FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2017 7:34 AM  #1

Temperature Gauge reads backwards

My 1965 Mustang has a problem with the Temperature gauge reading backwards.
When the ignition is off it reads "C" correctly. When the ignition is turned on, the gauge
needle moves up to "H" and stays there throughout the time the engine is running.
The engine doesn't heat up..I suspect it is in the instrument wiring because I
had the speedometer replaced because the odometer wasn't working. Before that,
it would move from "C" to "H" and then slowly move to "C", as the engine heated up ,,which I thought
was correct because, I hadn't driven the car in years and assumed that was the way it worked.   
BTW..I think my instrument panel is referred to as the Falcon style.

4/20/2017 9:56 AM  #2

Re: Temperature Gauge reads backwards

If the wire is grounded somewhere it will cause the gauge to read "H"... so I would trace  the wire looking for bare spots or cracks in the insulation that are grounding... or use an ohm meter to check for continuity between the wire and ground.

4/20/2017 9:19 PM  #3

Also be sure you have the correct TEMP sender on your engine.
The suggestion above to check the wire for a short to ground is very good advice.  If the wire grounds, the gauge will peg out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/21/2017 5:17 AM  #4

The easiest start to your troubleshooting is to pull the wire off the temperature sender while the engine is running.  If the gauge goes back to "C" you probably either have a bad sender or the idiot light sender instead of the temperature measuring sender.  While the wire is off the sender put a voltmeter + lead on the wire and the - voltmeter lead on a good ground.  If you see either a steady 5V or a pulsing signal that averages out around 5 V your dash wiring is good.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/22/2017 6:18 PM  #5

I once had the same problem on an old english ford I useta own.
It turned out to be the oily/greasy engine, (we've all had one of them,right ....??) was providing a path to ground over the outside of the sender body. As it heated up, the conductivity of the oil/grease would change, causing erratic readings.

Disregard if your engine is cleaner than a lot of mine were, or you use more fuel than oil. 

Last edited by 50vert (4/22/2017 6:19 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.