FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2018 11:16 AM  #1

Frozen air compressor?

Anybody got any tricks to get frozen oil out of an air compressor that apparently has enough water condensed into the oil to freeze up to the point that it turns over so hard it won't start? This winter has been terrible for condensation since I don't heat the garage all the time. The compressor is a Curtis Toledo 3 cylinder 5HP two stage unit. I went out this morning and it tripped the breaker when I turned it on, It is in a shed on the back of the garage. Been their 20 years and this is the first problem. Had an oil change late summer and all looked good. The sight glass is very milky looking from all the water. 

1/18/2018 11:55 AM  #2

Re: Frozen air compressor?

got an old electric blanket?

1/18/2018 12:36 PM  #3

No electric blanket but I like the thought. I see they have magnetic oil pan heaters though. I might try a couple of those and see if I can get it warm enough to drain then refill with synthetic compressor oil. I should come up with something to flush the goo out when I drain it. Anybody know of a flush to get the moisture out?

1/18/2018 12:42 PM  #4

Leave the breaker open so it can't try to come on.  Wrap it with an old electric blanket as Josh suggests or place a couple of 100w bulbs  (drop lights) in with the compressor where they can't touch the blankets and cover it with a couple of old blankets, towels, tarp, etc.  I've use a 100w bulb and old blankets/tarp to keep my irrigation pump from freezing when we get an early or late freeze.  Just be sure the blankets can't get too close to the blankets...don't want to burn down the shop trying to save the  compressor.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (1/18/2018 12:43 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/18/2018 1:19 PM  #5

How about a heating pad??

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/18/2018 4:21 PM  #6

How bout one of those heating cables that are used to thaw frozen eaves troughs, unique to the the North,  perhaps unheard of in the South.
 Wrap one around the base of the tank and it should do the trick.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/18/2018 4:46 PM  #7

1/18/2018 8:33 PM  #8

Mine was sounding kind of funny also with the very cold weather. 

1/19/2018 9:14 AM  #9

I talked to the compressor folks about cold weather start up. After some discussion they decided the big problem is the water emulsified in the oil. What is in the crankcase looks like vanilla ice cream at 0 degrees. I found that if I put power to it for a few seconds then off and a few seconds later back on it will kick over with all pressure off of it (tank at 0 psi). The big question I have is how to get the "ice cream" out of the thing and get some synthetic oil in it which Curtis recommends. Looks like I may get lucky with 40 degree weather the next couple of days. I had on of those head cables in my hand yesterday at Home Depot, but the numbers say it is not enough watts. I dug through my stash and found a heating element out of a seal jaw for a wrapper and I have a big rheostat that I can control surface temp on it since the element has a built in thermocouple. I think I will remove the drain plug and insert this heat element and set the rheostat for 250 to 300 degrees. Should thaw it out in a while then flush with fresh oil a couple of times to try to get the moisture. Does anyone know of an oil additive that would help flush the moisture?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.