FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2017 9:12 PM  #1

Update to the Fatman Fab front end.

Days before leaving for 2017 Bash I was getting front end aligned on car and things went haywire on the settings. Mechanic and Fatman Fab engineer with some picture evidence led to the discovery we had an older badly designed Steering arms. The Tie Rod connection was too far forward and was putting the rack and pinion into a wierd binding situation when backing up in a tight turn. Fatman stepped up and rebuilt the rack and pinion, provided new arms and teflon blocks for free. My front end is 5 - 6 years old. So they really didn't have to do anything.
I got the new parts in, powder coated them and got everything installed. Tomorrow morning getting front end aligned again.
The steering arms have made the turning radius much better than before. I need to take to a parking lot and really put it in a tight turn to see.
I took some comparative pictures of the old versus new Steering Arms.

11/20/2017 9:13 PM  #2

Re: Update to the Fatman Fab front end.

11/20/2017 9:14 PM  #3

Final result we tie rod ends are close to aligning with the steering arms.

11/20/2017 11:42 PM  #4

That's quite the angle they changed. Good they came through for you. 

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

11/21/2017 8:14 AM  #5

Always good to hear when a company makes good.  There are so many times when all you hear are the negatives. 

11/21/2017 10:06 AM  #6

I dunno, it may be just me but I get real scared when I see any welded steering components!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/21/2017 10:18 AM  #7

Rudi wrote:

I dunno, it may be just me but I get real scared when I see any welded steering components!

Let's hope they "back-ground" the welds to get 100% penetration.
6s6
PS.........BTW.....Nice legs Mochaman!!!!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/21/2017 10:25 AM  #8

Rudi wrote:

Its all about the quality of the welds.  In the 4x4 world welded spindles and steering parts are common, and I've yet to see a failure, even with huge tires and the abuse they go through rockcrawling.  Something that thick I would definitely back bevel, and probably do a root pass and stitch pass on top with blasting in between to remove all traces of slag.  I'd have to stick weld something that thick though.  Guys with the right machines could MIG or TIG those arms. 

11/21/2017 11:39 AM  #9

That's gotta be a bit of a relief there Ed. Think you've got enough time to put her together for the 2018 Bash? 

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/21/2017 10:59 PM  #10

She is already together, got the front end aligned this morning and drove it all day today. Steering is great now. Tighter turning radius than before. I am very happy with the results. I am looking at doing this same front end for Anna's convertible. 

11/22/2017 6:45 AM  #11

Wow Ed. Great customer service from Fatman. Good to hear a company stand behind their product.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/22/2017 8:12 AM  #12

WoW...thats scary looking stuff.....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/22/2017 4:42 PM  #13

Hard to say no to the car that's in a lot of your ads. Glad it's taken care of.

11/24/2017 5:24 PM  #14

Think about a Borgeson.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.