FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2018 4:36 PM  #1

New four post lift coming January 23 !!!

I ordered a new four post lift exactly like the one I had in Ovilla.  It will be delivered and installed on the 23rd.  In preparation, I had to modify my garage door tracks to get the doors to go up higher.  The torsion springs had to be replaced with stronger ones to support more of the door's weight.  Normally the door rests on the horizontal part of the tracks so the spring is not supporting so much weight.  And the shaft drive openers are the only way to go.  I will NEVER install another overhead type opener.  The Liftmaster shaft drive  openers are silent and they incorporate an electric deadbolt when the door is down.  Not to mention simple to install.

My real trouble is my garage is barely 21' deep from the door opening to the far wall.  I may have to turn the lift 90 degrees to be able to pull an engine.  Luckily it has wheels, and can be moved even with a car on it.

I cannot wait for the lift to be installed so I can get to work pulling the aluminum Dart 427 (plain vanilla stroker, to some) so I can change the cam and pull out that lifter that is wedged into its bore.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/13/2018 5:15 PM  #2

Re: New four post lift coming January 23 !!!

How high is your ceiling?

1/13/2018 7:47 PM  #3

Boy I need one of those bad.  I'm pretty sure my ceilings are high enough though.  I like what you did with your garage door tracks and motor in Ovilla.  That would be what I'd have to do if I were to get a lift.

Last edited by mustangermike (1/13/2018 7:48 PM)

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

1/13/2018 8:14 PM  #4

Love those Liftmaster garage door openers. I highly recommend them to everyone I hear is needing a new garage door opener. 

1/14/2018 8:04 AM  #5

Just curious what brand of lift allows you to move it with a car on it?

IF IT'S TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD

1/14/2018 12:22 PM  #6

Nice ingenuity!  At some point I'd like to get a 4 post to go with my 2 post.  I've got the space and it would allow me to stack two cars in the shop.  Plus 4 posts are nice for exhaust, trannies, subframe connectors, etc.

Oh, and come on!  No one would call and all aluminum Dart blocked 427 stroker "vanilla"!  An aluminum block still pins the cool meter! 

1/14/2018 6:57 PM  #7

The wall height above the doors is 10’- 4”. The ceiling is vaulted to about 14’-6” in the center.

The lift is an Atlas 8,000 -ext that has casters that can go under it to move it. You drive the car on it without the casters installed, then raise the car about a foot. Then install the casters and lower the car all the way down. It holds the runways about 2” off the floor, supported by the casters.  Then it can be rolled around.
My old lift had the same caster system, but I never planned to move it and gave the casters to Ernest since he got a lift that did not come with casters.

1/14/2018 8:01 PM  #8

MS is that the garage on the house or did you get a new shop built???

1/14/2018 10:20 PM  #9

This is the house three car garage. I decided to see if I can make it work before I drop a bunch of cash on a new garage separate from the house.

I do not plan to be doing such extensive projects, so hopefully I can make do with what I have.

1/15/2018 8:14 AM  #10

My four post lift is an Atlas too with the caster attachments and I use them with a car on every now and then. Usually when I need more room in the other bay to paint or something. The wheels on mine are iron so you need to make sure the floor is clean so the grit you run over doesn't ruin that fancy paint job on your floor. I think the newer ones have urethane wheels which should be better.

1/15/2018 9:57 AM  #11

The 4 - post are gold !!!  We have mine double stacked as we speak.

1/15/2018 1:48 PM  #12

My 4 post is always double stacking unless I am working on something. It is my alignment spot and great for body work too. The two post seems to get more time of use since I let the kids use it too. It is great for brake and exhaust work as well as oil changes and tire rotations. I just sit and watch the kids do that. Now that I have had them, I couldn't do without!

1/15/2018 2:06 PM  #13

DC wrote:

Now that I have had them, I couldn't do without!

Which...the lifts or the kids.  LOL

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/15/2018 7:18 PM  #14

1/16/2018 8:44 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

DC wrote:

Now that I have had them, I couldn't do without!

