FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2017 1:52 PM  #1

Voltage regulator

Original style 1966 voltage regulator putting out almost 16 volts at 2500 rpm.  Seems too high.  What is normal?
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

9/06/2017 1:57 PM  #2

Re: Voltage regulator

As I recall from my auto-electricican days back in 65ish...Fords of that era were supposed to do 14.6V

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/06/2017 3:29 PM  #3

16 is way high.  Typical automotive electrical current with the engine running should be in the 14.5 volt range.  Keep in mind that the 12 volt electrical system is really powered by a 12.6 volt battery (six 2.1 volt cells).  But 16 is concerning.  I seem to recall you can adjust those voltage regulators by removing the cover and turning some screws.

9/06/2017 5:01 PM  #4

Regulators are set relative to ambient temps.Unless you were in the middle of Death Valley in Summer, I'd replace the reg.
http://i66.tinypic.com/25q7huq.jpg

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/06/2017 5:18 PM  #5

14.6 volts is the right number.
 Unbeknownst to me I had a bum regulator that was allowing the alternator to put out 18 volts.
 The result was an almost new Autolite repo battery to be fried.
 I switched to an electronic one that solved the problem. Since then I went to a 3 G, internally regulated.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/06/2017 9:19 PM  #6

Just changed out my original 66 regulator for a new electronic. Puts out just over 14v.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

9/07/2017 9:40 AM  #7

I too did the 3G swap.  Very happy with it.  Puts out a steady 14.5 volts.  I kept the original voltage regulator in place, so it appears as stock as possible, but modified the wiring so it no longer does anything much other than being a box for a diode to stop current backflow. 

9/08/2017 12:33 PM  #8

Seems like a good time to consider a 3G alternator if you're up for it.  The one wire setup is pretty simple.  

9/08/2017 4:09 PM  #9

Thanks for all responses.  Would install new electronic VR or an internally regulated alternator in a minute; however this car was on the show circuit years ago, and my bride does not want to change "the look".  I have a new original style regulator that  will work after installing the outer cover from the bad one.  Thanks again for the help.
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

9/08/2017 6:33 PM  #10

Yeah, I built my car as a stock resto when I did it too.  20 years ago that's what people did.  I remember looking at modified cars in magazines and thinking "why?!".  But times change.  I'd rather enjoy the car that have a showroom stocker that sits because its no fun to drive.  That being said, I still care about maintaining a classic, and therefore in my opinion, timeless look.  So I've very particular about how I do things.  All the new wiring has to be either hidden or well integrated with the stock stuff.  I went with simple black face Autometer gauges when I did my dash.  The idea is that it looks like it plausibly came that way, if better tech had been available in 1967.  Its kind of steampunk for the '60s I guess. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.