FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2017 12:59 PM  #1

Wiper switch gremlin

I have a 65 coupe I replace the wiper switch because the old switch would not park the wipers it would turn them on but when I turned the switch off it would stop wherever It wanted. I ordered a new switch and put it in with the ignition switch on in the engine not running the switch worked properly on off and parking the wipers when I started the engine and turn the wipers on when I shut them off they would not shut off until I shut the  The engine off I don’t know if I’ve got a bad switch or something in my wiring but the old switch would at least shut the wipers off when the engine was running just not park them any ideas thanks

11/16/2017 3:55 PM  #2

Re: Wiper switch gremlin

Mark, that issue is in the park mechanism on the motor itself. My car has had that same issue for a few years now, and I had fixed the problem about 20 years ago. You will need to pull the wiper motor out and work on the park contacts in there. It is not hard to fix once the motor is out, unless the contacts are broken.   I have just put up with mine because it is such a pain to remove the motor.

I am putting mine off until I find the parts from an F100 to replace the motor and have internittent wipers like Bullet Bob has on his. Just need to find the motor.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2017 4:04 PM  #3

MS wrote:

I am putting mine off until I find the parts from an F100 to replace the motor and have internittent wipers like Bullet Bob has on his. Just need to find the motor.

I may be full of the old stuff, Steve, but I think any motor from 67 up will work.  The 66 motor had a weird gearbox to make it reciprocate...all the later ones just make a full revolution and have a simple parking contact.  If you have the F100 switch and intermittent module I think you are good to go.  You will need to mod the motor bracket and add some 1/4" spacers for the motor arm clearance.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2017 9:52 AM  #4

Thanks, Bullet.  I have been meaning to ask you what motor I need.  I think I will just order a new one.

11/17/2017 4:37 PM  #5

Bullet Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

I may be full of the old stuff, Steve, but I think any motor from 67 up will work.  The 66 motor had a weird gearbox to make it reciprocate...all the later ones just make a full revolution and have a simple parking contact.  If you have the F100 switch and intermittent module I think you are good to go.  You will need to mod the motor bracket and add some 1/4" spacers for the motor arm clearance.

BB

How about somebody do a thread in the Tips and How-To section? This sounds good.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

11/17/2017 5:23 PM  #6

Muzz 66 wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

BB

How about somebody do a thread in the Tips and How-To section? This sounds good.

There is already a post on intermittent wiper conversion on the TIPS page. 
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2598

It is a different approach, but maybe Bullet Bob would be willing to follow up on that thread to show how to do the F100 intermittent wipers?

11/17/2017 6:35 PM  #7

MS wrote:

It is a different approach, but maybe Bullet Bob would be willing to follow up on that thread to show how to do the F100 intermittent wipers?

Someone else started the F100 wiper thing.  Either Ultra or Wsinsle, or maybe someone else...sorry for not remembering exactly.  The actual install is pretty simple with the most difficult part being re-drilling the stock bracket to mount the later motor and, of course, working under the dash.  Then I made a couple of 1/4" aluminum spacers so the motor arm wouldn't rub something...the cowl, I think.  The electrics are no biggie if you have the little harness between the intermittent module, the switch, and the motor.  All you need to do is connect the hot lead from the stock dash harness to the wiper switch.  You also will need to shorten the switch shaft a bit.  I don't recall any mods that were necessary to attach the wiper linkage to the motor arm.

It's a great mod.  The wipers are quiet and smooth and the infinitely variable intermittent feature is really nice...use it on the bash trip.

If I have pix of the modifications...my friend was here and did the bracket mod...I'll post something.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2017 6:43 PM  #8

I just did a bit of searching and it looks like the F100 set up is getting a bit hard to find.  I didn't look for the Bronco stuff as mentioned Steve's post above but I'll be that stuff is easier to get and no more trouble to install.  I think you can use any two-speed Ford motor but I really like the 67+ as it doesn't have the goony reversing gear box and is very smooth.  And, once you mod the bracket to accept that type of motor a replacement, if ever needed, should be much easier...and cheaper.

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.