FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2018 8:34 PM  #1

"Invented" a new tool. Upgrade for my engine build stand

I use the word "invented" lightly because I know there are engine stands with something similar built into them already on the market and also I am sure I am not the first to modify mine the way I did.  I used an old hand winch, some scrap steel left over from other projects, as well as some chain, a freehub and a sprocket cassette from a bicycle, to build an easy crank rotation setup for my engine stand.

This is the receiver I built to go in the end of the engine stand.  I cut apart a freehub and welded part of it to the top of the receiver 

The largest sprocket from the cassette is easily mounted to the welded on freehub

These are the pieces I machined to lock the the receiver to the handle holes in the engine stand

This is 1/4" thick angle iron boxed in with gussets and drilled to mount the hand wench.

This is what it looks like fully assembled.

With all the gears the ratio is 10.56:1  It cranks really easily most of the way around, it does get a little harder as it comes back up to the top, but it is still way easier than spinning it over by hand.

Here is a video of it in use
https://youtu.be/2dniOzpRUfU

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/21/2018 8:43 PM  #2

Re: "Invented" a new tool. Upgrade for my engine build stand

Spinning it over has everything to do with how high you adjust the CG when bolted to the stand.  The drive sprocket should make it a lot easier no matter where the engine is mounted.

Would not work for me because I always bolt the engine mount to the block before slipping it into the stand.  I can put a 302 on the stand without using a hoist that way.  I bolt the mount to the engine block, then lay the stand on the floor with the tube pointing up.  Stand the engine on the end so the mount tube fits into the stand's tube.  Then raise the engine up by hand, already bolted to the engine stand.  Takes some practice, but I have gotten pretty good at it.

All boils down to being too lazy to get the engine hoist out!  And we all know laziness is the mother of invention.

Now you just need to mount a brake caliper on the sprocket so you can stop it from rotating if you need to.  A worm drive gear works great for that because when you stop cranking, it stops no matter the position.

I do enjoy seeing your stuff.  You must lay awake at night a lot!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/21/2018 9:19 PM  #3

MS wrote:

Would not work for me because I always bolt the engine mount to the block before slipping it into the stand.  

I designed it so that the crank can be detached as an assembly so that I can bolt the engine mount up first. then insert it into the stand.
Only takes a couple of minutes to remove or attach.

MS wrote:

Now you just need to mount a brake caliper on the sprocket so you can stop it from rotating if you need to.  A worm drive gear works great for that because when you stop cranking, it stops no matter the position.

The lock on the winch works for about 75% of the rotation but it does get to a point where the weight of the engine pulls the wrong way and it would slip without a lock. For now I just use the hole in the top of the stand and the corresponding holes every 1" or so on the engine mount.  I simply drop a 1/2" bolt in the hole and the engine is locked in place.  I want to build a spring loaded lock that uses the top hole and requires you to press a release to rotate it.  My thinking is it would be a good safety stop should the chain brake.  it would only rotate to the next hole.

MS wrote:

I do enjoy seeing your stuff.  You must lay awake at night a lot!

Thanks!!  And you are absolutely correct.  I love problem solving and have the hardest time shutting my mind off at night.  I come up with a lot of ideas but don't get much sleep.  Like I have said lots of times before I spend more time building stuff in my head than I actually do building it in the real world but by the time I get around to the fabrication most of the problems are solved and things tend to go smoothly.  This project didn't go as smooth as others because I had never worked with bicycle parts before other than tuning up my bike.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

3/21/2018 10:18 PM  #4

MS wrote:

A worm drive gear works great for that because when you stop cranking, it stops no matter the position.

Dang it MS now you have me redesigning the tool I just finished building.  Harbor Freight sells a 40:1 2000 lb capacity hand wench for a little less than $30.  I could easily adapt one to my stand and eliminate the chain all together.  Guess I won't be getting any sleep tonight either 

3/22/2018 8:11 AM  #5

I'm impressed, as always, Day!  Great job!

3/22/2018 12:20 PM  #6

red351 wrote:

Daze  I think you have too much free time

THAT pretty much sums it up!!!  I guess it is still winter up in the north country!

Maybe a stock 289 mounted over to the side could power a hydraulic pump with a rotary actuator to rotate the engine!

Last edited by MS (3/22/2018 12:22 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2018 12:51 PM  #7

MS wrote:

And we all know laziness is the mother of invention.

Bingo! And so true. Why have I never heard that line before?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/23/2018 2:00 PM  #8

Now that’s some handi work.

I crash and burn when I finally get to bed. I work those problems out driving back and forth to work.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.