FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2017 9:30 AM  #1

How to flush fuel line w/o car running?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO MAF, T5z

I'm needing to flush the fuel lines in preparation for starting the mustang up after 3 years of sitting in the garage.  I ordered new fuel injectors and cleaned out (soaked) the fuel rails with carb cleaner and an air house.  (Lots of crud flakes came out.)

I'm not sure how to clean out the fuel lines that run from the engine to the gas tank.  I don't have the time/money to replace them and it would be a huge PITA to remove them to clean out.  Is it as simple as just unhooking the line from the gas tank and just flushing it w/ carb cleaner from the engine side?  Seems like gravity and the cleaner should do most of the work.

Thanks

5/24/2017 9:38 AM  #2

Re: How to flush fuel line w/o car running?

I would just disconnect then at both ends and start spraying carb cleaner into them and pushing it through with compressed air.  Just keep doing it until what comes out is clean.  Definitely replace the filter and plan on replacing it again shortly after you get it running. 

5/27/2017 6:22 AM  #3

That's the ethanol in the fuel more than anything.  Ethanol is hygroscopic, in other words it absorbs water.  It will absorb water directly from the moisture in the air.  When sitting for a long time the ethanol and water fall out of suspension and you get stratified liquids in your tank, with water on the bottom.

Ethanol is one of the dumbest things ever put into gasoline.  Touted as reducing emissions, but no one considers that it has significantly less chemical energy in it than gasoline, so the cars get worse fuel mileage.  An intelligent person would consider the idea of emissions per mile; not our government.  Then there is the supposed cost savings, but that's only because its subsidized as an "alternative fuel".  Remove that subsidy and any savings evaporate.  I've also seen studies that show it takes a gallon of gasoline to produce a gallon of ethanol, showing it makes even less sense.  You can thank the corn lobby and self serving politicians for putting this crap in your tank. 

Sorry for the tirade, but that's why you have problems like this that you never would have had with straight gas. 

5/27/2017 8:00 AM  #4

TKO, if I could give you 5 stars for that tirade, I would!  I have worked with alternative fuels for close to 30 years and I agree, Ethanol is a waste.  It is indeed upside down on the energy production cycle.  It requires more electricity and water than gasoline (almost 4 gallons of water per gallon of produced ethanol) and so on.
The only thing Ethanol is good for is the base feed stock for a smooth adult beverage.

5/27/2017 10:59 AM  #5

Agreed.  Ethanol should be used for ingestion,l not combustion!

5/27/2017 4:30 PM  #6

(sorry was having trouble uploading the pic)

Had to air out the garage to get rid of the of carb cleaner smell but this actually worked pretty good. One can of carb cleaner and an air compressor seemed to do the job.  Little concerning of all the crud in the fuel line but I guess that's what happens after 3 years.  This was way better than replacing the entire fuel lines. ​Brand new fuel injectors, soaked the fuel rails, purged the fuel lines, will replace the fuel filter after first 2 hours of running.  Will use a system cleaner after car gets running too.  Next is changing the coolant and oil change. Getting close to start day

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.