FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/08/2017 6:15 AM  #26

Re: Who here has sorted out all the squeaks and rattles in their old car?

Bullet Bob wrote:

Closing the doors usually sound like a #2 washtub being dropped with a cupful of marbles in it.  I got the low down form MS in Vandalia as to why his door closed so nice...think "Thunk".  He said to shoot a gob of RTV at every linkage joint in the door.  That and new felts, rollers and a little insulation made our doors sound pretty danged good.  Not like a new car but not like most 66's either.   Good enough that I've had a couple of guys ask, "how'd you do that?".  Just takes time, work, and determination...and judicious application of RTV.
BB

Is there a chance that we can get a little more of a low down on this procedure? Any diagrams or pictures? Thanks!

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8 - 4 Speed - Autolite 4 barrel carb

9/08/2017 6:17 AM  #27

Stevo wrote:

With the window felts and channels, I am a bit confused. I remember Mustang Steve mentioning that he used a velcro, but there were no specifics on this.
Thanks.

Any thoughts on this?

9/08/2017 6:19 AM  #28

With the remote door opening levers, these are a sealed unit and I think they probably have to be replaced. Does anyone know of a good brand?
Thanks

9/08/2017 10:25 AM  #29

Stevo wrote:

Stevo wrote:

With the window felts and channels, I am a bit confused. I remember Mustang Steve mentioning that he used a velcro, but there were no specifics on this.
Thanks.

Any thoughts on this?

I think MS was referring to the HOOK side of the Velcro pair.  This material is very similar to the original stuff that was used in the rear window guide.  I should work better than felt in that it would have less drag on the window frame and not tend to bind.

As for a "procedure" for applying RTV to the door innards.  Remove the door panel and use brake-clean (Sal just loves that stuff) to clean the five (I think) places where a rod passes through a lever and then force a bit of RTV into each joint.  Let it cure over night and it will keep the rods from rattling around in the levers when you close the door, butt (TS&T) will still allow angular movement between each rod and lever. 

BB

I have found the true secret of life....keep waking up!

9/09/2017 11:01 PM  #30

Bullet Bob wrote:

Stevo wrote:

Stevo wrote:

Thanks.

Any thoughts on this?

I think MS was referring to the HOOK side of the Velcro pair.  This material is very similar to the original stuff that was used in the rear window guide.  I should work better than felt in that it would have less drag on the window frame and not tend to bind.

As for a "procedure" for applying RTV to the door innards.  Remove the door panel and use brake-clean (Sal just loves that stuff) to clean the five (I think) places where a rod passes through a lever and then force a bit of RTV into each joint.  Let it cure over night and it will keep the rods from rattling around in the levers when you close the door, butt (TS&T) will still allow angular movement between each rod and lever. 

BB

Thanks BB! With installing the hook part of the velcro, how does one do this?

9/11/2017 5:04 AM  #31

Stevo wrote:

Thanks BB! With installing the hook part of the velcro, how does one do this?

Well, if I'm correct about using that...I didn't but will probably wish that I did in our car...I'd just use contact cement to glue it into the freshly cleaned guide with the hook side out (visible...rubbing against the window).  If you do a little googleing you can probably find a source for wide, 2 to 4", velcro.

Hopefully MS or someone else will chime in here if I'm leading you down the garden path.

BB

9/11/2017 9:27 AM  #32

''The scott drake fixit kit is garbage. The velcro from walmart sewing department works much better.
Just be sure to get clean, bare metal in the tracks before applying the self-stick velcro. '' quote from MS 0n 7-7-17

9/11/2017 3:22 PM  #33

Hornman wrote:

''The scott drake fixit kit is garbage. The velcro from walmart sewing department works much better.
Just be sure to get clean, bare metal in the tracks before applying the self-stick velcro. '' quote from MS 0n 7-7-17

Thanks Ron, I thought I was pretty close.

BB

9/11/2017 5:41 PM  #34

Most of the stores that carry Velcro will stock the heavy duty version. I know Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart all stock it. The heavy duty has a far superior adhesive. I did my window felts 6 years ago and they still look as good as new. Hint: Don't stretch it as you lay it in. It will return to it's original length!

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, 670 Street Avenger, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

9/11/2017 7:21 PM  #35

When you are putting the Velcro on. are you using the hard plastic hook side or the softer clothier side?
Yes Clothier is a word. I just made it up. 

9/11/2017 8:25 PM  #36

The softer "Clothier" (to use your word) is the side you want. Look around for one that has some thickness to the nap. A little thickness stabilizes the window better in the down position.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock top end, 670 Street Avenger, MSD, JBA Headers & Exhaust, T-5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

9/12/2017 5:33 PM  #37

Thanks Rhutt.  I thought I had heard some time back to use the "hook" side and It does kind of resemble the original stuff that I had removed.  This info came after I had repaired ours so I never questioned it.  So I stand corrected...use the "loop" (softer, clothier) side.

BB

9/13/2017 4:58 AM  #38

Mochaman wrote:

When you are putting the Velcro on. are you using the hard plastic hook side or the softer clothier side?
Yes Clothier is a word. I just made it up. 

It is a word, but it means a store where they sell clothes as in Stawbridge and Clothiers.  I think you mean to say "more cloth like".  Sorry, sometimes my grandmother's English major brain intrudes on mine.

9/13/2017 7:30 AM  #39

How bout " clothyer"http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   “My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best"

9/13/2017 7:46 AM  #40

Just so that we don't get hung up on the terminology, this picture should help to clear things up. It is the LOOP side that will appear and function more like the worn out felt that you are trying to replace.
http://i64.tinypic.com/24vjeyc.jpg

Last edited by rhutt (9/13/2017 7:50 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.