FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2018 9:42 PM  #1

Rear axle vent problem.

I finished rehabbing an 8 inch rear. I went with 3.55 gears.  Donor car was a ‘72 Maverick. I get it all back together and I’m putting the brake lines on the housing.  I figure the old vent tube which also holds on the rear distribution block will screw right in. Wrong. It’s way too small. Crud. I figured it was a 1/2 inch fine thread hole. Wrong. Turns out to be a 9/16 fine thread hole. The vent tube and dist block were missing after somebody took it out of the Maverick so I don’t know what came off of it. The cut brake lines terminated where a vent tube and block would be so, obviously, something was there. Seems nobody has vent tubes that size and everything Mustang from ‘65 to ‘73 are 7/16 inch tubes. My local speed shop was stumped also but offered to weld a bung or nut inside the axle tube so I can use normal parts.  So... anyone else run into this?  Do 9/16 inch axle vent tubes exist? If they do exist does a distribution block exist with a 9/16 inch hole?  Just wanted to see if anyone else out there ran into this problem or knows what parts I need to fit that hole. BTW it looks like nice, factory threads in the axle tube but since axel tubes are relatively thin, who knows?  Thanks, in advance.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/20/2018 11:27 PM  #2

Re: Rear axle vent problem.

The distribution block to which you refer is actually part of the rear flex hose on a '72 Maverick (your '6 Mustang too for that matter). 

As for the breather, there is a nipple that screws through the junction block into those threads.  Here's a link to Mustangs Unlimited's listing for Mustangs.  No details given, but you should be able to call and find out the thread size and count. 

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=axle+vent

If neither of those work you can try a NAPA.  I know Dorman makes several different size vent nipples, but you'll need a catalog or their computer system to match them up.  The year/make probably won't help.  Those parts are usually sold by dimensions alone, so have all that info with you. 

3/21/2018 6:47 AM  #3

Or...anyone with a lathe can make what you need if it's just plain not available.  I think I made one for the 8.8 conversion in our 66 or maybe I just drilled a bolt and tapped a 1/8 pipe hose barb into the head.  Can't recall but I remember having to do something at that point.  If you have no luck I'll crawl under and let you know what I did.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/21/2018 6:52 AM  #4

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

3/21/2018 8:47 PM  #5

I think it is 7/16" thread.  I know I don't have a 9/16" tap, and I in stall one every once in a while.  CJPony has the hollow bolts.  They should come in LONG or SHORT version.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2018 12:33 AM  #6

I have both the long and short versions and yes, they are 7/16 fine thread. My problem is the hole in my axel tube is 9/16. NO ONE, except me it seems, has this issue.  My speed shop guy said he’ll just tack a nut in the tube so the regular 7/16 parts will fit like they should. There’s plenty of room between the axel and tube. Just one of those oddball setbacks I guess.
I am going to try TKO’s suggestion and see what Napa can find for me with Dorman as a last resort. There’s a helpful gal at our nice, new Napa in town.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (3/22/2018 12:39 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/22/2018 6:59 AM  #7

The axle vent is not so really important . But you must have it , something that allows air to move without oil leak .
You can always weld a nut and use oem parts .  I use to drill the bolt and insert a gooseneck pipe . Is more than enough

3/26/2018 7:21 PM  #8

I eventually figured out that the hole in the axle tube was 5/8 not 9/16. Even bigger than I wrongly ay-soomed.  I also noticed that when you ask for Maverick parts you are looked upon like Pinto, Edsel, Mustang II or Hoyt-Clagwell owners. (Apologies to any owners of those reading). Anyway the problem has been solved with a welder and a 7/16 tap and die set. It’s amazing how the smallest thing can set you back a week. I haven’t used some of those words in years.

3/26/2018 7:43 PM  #9

Wow, that's weak.  The Maverick was a cool car.  Definitely not anywhere near the Pinto or Mustang II.  The Edsel is old enough now that its got a kind of cool to it I think.  They were actually luxurious, well-built cars.  The Edsel's issue was that it had no market, because it was too expensive.  A lot of people assume its failure was in some way due to design or quality, but its really just an example of how a company (really the CEO in this case) was out of touch with the market, and produced a car that no one was willing to buy.  At that price at least, especially given the stiff in house competition from Mercury, which was seen as Ford's upscale offering, similar to the difference between a Chevy and say a Buick. 

I confess I had to look up Hoyt-Clagwell.  Ah, that's just ignorance it seems.  Old tractors are always cool.  Its just once you get past JD and IH most people don't know an Alice Chalmers from a Massey Ferguson. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.