FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2018 9:38 AM  #1

Heater switch wiring

Is the wiring a separate item for the heater switch on a v8 car and not on a6cyl

2/04/2018 2:22 PM  #2

Re: Heater switch wiring

I'm not sure what year car you are working on, but for my 65 & 66 cars, I have found the various original Ford diagrams that are posted on the averagejoerestoration.com website VERY helpful.    The links to various diagrams are on the right side of the home page.  The heater wiring is on the "accessories" diagram.

My 66 is a 6 cyl car and the 65 is a V8 car.  The differences I have noted between the two seem to be based on the fan speeds offered, not cylinders.  My 65 has a 2 speed heater blower, and the 66 is a 3 speed blower.

2/04/2018 2:42 PM  #3

Early 65s had different wiring than later 65s. You need to know if it is pre April 1965 I believe. 

2/05/2018 8:51 AM  #4

Tim C is correct.  The heater blower switches are completely different and not interchangeable.  The 65 uses a two-speed motor while the 66 uses a single speed motor that incorporates a resistor block the changes the 3 speeds.  There is no difference between 6 cyl and V8 applications for each of the those years.

TimC wrote:

I'm not sure what year car you are working on, but for my 65 & 66 cars, I have found the various original Ford diagrams that are posted on the averagejoerestoration.com website VERY helpful.    The links to various diagrams are on the right side of the home page.  The heater wiring is on the "accessories" diagram.

My 66 is a 6 cyl car and the 65 is a V8 car.  The differences I have noted between the two seem to be based on the fan speeds offered, not cylinders.  My 65 has a 2 speed heater blower, and the 66 is a 3 speed blower.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/06/2018 7:51 PM  #5

I have a 65 with a resistor in the box, a 4 position blower switch. I bought the car and the switch wiring was hacked up. I bought a new switch so i am just wanting to verify installation. 

switch wiring plug goes to 3 prong on resistor
im guessing the single prong left on resistor needs 12v switched power (wasnt there)
the blower wires go to the yellow and brown on harness that runs along firewall

Thanks in advance for help

12/07/2018 7:17 AM  #6

While the switch has 4 positions; off, speed 1, 2 & 3, this is usually referred to as a 3-position switch.

Switch wiring goes to 3 prong on resistor - correct
The single wire (yellow) on the resistor block goes to the firewall bulkhead connector, then to the motor.
Power is supplied from the fuse block (brown wire) to the bulkhead connector, then to the motor.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/07/2018 10:49 AM  #7

rgamble wrote:

im guessing the single prong left on resistor needs 12v switched power (wasnt there)

You would think that would be the spot for positive but its not. As Bob states the brown wire comes from the fuse block to the fire wall connector and supplies +12 volts to the motor. The yellow wire is the return and goes back to ground via the resister block to the switch. To much paint and or rust behind the dash where the switch mounts will cause loss of ground and the blower motor will not work.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/07/2018 4:48 PM  #8

wsinsle wrote:

rgamble wrote:

You would think that would be the spot for positive but its not. As Bob states the brown wire comes from the fuse block to the fire wall connector and supplies +12 volts to the motor. The yellow wire is the return and goes back to ground via the resister block to the switch. To much paint and or rust behind the dash where the switch mounts will cause loss of ground and the blower motor will not work.

Walt ... Maaate!!  Long time no hear .... are you and Brenda gunna make the bash??

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

12/07/2018 5:47 PM  #9

So the yellow wire in the harness that runs along the firewall that connects directly to blower motor should go back to harness block, run under dash and then hook to the single wire tab left on the resistor on heater box?

12/08/2018 8:41 PM  #10

rgamble wrote:

So the yellow wire in the harness that runs along the firewall that connects directly to blower motor should go back to harness block, run under dash and then hook to the single wire tab left on the resistor on heater box?

That is correct. Hope this pic helps.

Barry I sent you a message. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.