FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2017 4:58 AM  #1

Brake Pressure Switch

Boy do I seem to be having a rough ride lately with faulty aftermarket parts!
I had someone tell me today that my brake lights were not working... Always a scary thing to be told.
After doing a few checks, it seems the brand new brake pressure switch has quit on me. I have the CSRP front disc brake conversion with the Mustang Steve adjusting proportioning valve fitted directly below the master and brake booster. With it's location in the car and all the brake lines around it, it looks like it will be a very painful task swapping it over. I see a capped off blank port on the tandem master cylinder and wondered (hoped like crazy) that this might be a suitable location to fit a new brake pressure switch? I would just leave the redundant one in the adjustable proportioning valve. My experience with these aftermarket parts lately is telling me that I need to have an easy location to put the brake pressure switch, so it is easier for me to swap it out the next time one fails on me.
Can anyone help me out with some good news?
Thanks,

Last edited by Stevo (10/06/2017 4:48 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/08/2017 8:02 AM  #2

Re: Brake Pressure Switch

Have not seen problems with those. How do you have it wired?  Do you have the rear port of the mc plumbed to the non adjustable end of the valve?  The pressure switch acts on the front brakes.
Check the pressure switch with ohmeter to see if it makes contact when brakes are applied to eliminate possible other sources of the problem.
Will be happy to replace the switch.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/14/2017 11:38 PM  #3

A number of years ago I fitted one of those 3 bulb conversion kits to my taillights for extra brightness. Well, that extra brightness turned out to be drawing about 10 amps and this is what most probably fried my stop light pressure switch   
I have since purchased LED taillights, to fix the issue.
With the stop light pressure switch. It is mounted to the adjustable proportioning valve. I have to remove it and swap it out, but cannot work out what people use to remove/replace them. None of my sockets fit. It seems to be a very strange size. Can anyone please share what tool needs to be used to remove this? It is in a real tight spot too as I have it all connected up and I REALLY do not want to remove the adjustable proportioning valve.
Thanks

Last edited by Stevo (10/14/2017 11:41 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/15/2017 8:43 AM  #4

Just a thought Stevo but have you tried any metric wrenches ,you know how the auto people like to mess with our heads. 

A bad day working on your mustang beats a good day at work anytime

10/15/2017 6:57 PM  #5

flamingpony wrote:

Just a thought Stevo but have you tried any metric wrenches ,you know how the auto people like to mess with our heads. 

Thanks for the post.
I tried the metric range and it seems to be something like a 25mm? I do not have one of these sized sockets and went to the local auto store and all they had were sizes up to 24mm and then it skipped 25mm and 26mm and continued on from 27mm.
Quite frustrating...

10/15/2017 9:37 PM  #6

I use a large crescent wrench, but I realize your space limitations.

10/15/2017 10:53 PM  #7

MS wrote:

I use a large crescent wrench, but I realize your space limitations.

I was worried this might be the case... Is this the only option? Does anyone know if a socket will fit? It nearly looks like a 25mm socket will fit it? Maybe?
Hoping to not have to pull the lines and adjustable proportioning valve out as this will be a real pain.
If a socket is not an option... How tight are these switches when done up? There may be an ever so slight chance that I can latch a set of multi-grip pliers onto the thing and loosen it to where I can wind it off by hand.
How much brake fluid do you think I am going to lose?
Thanks.

10/16/2017 10:25 AM  #8

I have seen specialty sockets for sensors at auto parts stores. Try a couple of your local parts stores to see if they have something that will fit.

10/16/2017 4:53 PM  #9

If you leave the master cylinder lid attached and do not push the brake pedal, you will not lose hardly any fluid.  No rebleeding will be necessary most likely.  The fitting has a 1/8" pipe thread and is not usually that tight, but you should use a crescent wrench on the valve body to keep from moving while you remove the switch.  Check under the switch body.  Some might have a 1/2" hex under there.

10/16/2017 9:43 PM  #10

Hornman wrote:

I have seen specialty sockets for sensors at auto parts stores. Try a couple of your local parts stores to see if they have something that will fit.

Thanks. I managed to find one online and had to order it. I sure hope it fits...

10/16/2017 9:46 PM  #11

MS wrote:

If you leave the master cylinder lid attached and do not push the brake pedal, you will not lose hardly any fluid.  No rebleeding will be necessary most likely.  The fitting has a 1/8" pipe thread and is not usually that tight, but you should use a crescent wrench on the valve body to keep from moving while you remove the switch.  Check under the switch body.  Some might have a 1/2" hex under there.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was planning to do it this way. Technically, it should not need re-bleeding as you say. I will check to be certain though...
Fitting the socket in this really tight area will be the big test. I have the adjustable proportioning valve directly under the master cylinder as I thought this was the best place for accessibility. The pressure switch is so close to the brake lines and fittings though.

10/16/2017 9:49 PM  #12

FYI - I have learned (from an Automotive Electrician) that this is a really bad idea

https://www.lamustang.com/Content/generated-images/parts/original/6526_o.jpg

He advised me this creates such a massive current draw and is not good at all...

10/16/2017 10:01 PM  #13

Stevo wrote:

FYI - I have learned (from an Automotive Electrician) that this is a really bad idea

https://www.lamustang.com/Content/generated-images/parts/original/6526_o.jpg

He advised me this creates such a massive current draw and is not good at all...

Like most modifications, it depends on how you do it. If you just replace the single bulb tail lights with triple bulb, then you triple the current on the stock wiring. If you add a relay to the tail light and flasher circuits with a suitable power wire, then it is perfectly safe. Automotive electrician?

10/20/2017 6:51 AM  #14

Update...
The Toledo tools brake/oil pressure switch socket arrived. It worked a treat! Really tight, but there was just enough room to get the socket in there and the 3/8 drive ratchet.
The old brake pressure switch was very tight though and took a good bit of force for me to loosen it.
I swapped out the switch and all is good now.
Thanks for the help!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.