FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2017 1:41 PM  #1

GT disk brake conversion help

1st post here.  I need some help with upgrading the drums on my car and from what I've read, this is the best place on the net.

Here's what I'm working with:
1996 Coupe, in the family since 1968
289 / 4speed top loader / zbar clutch
4 wheel manual drum brakes
Manual steering
17" TTII with 235/45/17 tires
All brand new suspension with open tracker strut rods and roller perches

I recently purchased a set of 13.2" GT front disk brakes and will be buying steve's brackets.  The stock brakes are shot and all the lines need replacement.  I'd like to get the GT brakes working and the car driveable with the rear drums until I can upgrade the rear end with a narrowed explorer 8.8 and the stock disks.

Which master cylinder should I use for manual brakes?  What else am I missing here?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by 602Raptor (4/20/2017 1:42 PM)

4/20/2017 9:05 PM  #2

Re: GT disk brake conversion help

Welcome to FYIFORD.

First, the TTII wheels may be a problem. Take your 13.2" brakes and slide a loaded caliper onto the rotor. Place the wheel face down on the floor and place the rotor/caliper assembly in the wheel. Loosely place some 1/2" bolts to center it in the wheel, like wheel studs.  Then you should be able to slide the caliper around the rotor to see if it clears the wheel spokes.

Use one of our PV-100 adjustable proportioning valves, as it will also work with four wheel discs later.

The PB-6.1 master cylinder is for disc/drum systems.  You can use it with four wheel discs, but it would be better to convert to the PB-6.2 which is a true disc/disc master.

The master cylinders are also listed on the same web page as the big brake kits.
Www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/21/2017 9:55 AM  #3

Thank you for your reply.  You think I'll be ok with the PB-6.2 master until I upgrade the rear drums?  Use will be pretty light, but I'd just like to be able to drive it around the neighborhood.

What are your recommendations for brake lines and a tubing bender.  Am I able to buy any of these lines pre bent?  I'd like to run stainless lines in place of all the rubber.
Thanks again.

6/11/2017 7:37 PM  #4

1st post... I have just purchased the PB-2 kit and am about to begin the install. I have a question similar to OP above. I have the S197 GT front discs (12.5) installed, and already have the Explorer rear with discs but not installed yet. Mine is a '66 in the process of restomod assembly with a '93 5.0L HO and tremec TKO (yes I know the trans tunnel will need some relocating) and to confound the problems, I have the Borgeson power steering installed and I've purchased the McLeod hydraulic firewall clutch master cylinder (see design of clutch master: part number mcl-1431001 on summitracing - sorry, 1st post means I can't include a link yet). Also, I have stock hipo (k-code) exhaust manifolds with stock type exhaust pipes.
(Q1) The template for the firewall holes for PB-2 show the smaller vertical hole spacing on the driver's side, (but photos of the vacuum booster always show the closer spacing on the passenger side.) I don't have a booster yet (see below Q's) so trying to be cautious. Side note to Steve: the printout is 3/8 too small, good thing you noted the 5.50" measurement. Do you have a pdf I could d/l and reprint?
(Q2) I wonder if the 2.3L 4cyl brake booster I had planned to use will clear the McLeod clutch master cylinder since it slants down underneath the brake MC/booster? Or, does the 5.0L booster have a smaller diameter and be necessary to clear the clutch master?
(Q3) In my brake application, which master cylinder would be recommended with driver side outlets to clear the shock tower? My original plan was to use the Windstar MC as noted in an old 2013 post, but if there's a different recommendation should I need to use the 5.0 booster (or another booster like an OEM hydroboost to manage clutch clearance), what would be the best MC?

Last edited by dkrasniak (6/11/2017 7:51 PM)

6/12/2017 1:43 PM  #5

Pb-6.2 can be used with disc/drum TEMPORARILY. When using hydraulic clutch system, fitment issues will either have to be determined by trial and error or from the hydraulic vendor.
My power brake system is designed for use with single diaphragm booster

8/30/2017 10:39 AM  #6

MS, I'm about to install my GT 12.5 front and rear GT 11.75.  I'm wanting to use a Wilwood MC and can't decide on which size bore to use.
Will the same bore work for the GT12.5 and the Cobra calipers?

8/30/2017 1:38 PM  #7

From all I've read a dual disc brake (fr & rr) requires less displacement and the 1" master should be adequate. If the OEM used a 1-1/8" for the application of discs you use, then that would be recommended. Do not think you get higher pressure with larger diameter piston because it is actually lower pressure, but higher volume. Look up the donor brake setup for more details. I chose the 1" piston from a 6-cyl later model mustang (2002 I think) for my brakes where I have the 12.5" GT discs up front and will be using the stock 2000 explorer rear discs out back. I also have the 4-cyl brake booster as recommended by Steve. Also note that the Wilwood MC's have a few different displacements (volume) for the same size bore so look up the amount the stroke adds to the volume on the Wilwood pages. I had to do this when choosing a Wilwood master for my hydraulic clutch... then I was recommended to use a 7/8" bore.

Last edited by dkrasniak (8/30/2017 1:41 PM)

8/30/2017 1:55 PM  #8

Use 15/16" or 1.0" MAX   The 1.0 is preferred when you install my power brake conversion.

1-1/8" will never work as you will never build enough line pressure.

9/17/2017 8:25 PM  #9

Great site. Appreciate suggestions on updating the front discs on a 1968 GT mostly original. Reviewing different sites all upgrades seem to require change to larger 17" wheels.  Which is not workable in keeping the original 14" wheels.  

9/17/2017 9:30 PM  #10

If you want to use 14" wheels on your 68, you have two main optons to use oem Ford brakes.
1. Use brakes and spindles from a 68-73 Mustang. If using 68-69 disc spindles, they bolt right up with stock tie rods. If 70-73, use 70 Mustang outer tie rods.
2. Use brakes from a 75-80 Maverick, Granada, Monarch or Versailles.  They bolt up with correct geometry. Use tie rods from the car the brakes came on. They will fit the 68 adjusting sleeves. Versailles spindles have a larger lower ball joint hole, but that can be remedied using MustangSteve part #LBJ ball joint adapters.
A third option is to use the 67 Mustang discs, which would bolt to your existing spindles.

All of these require a proportioning valve and a disc-brake-specific master cylinder.

All factory disc brake equipped 68 Mustangs and Cougars also had a vacuum assist booster and a power-brake-specific brake pedal.  This setup is available as MS part # PB-6770.

You will also see other aftermarket kits like Scarebird that use Chevy calipers and other kits that use Chinese made parts. While any of these should work, in my opinion, using Ford brake parts is the way to go.

9/19/2017 8:38 PM  #11

Thanks for detailed reply, this is one of winter projects, will be looking at the PB 6770 closely.
And yep, wife found out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.