FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2017 9:35 PM  #1

Radiator question.

As most of you know I am in the middle of a restomod for a daily driver (weather permitting) I have the original radiator from the 70 that is a 3 row with factory A/C 302 and was refurbished before I purchased the vehicle. Do you think the original capacity radiator is enough to cool the 400hp 306 I am installing or should I go with an aftermarket aluminum?

11/06/2017 10:31 PM  #2

Re: Radiator question.

I'm running a 375hp 351w. The radiator is a 4-row stock '66 radiator.  Fan is cut down '70 351w  5 blade.  No shroud.  Shelby front valence. 180 thermostat.  I ran all summer in the 100 deg+ weather we experienced with no problems.

​I think you should try what you have first.  It might just work.  Swapping out a radiator later is not that difficult.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/07/2017 7:34 PM  #3

The stock, three row 24” clamp in radiator was used on Boss 302, Boss 429 and 428CJ cars. Yours will be fine. I have a two row aluminm version (Griffin) in my 66 with the 530HP 427 and no problems. When I had the 400HP 351W in it, I used the three row copper/brass version with no problems.

A 17” flex fan and stock shroud will make a difference.  I am not talking one of those flimsy little thin blade flex fans. You need a high quality fan that will move some air. A clutch type fan will also do the job quite well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/07/2017 8:39 PM  #4

MS wrote:

The stock, three row 24” clamp in radiator was used on Boss 302, Boss 429 and 428CJ cars. Yours will be fine. I have a two row aluminm version (Griffin) in my 66 with the 530HP 427 and no problems. When I h,ad the 400HP 351W in it, I used the three row copper/brass version with no problems.

A 17” flex fan and stock shroud will make a difference. I am not talking one of those flimsy little thin blade flex fans. You need a high quality fan that will move some air. A clutch type fan will also do the job quite well.

​Thanks MS and lcs I will give the unit I have a try first and see how it works. I hate to have to do anything twice, that is the reason for the question, but with your guidance I will give it a shot with the original unit. I will be running electric MS any recommendations​ on fans.?

11/07/2017 9:22 PM  #5

Take a look at the Spal fans. They have a good reputation for moving the advertised amount of air.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/08/2017 4:21 PM  #6

I gave my recommendation on fans.  I am no fan of electric fans on older vehicles, but if that is what you are wanting, just be sure you do a good job of mounting it to the core support and NOT just to the radiator, and wire it professionally.  You would not believe how many overheating Mustangs I have fixed that came in with electric fans and a big loop of leftover wire and electrical components flapping in the breeze, with the fan zip-tied to the radiator core with those crappy plastic studs the vendors provide to mount the fans.  If you are willing to go to the effort to find a good quality OEM Ford electric fan and mount it properly and wire it properly, it will last at least as long as the one on my (then new) 2011 Ford Flex that failed in 2012.

In every case where a Mustang came in overheating as described above, the car left my shop, no longer overheating or waiting for a fan or electrical failure, with a smiling owner and a car they could drive anywhere without overheating.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/08/2017 7:44 PM  #7

Thanks MS I have researched your suggestion on the mechanical clutch fan and have decided to go with a 17" 6 blade fan with a thermal clutch and replace the missing shroud.

Last edited by 70 Coupe (11/08/2017 8:09 PM)

11/08/2017 8:56 PM  #8

lowercasesteve wrote:

I'm running a 375hp 351w. The radiator is a 4-row stock '66 radiator.  Fan is cut down '70 351w  5 blade.  No shroud. " SHELBY FRONT VALENCE"(Key words!!!!)
180 thermostat.  I ran all summer in the 100 deg+ weather we experienced with no problems.

​I think you should try what you have first.  It might just work.  Swapping out a radiator later is not that difficult.

^^^^^^^^^
This!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/08/2017 9:00 PM  #9

I have a Spal fan on my racecar that works quite well. That being said, it is mounted to the radiator support very well with a seal to the radiator core where the ring around the fan contacts the radiator. Since this is a race car I did not want to add the weight of a typical shroud. But it is sealed well to the radiator so that near all the air that the fan blades pull has come through the radiator core. This car has a 302 that makes 430 HP and I can come blasting off the track after a 40 minute race and sit idling in the tech line for 10 to 20 minutes without an issue. So as MS said fans only work well if mounted properly.  That goes for the thermal clutch and flex fans too. Position in shroud and distance from radiator are important. I just don't like the horsepower a mechanical fan takes. Gotta remember though, what I say comes from a racer not a cruizer! A tenth of a second a lap is a lot to me!

11/10/2017 5:28 PM  #10

I ran across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXdLgaFXZzs

Semi-scientific testing of fans.  Very interesting.

They have a number of other episodes dealing with:
Cast Iron exhausts vs shorty headers vs long tube headers
How dents in headers steal horsepower, or not
The difference in HP between H pipe and X pipe
How much HP a full exhaust system kills
The difference between 2 1/2 and 3 inch exhaust systenms
and much more.

11/10/2017 7:21 PM  #11

MS wrote:

I gave my recommendation on fans.  I am no fan of electric fans on older vehicles, but if that is what you are wanting, just be sure you do a good job of mounting it to the core support and NOT just to the radiator, and wire it professionally.  You would not believe how many overheating Mustangs I have fixed that came in with electric fans and a big loop of leftover wire and electrical components flapping in the breeze, with the fan zip-tied to the radiator core with those crappy plastic studs the vendors provide to mount the fans.  If you are willing to go to the effort to find a good quality OEM Ford electric fan and mount it properly and wire it properly, it will last at least as long as the one on my (then new) 2011 Ford Flex that failed in 2012.

In every case where a Mustang came in overheating as described above, the car left my shop, no longer overheating or waiting for a fan or electrical failure, with a smiling owner and a car they could drive anywhere without overheating.

I should of flown you up to Wisconsin about 10 years go to help me fix mine...

11/10/2017 10:33 PM  #12

Funny at the end he recommends an electric fan but in that video they are after total HP loss and not drivability. I will still go with real world Steve's recommendation.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.