FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 6:48 PM  #1

Opinions on this hood scoop

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mmd-foose-hood-scoop-2015.html

Disclaimer:  Hood has 3 large hail dents right where this scoop fits.   Possibility that they cannot be repaired paintless.  If that turns out to be the case, then this is probably the only option to save the factory paint job on the hood.   Just thinking outloud.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/25/2017 7:13 PM  #2

Re: Opinions on this hood scoop

Looks nice, not too over the top in my book. However it will need paint? Why don't you want to repair the hood?

3/25/2017 7:38 PM  #3

Its not that I do not want to repair it.  It has 61 hail dents, and 6 oversize ones.  3 right in the center area of the hood.  I had a paintless guy look at it,  and he said aluminum stretches, and he does not know that he can repair those. If he cant, then its conventional repair.  There are limits to what they can do.  Adding a scoop would cover that area.  And yes, they have to be painted.   Just an idea I am toying with.  

It would already be fixed per se, but things are backed up and Im basically on waiting list.   The car is a mess.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/25/2017 7:40 PM  #4

Looks pretty cool!
I guess you could spray paint it flat/matte black!?!
Either paint the scoop or the hood?!
What about insurance?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/25/2017 8:57 PM  #5

I like the Roush scoop better. I just can't seem to like that bifurcated look. Reminds me of old Chryslers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/27/2017 10:52 AM  #6

The body shop Ive been on a waiting list for called first thing this morning, and I went down there.  Their paintless dent guy said it was a mess.   They think its going to be 3x the 2500 "Mayhem" estimate.   He said its not the dents themselves, exception of the hood,  but WHERE the dents are.  Although he is confident he can get them, even the hood.  
That said, I looked over the other two scoops, The Roush, and the third one, they offer.   I made my final decision and bought the Foose scoop this morning.   Its on its way.  This is happening.  Car not perfect anymore, so I am gonna do what I want with it.   Bad news, this shop said they really do not want to deal with the hood scoop.  They however, did say that IF the clear cracks while they are trying to remove the hail dents on the hood, making it a conventional repair, they WILL paint the scoop for me.  They WILL NOT install it either way.  

Oh, did I mention when a contractor came over to inspect my roof, he put two scratches in the front fender?  Yepp.  They are going to throw in a wet sand and buff and work it the best they can for free.  LOL   

Oh, did I also mention my wife had a fender bender in her Avenger Friday?  So got to deal with that also.  My "Mayhem" agent loves us at the moment.   Been that kind of month!   

Last edited by Greg B (3/27/2017 10:52 AM)

3/27/2017 7:17 PM  #7

MS wrote:

I like the Roush scoop better. I just can't seem to like that bifurcated look. Reminds me of old Chryslers.

Heh, the first thing I thought when I saw it was: "Why did they put a Dodge hood scoop on that Mustang?"

Not bad for what it is I suppose, but that stuff''s never been my cup 'o tea.  It's such a good looking car stock IMO.  I'd rather put a new hood on it than add a scoop to cover the damage.  But to each his own. 

3/27/2017 7:36 PM  #8

Have you tried American Muscle?  I think they sell that same scoop with factory paint color on it.  I bought some mirrors from them for my 2007 and they matched perfect.

3/27/2017 9:09 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Have you tried American Muscle?  I think they sell that same scoop with factory paint color on it.  I bought some mirrors from them for my 2007 and they matched perfect.

Yes, I bought the scoop from American Muscle.  And in fact, they called me back this afternoon and said they have it already painted, and we cancelled the transaction and I paid the extra hundred for the prepainted scoop.  

"Not bad for what it is I suppose, but that stuff''s never been my cup 'o tea.  It's such a good looking car stock IMO.  I'd rather put a new hood on it than add a scoop to cover the damage.  But to each his own. " 

It is about saving the factory paint job.   The plan is to work the hail dents from the outside inward.  If they can fix all the dings without breaking the clear they will.  If they dont, I see the factory paint job with the scoop as a better option than a resprayed hood.   Does that make it make sense?   Ruby Red is a Tri color.   Not the easiest color to color match.

I snapped a picture of it earlier this afternoon, and you cant even see one hail ding in it.   I want to try to get one that shows how bad it really is.  

Last edited by Greg B (3/27/2017 9:19 PM)

3/31/2017 8:30 AM  #10

Got two deliveries yesterday.  Apparently American Muscle couldn't get the unpainted order cancelled in time.  I opened the painted one to check it all out and I want to compliment American Muscle on two things:  The paint job on the painted piece is very nice!  They do a spectacular job with that.  At least this one.  Second, they sent me a prepaid label and paid for the return shipping on the unpainted scoop.   Customer service

3/31/2017 10:16 AM  #11

Foose was right when he said it looks like it came from the factory - -  the one for Dodge Ram trucks ,
 The fit at the front fendercorners seems to be off as well.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/05/2017 12:27 PM  #12

Supposed to be done tommorow.  Getting her back home.   Final tally is 6500 worth of hail damage.  There was officially 110 dents removed from the hood alone.   Good news is all were repaired without breaking any clear.    

They tell me I will be impressed.  

4/06/2017 4:44 PM  #13

It totally amazes me they can remove dents where you can't tell they were ever there. Those guys are ARTISTS!!

4/07/2017 2:37 PM  #14

Paintless Dent Magic!  I never thought it would look this good again.  

And it needed a 4.2 mile test drive apparently.   But happy with the way it turned out so what if they went and got some pizza in it.   They earned it.  

They are fixing the wifey's oopsy Tuesday.  

Hood scoop test fitting.

Last edited by Greg B (4/07/2017 3:15 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.