FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2017 6:33 PM  #1

Sons 1968 Mustang Brake Questions 6 cylinder

Looking at MS Brake Booster and Pedal.  Where would I get the Vacuum source on the 200 engine for booster?

He has non power drums on all 4 wheels.  I was thinking of giving my son my Granada brakes and spindles off my

69 and upgrade  to the larger brakes.   Can we use the proportioning valve he has now if we keep the drum brakes

on rear?   He might upgrade to disc on the rear down the road would have to change the proportioning valve again.

Just trying to keep the costs down for him now and make the care safe.

8/17/2017 8:33 PM  #2

Re: Sons 1968 Mustang Brake Questions 6 cylinder

Just start with an adjustable proportioning valve.  That way whatever you do it will still work. 

On the vacuum, you just need a source from the intake manifold.  I don't know if the 200 used a fitting with several nipples on it like the V8s, but all my vacuum comes from a common source.  I think that fitting in reproduced now.  I had a hell of a time finding mine 20+ years ago. 

8/19/2017 7:26 AM  #3

Thanks for the info!  When I looked closer at the Intake Manifold it looked like there was a place I might be able to use for Vacuum.  Looks like the transmission is using one of the posts too.

Steve69

8/20/2017 6:53 PM  #4

Yes, that's how my car is.  All vacuum is sourced from the fitting (brakes, trans, and vacuum tank for factory AC).

8/25/2017 9:07 PM  #5

There is no proportioning valve on a drum/drum 68. Rear drums are really small with 4 lugs. Replace rear with an 8" axle with drums. It will stop great mated to Granada front discs.
Probably easiest, as previously suggested to install an adjustable valve to fit all future scenarios. MustangSteve PV-100 is a good one to replace the existing differential pressure valve with an adjustable proportioning valve. It bolts right in place of the old valve.
The MS PB-6770 system replaces the manual pedal with correct power brake pedal and new Bendix booster. Makes the system identical to the 69 power brake setup that used Bendix booster.  (Same fitment as 68 Midland booster and pedal)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/26/2017 7:00 AM  #6

MS wrote:

There is no proportioning valve on a drum/drum 68. Rear drums are really small with 4 lugs. Replace rear with an 8" axle with drums. It will stop great mated to Granada front discs.
Probably easiest, as previously suggested to install an adjustable valve to fit all future scenarios. MustangSteve PV-100 is a good one to replace the existing differential pressure valve with an adjustable proportioning valve. It bolts right in place of the old valve.
The MS PB-6770 system replaces the manual pedal with correct power brake pedal and new Bendix booster. Makes the system identical to the 69 power brake setup that used Bendix booster. (Same fitment as 68 Midland booster and pedal)

Thanks for the info!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.