FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2017 1:03 PM  #1

for those have swap 1G to 3G alternator , needs help on wiring 66

Hi everyone , 
i have to connect the old 66 wiring with the new 3g alt and regulator . 
it comes from pa performance , with pigtail for alternator  and a " look a like " regulator .
From me comes out only headache , looking at the oem wirings that was spliced and adapted to a different regulator.
the pigtail was missing and now this is the situation . i dont' know how to connect these wires.
try with no lucy to contact pa performance , they give me only info regarding a generic wiring so not useful.
the pigtail on regulators has  "  i  a  s  f   "   letters but which colors does corrispond ? 
please if someone have this 3 g alt  can explain to a dummies how i can fix it ? 
 i dont know if this connection are in right spot 
the yellow wire were not  used in the previous regulator , now where it goes ? 
the other black red should be grounded .
this is the old connection with alt, . From the new alt , comes out only 1 wire  green / red .

thanks if someone knows something 

Last edited by Alessandro (11/22/2017 1:05 PM)

11/22/2017 2:03 PM  #2

Re: for those have swap 1G to 3G alternator , needs help on wiring 66

Go to PAperformance.com

Click on Alternator tab
Then, click on Mustang (65-66) alternator upgrade.
Once that opens, on top of the page, click on the Blog tab
When it opens, there's a video link tap, open that and watch how they wire up your 3G alternator....
At the 6 minute point of the video is where you should begin watching....

Good luck

11/22/2017 3:48 PM  #3

josh-kebob wrote:

Go to PAperformance.com

Click on Alternator tab
Then, click on Mustang (65-66) alternator upgrade.
Once that opens, on top of the page, click on the Blog tab
When it opens, there's a video link tap, open that and watch how they wire up your 3G alternator....
At the 6 minute point of the video is where you should begin watching....

Good luck

thanks , i have seen this video ,  I dont see the other side connection on regulator  and i have no pigtail on it  
             i need the color  on      i a s f     letters on regulator   of you know . Thanks 

11/22/2017 6:23 PM  #4

11/22/2017 6:53 PM  #5

11/23/2017 1:44 AM  #6

This is the reply from pa performance

We do not have a diagram, but the basic instructions are to put our regulator box in place of your factory regulator box and connect your original field wire to the green wire on the harness we provided. The other 2 wires connect directly to the alternator.
The field wire  It is marked “F” on the voltage regulator.

The previous picture says to put green red in the I of regolator

Pa performance says to put the greed Red in f of regolator   .
Now who is right ?

I have  only 3 wire for old regolator. Yellow.  Gredn / red.    White /black ( comes from alt)

As i do not have the pigtail on rdgulator i dont know where to put these wire .

11/23/2017 10:20 AM  #7

Alessandro,
I know your not converting to a tach, but look at the diagrams in figure 1. There is a difference in how the wires connect to the voltage regulator depending on the use of an Ammeter or a charge indicator light. The diagram comes from the Ford Shop Manual for 67, I haven't found it for a 66. Hope it helps.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/164262d1348605883-1967-mustang-289-tach-install-how-install-tach-67-68-mustang.pdf.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (11/23/2017 10:20 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

11/24/2017 12:03 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Alessandro,
I know your not converting to a tach, but look at the diagrams in figure 1. There is a difference in how the wires connect to the voltage regulator depending on the use of an Ammeter or a charge indicator light. The diagram comes from the Ford Shop Manual for 67, I haven't found it for a 66. Hope it helps.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/164262d1348605883-1967-mustang-289-tach-install-how-install-tach-67-68-mustang.pdf.

Thanks anyway , but yes i have changed the ammeter into volt meter and i will add the rally pack with tacho
now is very messy ! And when wire colors dont correspond .... this is a challenge .
Thanks

11/24/2017 1:04 PM  #9

Get yourself a 1965 mustang charging system wiring diagram. As for the pigtail to connect the regulator Napa sells a replacement.

11/24/2017 3:52 PM  #10

The look a like "regulator" is used by PA Performance to keep the factory ampmeter.
You no longer need it.
Wire it up like the diagram that Steve69 posted.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/25/2017 3:34 AM  #11

50vert wrote:

The look a like "regulator" is used by PA Performance to keep the factory ampmeter.
You no longer need it.
Wire it up like the diagram that Steve69 posted.

Thanks ! 
I realized that i bought this regulator for nothing , because i got now a new volt meter ....
After study , video , info and  and diagram i have found which colors need to be connected .

The video refers to orange  ( mustang 66 is white ) field
The other one refers to black  ( mustang 66 is black /yellow ) batt on alternator..

Now i will connect wires and check all is in the right spot .

Thanks all

Ps.  I found different wiring colors from  different service books  for the same  users . Beware !

11/25/2017 4:39 AM  #12

Great .....  just don't forget the resistor.

11/25/2017 11:00 AM  #13

50vert wrote:

Great .....  just don't forget the resistor.

mmm.... i forget some wire ???    what about resistor  ? 

thanks for help a dummie  ! yep 

11/25/2017 4:29 PM  #14

'The alternator needs the resistance of a charge indicator light to "excite" the alt to start charging.
If you look at the diagram that Steve69 posted, you will see a 560 ohm resistor wired inline with the green/red ignition wire.
This simulates the resistance of a light bulb.
The diagram also shows a system with a charge light as well .... like a 65. It also has a resistor wired around light bulb .... this is so that it will continue to charge if the light bulb burns out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.