FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2017 1:13 PM  #1

break in oil and zinc additive

Hi , 
after rebuilding the engine i was looking at oil to use for break in .
Maybe i cant find your brand here in italy so i would ask  the specs as i can find something close .
Mineral or syntetic  ?  10 w40  coud be good ?  or 5 w 30
The zinc additive for break in is something to add to oil  or is already inn ? ( dumb Qst ) 

about transmission ( t5)  is mentioned to use automatic fluid for transmission ,     ???  why  i have to use automatic oil in a manual trans ? 
also for this i am asking some specs about the right oil for manual t5 .
thank you ! 

11/02/2017 1:51 PM  #2

Re: break in oil and zinc additive

Everyone with a T5 should download this manual:  www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

The Tremec manual explains that the T5 uses Dextron II transmission fluid because the T5 uses needle bearings which need the lower viscosity lube to properly flow between the needle bearing rollers. Also, if you are using it in a manual transmission, the lube is manual transmission lube. If you use regular gear lube in a T5 the bearings will have a very short life.

If you are using a non-roller lifter camshaft you will have to provide proper lubrication, which means zinc and phosphorous in the form of ZDDP (zinc dithiophosphate). In the U.S. most manufacturers have quit adding zinc and phosphate because roller cams do not need them. We have to go to specialty oil suppliers like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Joe Gibbs to get hot rod oil with these additives included. All the auto parts stores sell the ZDDP additive separately to be added to cheaper zinc and phosphate free oil.

You will have to use oil with the zink and phosphate additives both during break in and during normal driving. Without these lubricating additives, the lifters can weld themselves to the camshaft lobes.

With a freshly rebuilt engine I would use 5W-30

11/02/2017 2:17 PM  #3

11/02/2017 3:38 PM  #4

Hornman wrote:

Everyone with a T5 should download this manual:  www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

The Tremec manual explains that the T5 uses Dextron II transmission fluid because the T5 uses needle bearings which need the lower viscosity lube to properly flow between the needle bearing rollers. Also, if you are using it in a manual transmission, the lube is manual transmission lube. If you use regular gear lube in a T5 the bearings will have a very short life.

If you are using a non-roller lifter camshaft you will have to provide proper lubrication, which means zinc and phosphorous in the form of ZDDP (zinc dithiophosphate). In the U.S. most manufacturers have quit adding zinc and phosphate because roller cams do not need them. We have to go to specialty oil suppliers like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Joe Gibbs to get hot rod oil with these additives included. All the auto parts stores sell the ZDDP additive separately to be added to cheaper zinc and phosphate free oil.

You will have to use oil with the zink and phosphate additives both during break in and during normal driving. Without these lubricating additives, the lifters can weld themselves to the camshaft lobes.

With a freshly rebuilt engine I would use 5W-30

Thank you for teach me but there is something that still not clear about trans oil .
I havent say that is a t5 cobra z spec ( i dont know if change something about oil )
About Dextron i have found that is no longer available  . This is copy from MDL

The original Ford/Borg-Warner recommendation back in 1984 was Dextron II.  As this is no longer available, we and TREMEC recommend the 50 wt gear oil.)
Sayd that  50 wt gear oil dont mean nothing to me  .
The link you gave me refers only at dextron 2 .
Thanks !

11/02/2017 4:13 PM  #5

You make a good point, Dextron II is no longer available. I knew that, brain cramp. That manual has no date on it but it must be from about 1984. Current recommendation is Dextron III. The reference for 50 wt gear oil was for Non World Class T5’s. Not what you want.

Dextron III will work fine.

11/02/2017 4:43 PM  #6

11/02/2017 6:04 PM  #7

Thanks Don !
If i found amsoil z rod i have to add the zinc additive for break in ?  Or this oil i enough for break in and regular use ?

Last edited by Alessandro (11/02/2017 6:14 PM)

11/02/2017 8:12 PM  #8

Alessandro wrote:

Thanks Don !
If i found amsoil z rod i have to add the zinc additive for break in ? Or this oil i enough for break in and regular use ?

z rod is all you need

11/03/2017 11:04 AM  #9

11/05/2017 1:14 PM  #10

In a T5 run either the lowest grade Dextron/Mercon auto tranny fluid you can find (either III or IV).  Or, run a quality synthetic auto tranny oil like Amsoil. 

Do not under any circumstance put a heavy weight gear oil in a WC T5; it will destroy it in short order.  The WC T5 has several tiny passages oil must flow through to properly lubricate everything.  Gear oil cannot flow through these passages, and the results are not pretty.