Which...the lifts or the kids.  LOL

BB

Both or all three, I am working with the Grandkids now!

1/16/2018 5:16 PM  #16

I've got the same caster set up on my 4-post. Without a car on it, it moves around the garage with ease. It can be moved around with a car on it, but it requires considerably more effort. If you want to move it with a car on it, make sure the casters are all pointing in the same direction and in the direction you want to move it before you lower the lift down into the casters otherwise it may become a 2 person job to move it where you want it.

1/16/2018 7:29 PM  #17

Those double wide, four post lifts are neat, but one lesson every new lift owner learns real quick about double stacking cars is that you have to move the lower car out of the way in order to use the lift to work on the upper car. And if you want to drive the car parked on top, you have to move the lower vehicle waaay out of the way so can get the car out. This turns out, in reality, to be a real PITA.

WITH A DOUBLE WIDE, you have to move both lower cars way out of the way in order to lower it and get one upper car off the lift.  If you have the typical residential driveway, this means you put two cars out on the street until you get back from the car show in the car you want to put back on top.
The logistics of it all can make your head spin.  Plus your wife is not going to want to navigate and park her ride under the lift. It is a real tight fit.

So, double stack parking is great if you have a dedicated place for it and enough alternate parking spots to put the displaced lower cars.  I had considered the double wide setup, but two singles side by side would make alot more sense to me.  That is unless you are Jay Leno with hundreds of cars to store long term.

1/17/2018 10:12 PM  #18

If you get the extended height lift, you can get a lowered Ram truck under it with 1/2” to spare!  But you have to fold the mirrors in to get between the posts.  Not worth the effort in my book.

1/18/2018 11:09 AM  #19

My two post is extra tall extra wide so I can pull my 102 inch wide trailer through it. It also doesn't require folding mirrors on the truck. With the Mustang on the lift I can get it high enough to drive the truck through pulling the race car into storage. My four post is in an 8 foot ceiling place so I can only get the hood of a car under it with a Mustang on the lift. That is enough to get two cars in that bay though.

1/19/2018 5:43 AM  #20

I don't have to fold in the mirrors on my F250 for my two post either.  Its an extra tall model as well, the top bar just clears the ceiling in my shop, which is over 14'.  But I needed to be able to get my F250 and any other reasonably sized vehicle I might buy for my business in the future (van, box truck, etc.). 

5/27/2020 1:12 PM  #21

I am redoing my roof at the house and will be hand framing a 6/12 roof on the garage. this will let me lift my Stand up to 6-8 so I can walk under the lift. Cant wait for late summer. 
Which lift would you all recumbent. Benpak or the atlas, I need adjustable colum stops too.

Last edited by Cab4word67 (5/27/2020 1:16 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/27/2020 3:09 PM  #22

Cab4word67 wrote:

I am redoing my roof at the house and will be hand framing a 6/12 roof on the garage.

Steep! Don't fall off that roof!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/27/2020 4:36 PM  #23

I bought a Direct Lift 4-post and have had it for a few years and love it. A few friends have also purchased Direct Lifts and all have had good luck with them. They are made by the same company that makes Rotary and, as far as I can tell, other than the color and price tag, it appears to be identical to Rotary. I am not sure if they offer adjustable stops, though. Worth a look.

Last edited by Chaplin (5/28/2020 8:38 AM)

5/27/2020 9:22 PM  #24

My Direct Lift has adjustable stops.  My shop floor has just a tad of fall toward the door but the lift is dead level when it's on a stop.  I bought a model that raises 6' 9" from the floor to the bottom of the tracks/tracks/whatever.  My shop isn't large but with the lift all the way up you can work in the shop on various projects and never even notice the lift, except for the posts. 

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/27/2020 9:27 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/28/2020 5:27 PM  #25

I have had several visitors in my garage that, after hanging out in the shop for a while, ask where my Mustang is.  I just point up in the air.  They are surprised they never even saw the lift.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.