FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2017 1:21 PM  #1

Mustang fastback rear seats

I started pulling the seat covers off the frames today , And my question is the part numbers on the lower seat is C9ZB6363120A .That tells me seat frame is a 69 fastback correct ? But the car is a 1971 fastback, Reason for the Question Is I need to replace to the foam and burlap, The foam is available for a 69 .So are the two seats year to year the same ?

If its worth doing do it right !

9/20/2017 10:16 PM  #2

Re: Mustang fastback rear seats

The part may say C9XX originating in 1969 but if there were no changes and they used the same pieces for a couple or three years then the part may be original to your car. I would give the '69 foam a "go."

Last edited by Muzz 66 (9/20/2017 10:18 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/21/2017 5:04 AM  #3

I can't say for sure.  Regarding the seat frame, yes, its entirely possible that Ford continued to use the same part, and thus it still carries a part number indicating that it was introduced in '69.  If the part was never modified by Ford it would still carry the part number indicating it was built in '69.  When modifications are made typically they stop using the old part number and use a new part number with a year corresponding to the year the change was introduced.  This is assuming that they consider the new part a replacement for the old one.  You would still be able to look up the old part number, but the computer will tell you that it has been superseded by the new part number. 

If they are substantially different the old part number would remain for the old application and the new part number would serve a new application, like a body style change from '69 to '71 for example.  So if you look up say a front bumper for a '69 it is going to have a '69 part number and a bumper for a '71 carries a '71 part number, etc. 

I would therefore suppose that the seat frames are the same for '69 and '71.  Where you might run into trouble is if they changed the upholstery style, and thus possibly the foam.  In my experience a part will typically be said to fit as many years as possible, sometimes even claiming it fits models it really doesn't.  This isn't 100% of the time, just mostly.  If there's no other option it may be worth it to try the '69 foam and see if it fits, or can be easily modified to fit.  You can always make new foam if needed, but without a proper reference point its kind of hard to get it right the first time.  Another old trick is to use cotton batting to make up the lost thickness.  I did this with all of my seats 24 years ago, because foam was either not available or I didn't have the scratch for it back then.  The fronts could use some new foam now, but the back still looks decent.  You can also glue new foam to the old buns to build them back up. 

9/21/2017 10:38 AM  #4

I looked at several Mustang parts suppliers and found a common trait: they list one part number for fastback seat foam for 64-70 Mustangs. They all sell 71 rear seat upholstery, but none list seat foam for 71's. I seem to remember that the 71's were wider than the 70's, so it would make sense that the rear seats would be wider. I cannot explain the part number on your rear seat frame. My Ford Parts Exchange manual does not list rear seat frames. If someone has an assembly manual for a 71, it should have a part number for the seat frame.

As TKO says, you can make your own seat foam, I did for thirty years before the aftermarket started producing things like molded seat foam kits. Find an upholstery supplier for sheet foam and burlap, plus foam glue. There are tutorials on the upholstery companies websites that will teach you how to design, fit, cut, and shape your foam and burlap, plus how to cover your seat padding with scrim to make getting the new upholstery over the padding easier. It's another skill for the old car hobby, one that I rather enjoy. That is why I have a sewing machine and an electric carving knife in my shop. I used to have a hot wire cutter for foam, but when I saw the aftermarket was supplying molded foam for the cars I had, I sold the hot wire cutter (very stinky to use).

9/21/2017 2:40 PM  #5

Again thanks to all , I think what I need to do is locate the size of a 69 frame compared to a 71All the original foam was toasted from sitting in the Georgia sun for so many years , Again thanks for the help .This is the best site out there.

9/22/2017 5:02 PM  #6

Update on my search for a solution on my seat foam for the rear of my 1971 mustang fastback. I contacted CJ pony they sort of answered my questions. I then contacted TMI they were most helpful . So if I understand correctly the 69 foam will fit and work . Now need to decide how to proceed  .Rear covers are not available separately. and was thinking of using new seats in front . I sometimes wonder why I took on a 71 Mach 1 , Then I think back and a 73 mach1  was the first new car I bought , And have been hooked ever since.    

9/30/2017 10:13 PM  #7

Here is a resources that may help:  http://www.folddownseat.com/

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.