5:50 AM  #17

The rivets are to attach the tabs to the car, the tabs to attach the tank to if there is no convenient place. One tube is to attach the tank to the overflow of the radiator and the other tube is now the new overflow and vent. If your radiator cap is working properly your radiator will always stay full if your cooling system is working properly.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/16/2018 6:43 PM  #18

I see ...so if the tank can mount to the radiator bolts then the rivets will be unused..

HudginJ3 wrote:

The rivets are to attach the tabs to the car, the tabs to attach the tank to if there is no convenient place. One tube is to attach the tank to the overflow of the radiator and the other tube is now the new overflow and vent. If your radiator cap is working properly your radiator will always stay full if your cooling system is working properly.

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

5/16/2018 6:45 PM  #19

u got it correct.. the other will just drain to the ground if the tank is full...if you open the cap u will see a long tube inside that almost reaches the top.....that would be your drain..just connect a short hose to it

Gaba wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Thanks Steve

That’s the exact tank I use . I do wish it could hold a bit more but I like the looks and it functions

6/13/2018 10:26 PM  #20

so ive had this similar one sitting in my garage and now im ready to install...I am having a difficult time finding a mounting location..any ideas and pics of how yall did it?..i have a fan shroud and the brackets seem to be in the way...

6/14/2018 4:56 AM  #21

Hard to say without a picture, but I would think that you could bend up some simple brackets to place it out of interference, and still use common mounting hardware.  Very little on these old cars is plug and play.  There's so much stuff on my car I've made at this point I've lost track. 

6/14/2018 7:02 AM  #22

I had very little space too.  I ended up running a rubber hose from the radiator and mounting mine in the inner fender wall where the front tire is.  Its not seen and does  what its suppose to do.

Steve69

6/14/2018 3:47 PM  #23

I was able to mount to next to the radiator its a little crooked but it think im the only one that can tell lol...now im gonna turn my old platic one into my windshield wiper fluid tank...just gotta buy all the stuff for that now

6/17/2018 7:36 AM  #24

Steve69 wrote:

I had very little space too.  I ended up running a rubber hose from the radiator and mounting mine in the inner fender wall where the front tire is.  Its not seen and does  what its suppose to do.

Steve69

Ditto.

6/17/2018 8:14 AM  #25

Rudi wrote:

Steve said.

Thats the old set up Steve, before the aluminum rad install. The new set up is a bit more substantial as the billet bracket is sandwiched between the front and rear rad sidepanels.
  With the new rad at the proper level I have never seen any overflow in the tank. Rules are rules so if the sanctioning body requires them you gotta have one but for street use I don't know if the commercially made ones are worth the money.

I like this picture with that brand new radiator ! all is clean and sharp !  Seems has same dimension as old one.
Does it work better ?  Do you drive without temp issue ?
Aluminium 3 or 4 row ? 
thanks ! 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.