FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2017 7:24 AM  #1

Center Console Opinion?

I'm picking one of these up today...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-consoles-humphugger-cruiser-console-coupe-fastback-1965-1970/p/CON7-V/

I actually owned their shorter version before and found it to be ok.  I want the larger cup holders, matching black colors, and additional cover for the shifter.

Anyone have one of these?  How's it working for you?  I kicked around the idea of a full custom console but the money and time seem not worth it for now. Plus these seem to work w/ original a/c.

thank you

10/31/2017 7:56 AM  #2

Re: Center Console Opinion?

I have the smaller version and really like it. It's a necessaty  for me now that my fuse panel occupies the glove box.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/31/2017 12:33 PM  #3

I had one of those in my 66, worked well. The offset cupholders take up significant space in the passenger footwell.

10/31/2017 2:55 PM  #4

They (CJPony) usually run a sale a couple times a year but for sure around the holidays.  You might save 15% or more if you can wait for it.  

10/31/2017 11:42 PM  #5

I have one and I like it.  It sits on top of the hump and is held down with only its own weight.  Friction against the carpet is enough to keep it in place.  Hornman is right.  the cup holders do impinge into the passenger foot well, but, I seldom have passengers.  They also sit a little far from my hand, but I can handle the reach ok.  One thing I do like is the arm rest with storage underneath.  Now I have something to lean on when needed and the storage space is perfect for my sun glasses and driving gloves.

Quality is fine for daily driving, not car shows.  ​I do not remember where I got it, but most are made in the same place in China somewhere..

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/01/2017 4:00 PM  #6

I've seen them before and they look good and seem to be well-liked by those that have them.

I opted to make my own as I wanted to integrate a center-mounted emergency brake. I modeled it off of the '68 Shelby console but then used the Humphugger side-saddle cupholder idea, except I made my cupholders removable for a more streamlined look at shows or if I am driving around someone who MUST have all of that space. They don't seem to take up nearly as much space as the Humphugger cupholders for some reason though.

Anyways, me and my Dad made this console for less than $200 all-in, and that included paying someone for some of the upholstery work.

No cupholders:

With cupholders:

**Should be noted that the second pic is an old pic taken prior to the final finish of the console - we cleaned up the under-AC compartment some more and slightly changed the cupholder setup, but the concept/execution is still more or less the same.

Last edited by Kelly_H (11/01/2017 4:01 PM)

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

11/02/2017 6:17 PM  #7

That's a nice console.  I'm currently doing a rear seat delete and will have some extra upholstery material left over that I could use on a console.  Would you mind describing how you did it?  Build pics would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

11/02/2017 6:28 PM  #8

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

11/03/2017 9:55 AM  #9

Wow that looks fantastic.  Tell me about that tunnel mounted e-brake.

I really can't stand the stock e-brake.  It's useless.  A 4th petal makes the underdash real crowded and an off the shelf lever seems awkward and a tight fit.

I want my mustang to be a daily driver and w/ a 5 speed a tunnel mounted e-brake makes life so much easier.

thanks

11/03/2017 10:10 AM  #10

TremendousWand wrote:

I really can't stand the stock e-brake.  It's useless.  A 4th petal makes the underdash real crowded and an off the shelf lever seems awkward and a tight fit.

I want my mustang to be a daily driver and w/ a 5 speed a tunnel mounted e-brake makes life so much easier.

thanks

Here's Daze's write up on the tunnel mount e-brake. http://dazecars.com/dazed/e-brake.html

I don't have pics, but I cut a section of the tunnel out of an 03 Mustang that includes the handle and cable stops and grafted it into the 66 tunnel.  Works great with our rear Cobra brakes, using OEM cables, etc, as the 03 had rear discs from the factory.

11/04/2017 5:01 PM  #11

Thanks Kelly_H and Daze, Great Ideas.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

11/04/2017 5:02 PM  #12

Thanks Kelly_H and Daze, Great Ideas.

Tubo

11/05/2017 2:23 AM  #13

TremendousWand wrote:

thanks

My parking brake is a Lokar unit, which comes with all of the bracketry and cables and what have you that you could ever need for your car. I like it really well because it's just a little fancier and more "period correct" looking than most modern ebrakes, which are typically black plastic. However, the OEM modern ebrakes have the advantage of having larger, better ratcheting mechanisms than the Lokar brake. Either way, the Lokar holds my car on a slope while out of gear just fine. 

Super easy to install, just chop a hole in the trans tunnel for the mechanism to slide through and then bolt it up and run the lines. Adjusting the lines is the hardest part, really. 

11/05/2017 10:03 AM  #14

BTW Kelly_H, is the "T" handle, where the parking brake handle formerly abided, a hood release or is there another function??

Corky

11/06/2017 7:07 AM  #15

Kelly_H wrote:

My parking brake is a Lokar unit, which comes with all of the bracketry and cables and what have you that you could ever need for your car. I like it really well because it's just a little fancier and more "period correct" looking than most modern ebrakes, which are typically black plastic. However, the OEM modern ebrakes have the advantage of having larger, better ratcheting mechanisms than the Lokar brake. Either way, the Lokar holds my car on a slope while out of gear just fine. 

Super easy to install, just chop a hole in the trans tunnel for the mechanism to slide through and then bolt it up and run the lines. Adjusting the lines is the hardest part, really. 

So how do you determine the location of the cutout for the e-brake?  Obviously it's centered on the tunnel but you don't want it too far back or too far forward.  Hacking the tunnel is really a one shot kind of thing.  I saw the other build welded some brackets and plates for the cable wires.  Was yours a bold in only operation.  I imagine you'd want a reinforcing plate of some kind since you'll be essentially pulling on the tunnel thin sheet metal.  

Those e-brakes run less than $125, I might have to push up this modification and go back to a custom console.

11/06/2017 9:22 AM  #16

Well, I used a very scientific measurement... first, I put the car in 2nd gear with the shift lever as far back as it goes. Then I sat in the seat and put my arm down like I was leaning on the armrest and figured out where the armrest needed to be. Then I chopped the hole rearward of the furthest back throw on the shifter and just slightly forward of where the front of the armrest should have been.

I wouldn't hesitate to use bolts only for this system, as the transmission tunnel is really quite strong at this point due to the curve in it. But mine is welded in, because my body guy got on a welding kick and welded everything to the floor one day for unknown reasons I'm sure that will annoy me at some point in time way down the line when he's long dead and his ghost will laugh at me one last time.

If you want, I can measure the exact distance on mine from the back of the shifter hole to the front of the shift lever. It is pretty perfectly mounted.

11/06/2017 9:22 AM  #17

Tubo - yes, the ebrake handle got another function

11/06/2017 11:07 AM  #18

Kelly_H wrote:

Tubo - yes, the ebrake handle got another function

Another function, un-named.
So what's it do?? You running moonshine and that’s the oil dump fer when the Federales are chasing??

Tubo

5/18/2018 1:27 PM  #19

Kelly_H wrote:

Did you install the lokar parking brake above or above the tunnel?  Did you use a spacer?

5/18/2018 2:41 PM  #20

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/21/2018 7:27 AM  #21

I have the lokar instructions, but I found a youtube video of a guy who said that the mechanism was hitting his drive shaft so he had to modify it and place it above the tunnel w/ spacers.

Also the e-brake from the fox body mustangs that was installed in http://dazecars.com/dazed/e-brake.html is installed above the tunnel.  Wondering if they had similar issues.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.