What cam are you using in the engine?  If its a roller cam the concern over zinc is overblown.  A flat tappet cam absolutely needs that zinc, but the reason the zinc was deemed able to be removed was because most of the US fleet at this point runs roller cams, which started being used in the late '80s.  The zinc was in the oil as an extreme pressure additive, which prevented wear at the interface of metal parts under considerable force (like the lifter/cam interface in a flat tappet engine).  In a roller cam engine that interface is constantly moving due to the roller, so the amount of pressure present is very much less, thus the lower zinc levels being okay for use in roller cammed engines. 

To break an engine in, NEVER use synthetic oil.  The rings won't ever seat with it.  A good conventional oil, or specially formulated break in oil is best.  After you get it to 10,000 miles go ahead and switch over to synthetic if you want.  Synthetic has a ton of benefits, but its actually too good to work as a break in oil.  Yes, I know that most new cars come with it from the factory, so how do they do that?  I'm told a very specific honing process on the bores, but no one knows exactly what it is, and thus synthetic may be fine for OEM engines at break in, but anything one of us rebuilt need to use conventional. 

11/05/2017 3:52 PM  #11

10,000 miles? I used Driven brand break in oil BR30. On the bottle it says to change it after nor more than 500 miles. I did that then change it to HR 30. I used 1 qt of oil going to the bash and 1 coming home. That was about 700 miles each way. I could probably go another 500 miles on the break in oil but 10,000 scares me. Is that a type O? An interesting (for me) side note, the lifters clattered for awhile this morning after not starting it for about a month.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

11/05/2017 5:41 PM  #12

For TKO . The engine is oem 289 with flat tappet . I will do break in with mineral oil with zddplus additive . Or if i can find amsoil but is difficult .  Thanks for tips !

11/05/2017 7:16 PM  #13

HudginJ3 wrote:

10,000 miles? I used Driven brand break in oil BR30. On the bottle it says to change it after nor more than 500 miles. I did that then change it to HR 30. I used 1 qt of oil going to the bash and 1 coming home. That was about 700 miles each way. I could probably go another 500 miles on the break in oil but 10,000 scares me. Is that a type O? An interesting (for me) side note, the lifters clattered for awhile this morning after not starting it for about a month.

I see I wasn't 100% clear.  I'm not suggesting running the break in oil for 10,000 miles.  I'm suggesting running conventional oil for 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic so you are sure to fully seat the rings.  I would not go more than 500 miles on the break in oil, and I've often changed it after running in the cam on flat tappet engines just to be safe.  Oil is cheap, engines are expensive and all that. 

11/05/2017 7:20 PM  #14

Alessandro wrote:

For TKO . The engine is oem 289 with flat tappet . I will do break in with mineral oil with zddplus additive . Or if i can find amsoil but is difficult . Thanks for tips !

Amsoil is synthetic oil, good for the trans, not the engine.  Once the engine is broken in Amsoil is great.  I'm not sure what their distribution is internationally, but you can check their website here:

https://www.amsoil.com/

Its pricey oil, but I've had great results with it.  Run in my WRX for 180,000 miles changing at 8,000 with their filter.  Pulled the engine apart about 10,000 miles ago to fix damage from a broken timing belt idler pulley.  No appreciable wear on anything inside.  No ridge in the cylinders, cams and buckets all looked great, really impressive. 

11/05/2017 7:45 PM  #15

If synthetic oil shouldn't be used for break in, how do new engines these days which come with synthetic oil break in the rings and set them?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/05/2017 8:56 PM  #16

11/05/2017 9:25 PM  #17

rpm wrote:

If synthetic oil shouldn't be used for break in, how do new engines these days which come with synthetic oil break in the rings and set them?

They use a specific honing process on the bores that basically makes the rings seat immediately upon start up.  I don't know if it can be duplicated with equipment typically found in a local machine shop. And I wouldn't risk it either.

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/05/2017 9:28 PM)

11/05/2017 9:29 PM  #18

One point to be careful on here is that there is a note on using Diesel oil because it contains a higher concentration of ZDDP.  While that was true in 2014 its no longer the case.  The ZDDP has also been cut way back in Diesel oils too. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/14/2017 11:17 AM)

11/05/2017 9:43 PM  #19

Brad Penn is a great choice for non roller applications. http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/bp_pb/7126_50_44_58_19_BP_PG1_Multigrade_HP_Oils_PB.pdf

11/06/2017 5:25 AM  #20

The ZDDP has also been cut way back in Diesel oils too. 
please could say in another way ? i dont understand it ...

The amsoil is sold in germany but is ( crazy price )   170 usd for 6 quart ... 28 $ each is too much ! . is like gold ! 

Also other brand like penn or spectro are not easy to find here .

So i have found Motul oil 20 w50 mineral base , made for old cars , before 1970  , then i will add zddplus zinc additive .

11/06/2017 3:23 PM  #21

The ZDDP has been reduced in the Diesel oils since 2014.  Its not any better than the oils made for gas engines now in terms of ZDDP content. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.