FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2018 4:36 PM  #1

Timing Cover, Water Pumps and Radiator?

I am building a 331 for my 64.5  set.  At this point, I only have a bare roller block out of an 86 Mustang, so all accessories will need to be purchased.

Since I am starting from scratch, is there a more desirable set up to use in terms of timing covers, water pumps and rads?    I know I need the dipstick in the timing cover and will need to plug the dipstick hole in the block, but what about water pumps- standard or reverse rotation- or radiators. Any reason to use one set up over another?

If you were starting from scratch, what set up would you go with?

Thanks!

Edit- I probably should add that the car will be carb’d, at least initially.

Last edited by Chaplin (1/02/2018 4:41 PM)

1/02/2018 6:20 PM  #2

Re: Timing Cover, Water Pumps and Radiator?

Standard or reverse rotation water pumps will depend on if you are going with V-belts or serpentine belt system.

1/02/2018 6:32 PM  #3

Thanks.  While I like the serpentine systems, I’ll probably be going with the old fashioned v-belts.

1/02/2018 6:34 PM  #4

I "think".......if going with AC/power steering/(and other "girlie" accessories) I would shoot for the serpentine set-up. If $$$$$$ is no object(or a very understanding wife) I would do the chrome March pulleys. They really look  bad a-$.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/02/2018 6:45 PM  #5

I would leave the dipstick in the block and go with a cover that allows the serpentine belt setup. But if you need a manual fuel pump that changes things. Can you do serpentine with a manual fuel pump?

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

1/02/2018 6:46 PM  #6

If the only accessory is an alternator, go with a V-belt.

If you plan on AC and power steering, the pulleys, idler pulleys, and brackets could be difficult to find. A complete serpentine system should still be available from a local pick and pull. Good luck.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/02/2018 6:55 PM  #7

Thanks. No AC or power steering either, only turning the Alt.

And I was planning or a manual fuel pump.

1/03/2018 1:21 PM  #8

The 1965 timing cover uses an aluminum water pump without a back cover - the timing cover itself is the back side of the water pump.  It is lighter than later versions and works well.

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

1/03/2018 4:43 PM  #9

When I did my 331 I used the timing cover and water pump from the  68, 289 that it replaced, both were in excellent condition.
  At the time I had mechanical fan, power steering pump, 3-G alternator  and A/C all with March "V" belt pulley set up and mechanical fuel pump.As you can see in the photo belw the hydraulic P/S garbage has been removed in favor of EPAS, which by the way I absolutely love.
 I also upgraded the rad to a three core Champion.

Last edited by Rudi (1/03/2018 5:16 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/04/2018 11:15 AM  #10

Chaplin wrote:

Thanks. No AC or power steering either, only turning the Alt.

And I was planning or a manual fuel pump.

Swatt-eye have and......the v-belt set-up works great.
6sal6
PS........I recently changed to a "tricked-out" gilmer belt drive(cog belt) on my alt./water pump drive. Looks trick butt the V-belt worked fine.
FYI........i run an electric fan also.

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/04/2018 11:16 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/05/2018 6:34 PM  #11

Thanks, guys. So, 65 timing cover with aluminum water pump, standard v-belt set up and 3-row rad with inlet on passenger side?

6S6-
That Gilmer drive systems really does look great.  My only concern with that set up would be finding replacement belts. Do they use a belt that is readily available at a local parts store or is it only available through Gilmer?

1/05/2018 8:16 PM  #12

Pretty sure Rock Auto caries them..........I just carry a spare! Only had one to break and that was my fault. Since it's cogged....no need to pull it down super tight.
6s6

1/06/2018 9:43 AM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

Pretty sure Rock Auto caries them..........I just carry a spare! Only had one to break and that was my fault. Since it's cogged....no need to pull it down super tight.
6s6

Thanks.

By the way, what fan are you using?

1/06/2018 5:54 PM  #14

"Woo-nose"..........I bought it at Advance  coming from  a rode trip out west.
My other one  "toe-up" just outside Memphis.................in the middle of road construction and rush hour.(of course!)
Works great. Hardly ever come on even in summer.  Thanx to the Shelby apron. Bumper-to-bumper in mid summer it comes on. Once moving it cuts off. Great!
6sal6

1/11/2018 10:07 PM  #15

Since you're stroking the engine you won't need to worry about the 86 flat top piston with the weird valve reliefs in them. I think the trick flows were the only heads that worked well without any mods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also recall something about the 86 blocks having a tall lifter bore bosses, so you can use link bar lifters and have to pull heads to remove lifters. Does anyone remember something about that?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.