FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2017 6:52 PM  #1

Death noises II

quote=HudginJ3]Well crud. I'm having trouble with my stang too. I was changing a power steering hose and when letting the car down off the jack stands the car slipped off the jack and smashed the oil pan, the center link and some power steering hoses. I'll be busier than I need to be trying to get ready for the trip."

I got the stang finished good enough to start this afternoon. It's a no go. I replaced the oil pan, straightened the center link and all the p/s hoses. Fired it up to check for leaks and there is a rod knock. I guess the oil pan was bent more than I thought.

Any body know if the crank can come out the bottom?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/16/2017 9:03 PM  #2

Re: Death noises II

The real question is why is there a rod knock because you changed your oil pan. No rod knock before the oil pan got squished? Here's my 3 questions. Did you inspect the oil pump pickup when you had the pan off that you damaged to make sure it wasn't damaged as well. Does the engine have a windage tray inside the oil pan that possibly got damaged? Did you fill the engine back up with oil and is the low oil light on when the engine is running? My guess by diagnosing over the internet is that either there is something damaged inside the oil pan contacting the rotating assembly or the rotating assembly is contacting the oil pan itself.

9/16/2017 10:14 PM  #3

MachTJ wrote:

The real question is why is there a rod knock because you changed your oil pan. No rod knock before the oil pan got squished? Here's my 3 questions. Did you inspect the oil pump pickup when you had the pan off that you damaged to make sure it wasn't damaged as well. Does the engine have a windage tray inside the oil pan that possibly got damaged? Did you fill the engine back up with oil and is the low oil light on when the engine is running? My guess by diagnosing over the internet is that either there is something damaged inside the oil pan contacting the rotating assembly or the rotating assembly is contacting the oil pan itself.

X2 of what MachTJ said

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/16/2017 10:47 PM  #4

HudginJ3 wrote:

... the car slipped off the jack and smashed the oil pan,

I'm guessing whatever force smashed the oil pan didn't stop there and made contact with a con rod cap. And I'm pretty sure that's what Hudgin is saying.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/16/2017 10:49 PM  #5

HudginJ3 wrote:

Any body know if the crank can come out the bottom?

I don't know if I'd even entertain that thought...let alone attempt it.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/16/2017 11:51 PM  #6

It would be easier to pull the engine and put it on a stand. The work required to drop the crank would be a real PITA trying to do it in the car. Also, if you find more problems then you might have to pull it anyway. Besides, you can do a much better job on an engine stand than in the car.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/17/2017 5:22 PM  #7

I keep getting interrupted by THE BOY's.

What rpm said is what I was trying to say, although I never thought to check the oil pump pick up. I did wipe the oil off it after I got a drip in the eye ball. The damage was in the shallow end of the pan where the center link went I into it. The engine is a 351 W and to be honest I don't think I have what it takes to take out the crank from the bottom. Also the tranny would have to come out to get the crank out.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/18/2017 8:29 PM  #8

rpm wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

... the car slipped off the jack and smashed the oil pan,

I'm guessing whatever force smashed the oil pan didn't stop there and made contact with a con rod cap. And I'm pretty sure that's what Hudgin is saying.

If this is what happened then you can almost be positive the oil pump pickup tube is being hit by the rotating assembly. 

9/18/2017 9:05 PM  #9

HudginJ3 wrote:

The damage was in the shallow end of the pan where the center link went I into it.

9/18/2017 9:58 PM  #10

Got the oil pan off tonight...a connecting rod nut is hitting the side of the brand new oil pan. The pan is too narrow by a 1/16 of an inch compared to the old one. Nothing a hammer can't fix. I'm going to bed, I'll fix it tomorrow.

9/18/2017 10:19 PM  #11

Great, Doug.  Looking forward to seeing you kids...and your vert in FWB.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/19/2017 8:28 AM  #12

Glad it was an easy fix.

9/19/2017 10:41 AM  #13

Nice.  Mr ball peen is your friend.

9/20/2017 9:09 PM  #14

"If by chance the steering wheel has taken on a possessed demeanor, serious injury can result from the steering wheel itself, so very quickly shut off the engine. If your steering wheel is bouncing around all on its own you have the ram hoses backwards. Remove the two hoses from the ram at the control valve only and reverse them to correct the problem."

This is exactly what happened when I started the engine tonight. The engine didn't knock, that is a good thing. The ball peen did it's thing. The steering which is what started this fiasco, went bananas.

9/20/2017 11:07 PM  #15

No knock is good news.

9/21/2017 9:32 AM  #16

HudginJ3 wrote:

The steering which is what started this fiasco, went bananas.

Borgeson makes it way nicer...and it's essentially a bolt in swap for your car.  My hyper-picky son drove it 50 or 75 miles last week and declared it to be like night & day compared to the stock system.   I gotta agree.
Glad you are knock-free.  See ya in two weeks.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/21/2017 9:31 PM  #17

Not doing any more to it till after the bash...I might break it.   

10/01/2017 8:38 PM  #18

I didn't do anything to it except drive it and the brakes broke. The pedal kept getting harder and harder til it would hardly stop yesterday and today. New booster and master cylinder are going on tonight and tomorrow.

10/01/2017 9:20 PM  #19

John, that really sucks. Seems like the car doesn't want to be driven or it's really liked the attention lately and wants it continued. 

Good luck and you still have a few days.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/01/2017 9:34 PM  #20

I would offer to help, but you don't need my bad luck around your bad luck...... unless two negatives makes a positive.
I am dropping mine off for the alignment to redo the camber and toe, then I should be good to go. 
​Knock on steel.

10/01/2017 9:55 PM  #21

What is your vacuum level going into the brake booster? This was my hard brake pedal issue. I was trying to go with an electric vacuum pump system, but couldn't get all of the parts lined up and installed before the bash trip. I ended up installing an extra vacuum canister and that greatly improved the whole system. Is the vacuum check valve on your old system still good? Could the gasket be bad and allowing the vacuum to not hold?

10/02/2017 6:27 AM  #22

Mochaman wrote:

I would offer to help, but you don't need my bad luck around your bad luck...... unless two negatives makes a positive.

I was thinking of the same thing. The brakes have been working fine for the past several years but I did check the vacuum going to the booster just to be sure. It has always been around 12 to 13 in mg. I got the parts I needed after two trips to Summit with a little help from MS. When I got the MC off the booster it was leaking. I wanted to ignore it but thought that was was a bad choice. Hopefully I get it finished tonight. It going back together now.

10/02/2017 8:45 AM  #23

Better now than in a middle of a trip. You could earn the wrench award.

10/02/2017 2:49 PM  #24

I wish everyone luck, including myself, not to win the wrench award.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

10/03/2017 7:19 AM  #25

I got the brakes working last night. Had to go get the last SAE brake line that O'reilly had. All the rest were metric. Will finish putting the car together today and see the group at Buckies tomorrow.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.