FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2018 6:27 PM  #1

Big trouble Dumb Dumb Misplaced his keys

Misplaced the only set of keys for my 66 coupe .I have searched the entire  garage and house to no avail.
Any advice other then calling me stupid which i deserve would be appreciated . What should i do next. It does have the original ignition switch , and door locks  but a new trunk lock  if i ever find them ist thing i will have another set made thats a given

1/19/2018 7:31 PM  #2

Re: Big trouble Dumb Dumb Misplaced his keys

A good old school locksmith should be able to make you a new key providing he has a blank with the proper key way. I worked for a bank for 20 years and we were always having it done for foreclosures and repo cars. Of course as soon as you do anything the keys will turn up.

Last edited by BillyC (1/19/2018 7:32 PM)

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/19/2018 7:40 PM  #3

No sense in name calling.
They will be in the last place you look when you find them.  I say look some more for a while. You may be able to pull the ignition switch and have a locksmith pick it to make a key. Should be less time consuming than installing new door locks. Take your trunk lock and have it keyed to match while you’re at it.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/19/2018 8:49 PM  #4

Pull a door lock out, it should be the same as the ignition key,(cos thats never coming out without a key).
Take it to a locksmith and have a key made.
Do you have a locking glovebox? That key is the same as the trunk.
If not .... a yard or so of socket extensions will reach the trunk lock to remove it .... with the backseat out.
Did you make it really hard by locking the car before misplacing the keys?
I'd look some more.

Last edited by 50vert (1/19/2018 8:57 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

1/19/2018 9:16 PM  #5

no the doors were not locked as it was in the garage . Thanks for the advice on the fact that the ignition key works the doors also.

1/19/2018 10:37 PM  #6

Keep looking, they'll turn up.  If you had the keys recently, re-check jacket pockets, jean pockets, etc.

Recently, I was away from home for a couple weeks and upon my return my wife asked me  what hapeend to the mailbox keys? How would I know, in the past two weeks you've been the one using them.  She also couldn't find the garage door opener and a pair of gloves.
One thing she did find.      she found fault with me for someting I did wrong!

In the end, the missing keys turned up in her jacket pocket.........good luck..

1/20/2018 8:34 AM  #7

Did you check inside the car?

1/20/2018 10:51 AM  #8

check the kids or grandkids toys we found keys in the trunk of a little tikes coupe lol

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

1/20/2018 11:17 AM  #9

Would be a GREAT time to replace the locks/ignition switch with a new/"trick" pony key and lox. Check Mustangs Unlimited or the others. After 50 years even stuff like keyz and lox wear out. Pretty cheap upgrade too!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/20/2018 12:02 PM  #10

Might check the washer or dryer?

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

1/20/2018 9:14 PM  #11

red351 wrote:

It's so easy to hot wire these ol rides, who needs a stinken key.........

Now, theres a sign of a mispent youth! 

1/21/2018 7:06 AM  #12

My 68 didn't  have any keys when I got it. I had the locksmith come out and make some. He had it done in no time, and didn't pull any locks. Works good last long time.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/21/2018 9:46 AM  #13

red351 wrote:

Things we did in our youth when no keys
Repurpose headlight switch= Headlights to start    parking lites to run
And for headlights - just plug the thing into cig. lighter..........what can go wrong?

Ah the good old days.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/22/2018 8:30 PM  #14

Did you check the trunk lock? I have left  my keys in that damned lock more than once. Open the trunk with something in you hands and then walk away leaving the keys in the lock.......

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/22/2018 10:21 PM  #15

Ron68 wrote:

Did you check the trunk lock? I have left  my keys in that damned lock more than once. Open the trunk with something in you hands and then walk away leaving the keys in the lock.......

Oh ya, ditto.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/22/2018 11:27 PM  #16

Or on the floor of the boot ... then close the boot lid.
Or have it close because you've got a luggage rack on the lid .... and an ant walks over it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.