FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2017 6:31 PM  #1

Time to put together a Bash caravan from the DFW area.

We have just over four months to the Bash, so we need to put together a caravan route and lodging coming and going. The distance makes for two easy days of cruising. If anyone has some preferences, share them so we can discuss and put together a plan. Soon!

The northern route would I-20 to Jackson, Mississippi, then south. Jackson has inexpensive lodging.  The southern route could be I-20 the I-49 south, to I-10 east. The problem with this route is that it would put us in the New Orleans area for our overnight, which would be expensive. Also, the traffic on I-10 is heavier than on I-20.

Post your ideas.

Last edited by Hornman (5/22/2017 6:40 PM)

5/22/2017 7:10 PM  #2

Re: Time to put together a Bash caravan from the DFW area.

I've never been out that way by car. From what you said I'd rather take the northern route. I have no hankering to go to New Orleans and I don't like traffic. IMHO

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/23/2017 8:06 AM  #3

If y'all go the I-20 route and come south to Laurel (about 1.5 hours south of Jackson) I could tag-along with y'all.  From Laurel I usually take Hwy 15 to Hwy 98 at Beaumont, ...to I-65 in Mobile just long enough to get onto I-10 which will run most of the way there.

However, on Hwy 98 as you get near Mobile there's several small towns with quite a few red lights which might cause us to get separated.

5/23/2017 11:23 AM  #4

Hornman, I don't like your calendar.  Made me realize how time is ticking by while I try to get this car together.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/23/2017 12:10 PM  #5

Taking the southern route, would allow you to stop and see "Cruising the Coast". Spend maybe a couple of hours at the Edgewater Mall stop in Biloxi. And then proceed on to Ft Walton.
The week long CTC is one of the best Hotrod attractions in this region.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

5/23/2017 2:22 PM  #6

Tubo wrote:

Taking the southern route, would allow you to stop and see "Cruising the Coast". Spend maybe a couple of hours at the Edgewater Mall stop in Biloxi. And then proceed on to Ft Walton.
The week long CTC is one of the best Hotrod attractions in this region.

Tubo

Definitely true!

5/23/2017 3:31 PM  #7

I  have driven both routes. The norhern is easier and quicker. But the southere is a lot more scenic. I vote for the southern route.

5/23/2017 5:14 PM  #8

I will be taking the southern route, leaving from my new place near New Braunfels.  There is a back road that connects to I-10 without having to drive to San Antonio first. It is about 40 miles farther from New Braunfels to FWB on I-10 than it is from Dallas to FWB taking the northern route.

I have not looked at the map yet, but maybe both roads converge somewhere?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/23/2017 6:55 PM  #9

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Hornman, I don't like your calendar.  Made me realize how time is ticking by while I try to get this car together.

John, I thought you knew that time is not your friend.

5/23/2017 9:51 PM  #10

I like Tubo's suggestion and I'm in Houston so, southern route is inevitable for me.  I'm just not to thrilled on the New Orleans overnighter.  Rather be in less congested area.  My 2 cents.

5/23/2017 10:01 PM  #11

I'll be do'in the CTC sooooooo...if ya'll come that way I can follow you to FWB.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/24/2017 8:00 AM  #12

Just for your info:

​BB, neighbors Chris and Carla, Mr. and Mrs. JKB and possibly others will likely be staying in Jackson, MS on 10-4.  On the 5th we plan to have lunch at Felix's Fish Camp (Mobile, AL) and be at the motel in FWB by late-mid afternoon so we can get rested up for Tubo's shrimp diner.

​BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/24/2017 4:07 PM  #13

There is interstate highway that goes north of New Orleans. I have no intention of going to New Orleans.  Use the bypass and you will never know you are near it.

Maybe we can meet at Felix's like we did last time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/24/2017 5:41 PM  #14

That highway is I-12 at Baton Rouge....you could make Slidell your overnight stop vs NO..

5/24/2017 6:19 PM  #15

josh-kebob wrote:

That highway is I-12 at Baton Rouge....you could make Slidell your overnight stop vs NO..

The problem with that is Slidell is 45 miles from Gulfport. If there are as many "cruisin the Coasters" as 6Sally6 says (~10,000), that is a lot of hotel rooms and Slidell could easily be an overflow hotel spot for the Cruise. If I was going the southern route, I would probably stay in Baton Rouge, 2 hours from Gulfport, 3 hours from Felix's Fish Camp (about the same distance as from Jackson). Felix's is about 2 hours from the hotel in Fort Walton Beach.

5/25/2017 12:02 AM  #16

Anna and I will be joining the group Hornman. This is like trying to figure out where to go to eat lunch with a large group of people....

5/25/2017 12:06 AM  #17

If we drop down from Shreveport, there are several larger town West/North of Baton Rouge we could stay in and not be far off the timeline. Alexandria, Opelousas or Lafayette. How far away from the 10,000 car horde do we need to stay?

5/25/2017 6:40 AM  #18

Aaaaa another bash caravan.  Its a lot of fun driving around with many Mustangs/owners.  For those who plan the trip its like ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwJzTsb2QQ

NOTE  NOT a political statement  

Last edited by Don (5/26/2017 6:31 AM)

5/25/2017 9:37 AM  #19

Mochaman wrote:

If we drop down from Shreveport, there are several larger town West/North of Baton Rouge we could stay in and not be far off the timeline. Alexandria, Opelousas or Lafayette. How far away from the 10,000 car horde do we need to stay?

I think Baton Rouge is far enough away, unless there is something big happening at LSU that week.

5/25/2017 9:38 AM  #20

Don wrote:

Aaaaa another bash caravan.  Its a lot of fun driving around with many Mustangs/owners.  For those who plan the trip its like ??

You HAVE been paying attention!

5/25/2017 9:42 AM  #21

My count so far is:
SteveG
Mochaman
Don
Hornman

HenryJ ?
Al McGee ?

Anyone else?

5/25/2017 4:02 PM  #22

Shrimp Dinner???  Did somebody say schrimp dinner???

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

5/25/2017 6:08 PM  #23

Hornman wrote:

My count so far is:
SteveG
Mochaman
Don
Hornman

HenryJ ?
Al McGee ?

Anyone else?

We're planning on it also. HudginJ3

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/25/2017 10:27 PM  #24

I've stayed in Lake Charles before while on the southern route and it was inexpensive and quiet, if that's any use. I want to say that I've stayed in Lafayette as well... but I can't remember when or why!

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

5/26/2017 6:43 AM  #25

Hornman wrote:

Don wrote:

You HAVE been paying attention!

yep butt NOTE although I like " Double Entendre  and Innuendo"  this link is NOT a political statement.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.