FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2017 7:20 AM  #1

Who here has sorted out all the squeaks and rattles in their old car?

This might be a dumb post, but I am curious about who has fixed all the squeaks and rattles in their car.

I think I have the old speaker rattling and the the door windows are definitely rattling.

Did you find any common areas? What did you do to fix it?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8 - 4 Speed - Autolite 4 barrel carb

8/25/2017 8:05 AM  #2

Re: Who here has sorted out all the squeaks and rattles in their old car?

8/25/2017 10:02 AM  #3

Outside of the rod ends on my front suspension which creaking sometimes, my 66 is actually pretty quiet.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

8/25/2017 11:20 AM  #4

Everything nice and quiet-ish except for the front suspension. .After chasing every joint around the shock towers and upgrading what can be, I've learned to tune it out. So, I'm good(-ish).
​Paul

8/25/2017 12:53 PM  #5

I don't know that they can be completely eliminated.  I also don't know how quiet they were from the factory.  People had different expectations from vehicles 50 years ago.  Today's cars have so much engineered into them to keep them quiet.  NVH is a big deal now, and even cheap cars can't been squeaking and annoying because it just won't be tolerated by today's consumers. 

I spent considerable time on my fold down seat and surrounding trim.  I added some neoprene strips here and there to stop metal on metal contact.  The suspension is another area that can squeak a lot, especially if you have poly bushings.  There's a super sticky and thick grease that 99% solves this for poly bushings (aka "whale snot"), but it requires disassembly to grease most bushings. 

8/25/2017 2:47 PM  #6

You are correct that there are two categories:
1. Squeeks
2. Rattles

Squeeks are caused by two parts rubbing against each other and causing a vibration (usually high pitched). If the parts have to move, lubrication is usually called for. If the parts don't have to move, then mechanical fastening or polymer dampening are good tools. I knew a guy that would buy a new car and take the dash apart to lay a bead of RTV on every mating surface. He WAS NOT going to have dash squeeks.

Rattles are caused by two parts banging together. Mechanical fastening is usually called for.  Replacing the window felts on our old Mustangs cures a high percentage of the rattles. New exhaust hangers and careful hanging of the pipes solves most of the rest. A rattle like TKO's trap door is the hard type to resolve.

Just attack it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

8/25/2017 3:35 PM  #7

Closing the doors usually sound like a #2 washtub being dropped with a cupful of marbles in it.  I got the low down form MS in Vandalia as to why his door closed so nice...think "Thunk".  He said to shoot a gob of RTV at every linkage joint in the door.  That and new felts, rollers and a little insulation made our doors sound pretty danged good.  Not like a new car but not like most 66's either.   Good enough that I've had a couple of guys ask, "how'd you do that?".  Just takes time, work, and determination...and judicious application of RTV.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/25/2017 3:36 PM)

"Bash 2016, Montrose, Colorado...you shoulda been there"

8/25/2017 6:17 PM  #8

Thanks guys!
I just fitted all new Moog gear to the front with new shocks all round as well. Suspension and Steering is all new and so far no squeaks. I hate poly bushes, so I stick with rubber.
I was under the back of the car earlier today and was spraying a good brand of silicon spray around the rear spring shackles as I think there was a little squeak there. That and the clutch arm.
The rest I would put into the category of rattles...
Door windows just need a complete going over. I think the mechanisms are shot, but as advised in another thread from some time back... I will pull the mechanisms out, degrease them and inspect before replacement. This task has been a long time coming, but numerous other more important things keep coming up.
When I get to the windows, I will probably ask for some detailed advice, because I want to get this right the first time.

8/26/2017 12:44 PM  #9

My convertible rattles more with the top up than down, friends with other makes of flop tops tell me the same.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   “My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best"

8/26/2017 6:12 PM  #10

I plan to finally tackle the window issue soon. I need to pull the entire hardware out of each side and refurbish what I can and replace what I need.
The drivers side window is winding down crooked and the door opening lever is starting to get really sticky.
In a previous post, it was advised that I clean down the mechanisms, inspect and then re-lubricate. I will do this.
I have purchased the new little roller bushes and some of those clips. With the window felts and channels, I am a bit confused. I remember Mustang Steve mentioning that he used a velcro, but there were no specifics on this.
Can anyone share a detailed break down on what exactly they have done with the door windows to make them better than new?
Thanks.

8/26/2017 9:10 PM  #11

I did all that on my 70 convertable. Took it completely apart, cleaned out all the old grease and lubed every thing with oil that moved and worked it all each individual piece until it all worked real easy then cleaned out all that oil again and checked that everything worked easy dry without oil on it then lubed it with LPS 3. LPS 3 is a grease in a spray can with a carrier in it that desolves leaving the grease. I sure there are other similar products out there. I replaced all the rubber seals and window seals and felts. It closes with a thunk now. I started all that because I have the glue in glass that had come loose. The only surprise I had was when cleaning one of the windows glass it disappeared into a whole bunch of little Chrystal pieces right in my lap.

