FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2013 8:16 AM  #1

Poll: Window Tint on Classic Mustang

66 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 HO Swap, T5z

It seems like most trailor queens and show cars keep the factory clear glass.  I don't think it's actually clear but definetly not tinted from the factor like most new cars are today.  I go back and forth between a friend of mine on whether or not I should get my windows tinted.  It seems like if you invest in a kickass interior and you want to show it off getting tinted windows seems like it defeats the purpose.  But then again, I'm in Texas w/ this crazy summer heat.  I don't think the factory glass even had a UV coating.  For a hardcore restomod look I think it goes well but just a restored classic not so sure....what do you all think?

Last edited by TremendousWand (6/21/2013 8:39 AM)

Window Tint on Classic Mustang?

6/21/2013 8:36 AM  #2

Re: Poll: Window Tint on Classic Mustang

At least with tinted you can sip on that beer and not be seen.

PS   Not that I've ever done that or advocate that. For some reason the Smiley Face Button is not working.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

6/21/2013 9:45 AM  #3

My interior is all black anyway.  Fastback rear glass acts like a huge magnifying glass.  Tint please.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

6/21/2013 9:51 AM  #4

I did not hesitate to use dark window tint on the 2+2's rear window, it's even sligtly mirrored. The tint film was applied before the rear glass went into the frame. Compound curves and all.
None of the other windows have any other than factory tint. I would have used a light tin on the rear Shelby quarter windows, except you should not use film on plexi-glass, cos of out gassing issues.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/21/2013 9:59 AM  #5

I think tint is for heavily modded or daily driver classic cars. As for an original looking car I think it looks out of place. And unless your driving it every day I don't see the need..

It's hard to type "funny"

6/21/2013 10:00 AM  #6

i you do decide on tint, make sure your glass & all wiper strips are in good shape. if not, first time you roll down/up you will scratch the tint & ruin it.

6/21/2013 10:04 AM  #7

I had my fastback windows tinted before I went on the trip to Illinois, more to help with A/C cooling than looks.  I had two different places attempt to install the rear tint and finally just caved in and went with a job that was a little ragged around the edges.  I took it off after I got home.  I do not like the look of it on the rear window.  It does help give your luggage some privacy when on a trip, though.  My side windows still retain the medium shade tint.  Of course, mastercraft scratched one of them all up when they reinstalled the windlw, so it will have to be replaced or go away.

I prefer the look of no tint, but the practical side says it does help cool the car on those 110* days.

When my car is at a car show, the windows are down, so no one knows it is there except by looking at the vent windows, anad those don't really show that much if all the other windows are down.

I guess it is one of those things like COLOR.  What looks great to one person may not look good to another.  Like Mr Tim says... "That's why God made blondes, brunettes and redheads".

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/21/2013 9:06 PM  #8

My 05 is lightly tinted , the 68 not, both convertables with cold air. It is hard  to see at night having tint.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/22/2013 6:57 AM  #9

No tint on my 67 convert. I only drive with the top down and all windows down.

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

6/22/2013 7:33 AM  #10

Up here in  Wisconsin you can only have a 30% tint on your sides and 50% on your back window.  Mine aren't tinted but If I ever added AC I would then Tint.  When I was stationed at Fort Hood in 1987 I tinted my 79 Mustang and had it really Dark.   When I moved back to Wisconsin I found out pretty Quickly the State Troopers dont like Tint and I received a nice Ticket for having it on.   Right now my windows are down all the time since I dont have AC. .

Steve69

6/22/2013 7:34 AM  #11

I say tint.  If you don't like it then it can be removed.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.