9/01/2017 6:02 PM  #12

I know that these don't rattle, but with the remote control door latch that the interior door handles fit to... I am suspecting that I should maybe order new ones? These rely mostly on the concealed spring and am not sure how they can be serviceable?
If I do replace them, what is a decent brand to go with. I am questioning Scott Drake's equipment a lot now.

Last edited by Stevo (9/01/2017 6:03 PM)

9/01/2017 6:30 PM  #13

Thinking back, I don't remember any squeak and rattles in the one and only new car I order back in 1972. I just remember the 8 track......

9/03/2017 6:34 AM  #14

Well... Mine rattles http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

The other night I watched "Gone in 60 seconds" and the scene where he shut the door on the 67 Fastback... Wow, so solid. No rattles there.

9/04/2017 10:20 PM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

I got the low down form MS in Vandalia as to why his door closed so nice...think "Thunk".  He said to shoot a gob of RTV at every linkage joint in the door.  That and new felts, rollers and a little insulation made our doors sound pretty danged good.  Not like a new car but not like most 66's either.   Good enough that I've had a couple of guys ask, "how'd you do that?".  Just takes time, work, and determination...and judicious application of RTV.

BB

Is there anything special to the application of the RTV, or do you just "gob" it on?

Bob    69 Mach 351w, fmx Build-:http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44555-the--oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--is-back/

9/05/2017 7:07 AM  #16

I just shot a blob into joint at the end of each rod and let it set overnight.  It would probably help to blast each spot with some brake-clean first.  I just though of that.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (9/05/2017 7:08 AM)

9/05/2017 8:11 AM  #17

Stevo wrote:

The other night I watched "Gone in 60 seconds" and the scene where he shut the door on the 67 Fastback... Wow, so solid. No rattles there.

Yes, and in a car that cost every penny of $150,000 to build it damn well better!

9/05/2017 12:22 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Stevo wrote:

Yes, and in a car that cost every penny of $150,000 to build it damn well better!

Not to mention that sound was probably added in post-production by a Foley artist so it probably wasn't the sound of that car door at all.

Definition of Foley from wikipedia:
"Foley is the reproduction of everyday sound effects that are added to film, video, and other media in post-production to enhance audio quality. These reproduced sounds can be anything from the swishing of clothing and footsteps to squeaky doors and breaking glass."

9/05/2017 4:29 PM  #19

Great point!

9/05/2017 4:44 PM  #20

Michael H. wrote:

Not to mention that sound was probably added in post-production by a Foley artist so it probably wasn't the sound of that car door at all.

Yep. The first I heard of that technique was back in the mid 70's when I was checking out  Pete Chapouris' 34 Ford coupe which starred in The California Kid movie. Pete said the audio from a Corvette was used in the movie instead of the sound of the 34's 302 Ford engine. Who'd a thunk?

Last edited by rpm (9/05/2017 9:51 PM)

Bob    69 Mach 351w, fmx Build-:http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44555-the--oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--is-back/

9/05/2017 8:12 PM  #21

rpm wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

Yep. The first I heard of that technique was back in the mid 70's when I was checking out Pete Chapouris' 34 Ford coupe which started in The California Kid movie. Pete said the audio from a Corvette was used in the movie instead of the sound of the 34's 302 Ford engine. Who'd a thunk?

I got to go out and "keep an eye" on Pete's coupe with Jake one day...part of the agreement with the studio.  Pretty interesting butt movie folks are strange.  Had a good ride in Jake's 34 though.  Very neat car.  IIRC, Pete had a C4 in it but the sound track was constantly shifing...ah la 4 speed.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (9/05/2017 8:14 PM)

9/06/2017 11:01 AM  #22

Bullet Bob wrote:

I got to go out and "keep an eye" on Pete's coupe with Jake one day...part of the agreement with the studio.  Pretty interesting butt movie folks are strange.  Had a good ride in Jake's 34 though.  Very neat car.  IIRC, Pete had a C4 in it but the sound track was constantly shifing...ah la 4 speed.

BB

Dang, big time envy here. Jake's 34 looks so cool with the circa 37 grille. I also recall a C4 in Pete's 34.

9/06/2017 12:36 PM  #23

rpm wrote:

Dang, big time envy here. Jake's 34 looks so cool with the circa 37 grille. I also recall a C4 in Pete's 34.

Last time I saw Jake was seven or eight years ago and he told me he had sold the Neicamp roadster and his coupe.  Peterson got the Neicamp and the coupe went to the same guy in Kansas City that bought the business and Pete's car, I think.  He built a hugh garage/shop...four double doors and a 20' or so by full length cover over the apron.  Man that'll make you all jello.  
I still have the old Rod & Custom with both cars on the cover.   We'll discuss SoCal hot rods from back in the day when you get here. 

BB

9/06/2017 3:25 PM  #24

So in a movie where the car is one of the stars they used the wrong audio to dub with?

Interesting that for Cars they used the actual Fabulous Hudson Hornet for the sounds made by Doc Hudson.  The kids get better movies now than we do!

9/07/2017 10:36 AM  #25

TKOPerformance wrote:

Interesting that for Cars they used the actual Fabulous Hudson Hornet for the sounds made by Doc Hudson.

That's awesome.  I had no idea.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.